Aspheric Mag, holy cow this is cool!

KingGlamis

Banned
Just got my Aspheric lens from Surplus Shed today and holy cow this lens is cool. I got the 50x35mm lens, which fit right in my 4D Mag, although the bezel will not screw down all the way. But that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Unfortunately it's not dark here yet, so it will be a bit before I can do an outside throw test, but my inside tests indicate that the throw will be great (which is why I bought this lens). However, I never read anyone mention that an Aspheric lens can improve flood. I had no idea! Below is a pic of the flood output. The color may not be the best, but damn, that's a BIG flood area! Much more usable than the typical Mag "rings" that we all hate.

More pics later.

AsphericLens1.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That lens will fit in the Mag head, it just takes a little force. When it's seated, there's a 2mm gap between the lens and the bezel. Then you may want to put a thick O-ring between the two.

Anyway, my aspheric using that same lens throws a spot over 600ft (6ft circle @300ft). If I adjust the head to as tight as possible, then I have a medium flood beam that reaches over 300 ft(40ft circle).

KingGlamis

Banned
So right before I went out to test the new lens in the dark we got hit with a storm. Light rain, high winds, lightning, etc. But I still got a few shots (thankfully my camera is water proof).

In this first shot of the spot beam I inadvertantly caught a little bit of lightning in the shot (sorry, but my camera sucks at night, and the blowing dust and rain made it worse).

AsphericLens2.jpg

This is the throw to some really tall palm trees. Not that bright, but with the stock lens the light barely reaches this high at all. And remember, this is with a stock Mag LED insert. I'll be looking into a better emitter for sure.

AsphericLens5.jpg

Lighting up the entrance to our house. I love the flood of this lens!

AsphericLens3.jpg

The flood on the grass. My camera really doesn't do this light justice. I think it has the most usable light of any light I have ever owned.

AsphericLens4.jpg

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it's seated, there's a 2mm gap between the lens and the bezel.

It would be easy to fix that with a lathe! Or even a file, and you wouldn't even have to be careful for a good result. (File the head, where the lens is seating, by the ~2mm needed to close the gap.)

KingGlamis

Banned
The aspheric mag has benefits nobody ever mentions.

I have never been more impressed by a light than I have been tonight with this Aspheric Mag. I'm surprised everyone on this board doesn't own an Aspheric-lensed light of some sort (I'm sure an appropriately sized lens would work great on just about any light). I just wish my camera could better show what my eyes are seeing. It's amazing.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the effect be the same if it was an incan cos I don't see anyone talking about an incan aspheric??

You could use an aspheric for flood with an incan, but not throw, as the lens projects the image of the light source. In an LED, this is an even square, which is much more useful than the squiggle filament of an incan.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
I got mine last week that Ledean made for me (I have one on order from RcatR too :)...greedy). It is pretty cool. I haven't had chance to try it outside yet.

Flood is a relative term. but when focused to be floody the beam is almost even in intensity without a hotspot like a reflectored cree...it has a blue edge to the beam in flood mode.

when focues the intesity of the light is nice. Its hard to say for sure with out light meters.....but its not far off the peak of my wolfeyes boxer 24W hid......obviously for a very small area in comparison...impressive though.

Stu

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please correct me if I'm totally mistaken, but the beam appears to have NO flood aspect at all. This is why the original inova x1 was so unpopular. The beam looks to me like a 'moon' type spotlight. If you mean that there is no hotspot within the beam projection, well that's what you get with aspherical lenses. No stray rays are bounced off the reflector or emitted at an angle; everything that hits the lens is focused into one tight spot.

Try taking the bezel off your maglight and you will see the flood/spill. With the aspherical lens on, you are treated to the flashlight's increased throw.

Mad1

Enlightened
Wow that really is something else.

Would it work with a ROP?