Avoiding 3AA & 3AAA Lights

Don_Redondo

Newly Enlightened
Electronic issues aside, I actually like the form factor of the 3 AAAs. I find most 3AAAs very comfortable to carry - more of a handgrip than the finger thumb grip of the single cell barrels. I don't have experience with 3AAs but there are some 3AAAs worth considering. The beam quality of the Deal Extreme/KaiDomain Blimp is as good as, if not better than, the highly regarded Streamlight ProPoly and the light is much easier to carry and pocket. There are also some interesting variants that don't seem to come in other battery configurations like all the combo showerheads. My favorite is the ebay 3-in-1 white LED, UV LED, and laser lights – not a barn burner but great for travel.

In terms of what to do with a few odd batteries, 3AAAs are the perfect answer to what to do with the rest of the pack after filling up the single AAA key chain light. :)

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like 3 x AAA lights as well. The trick is using NiMH batteries...very nice flat output curve. I think many of the short runtime/output comments come from people who use alkalines in them. My Coast Focusing Lenser lasts about an hour...and that's an hour of output that doesn't drop much at all the whole time. The Blimp mentioned here gets around 2 hours. I have numerous 2 x RCR123 lights that last 45 minutes to an hour. People have no problem with that runtime...what's the difference? I happen to like using a light for awhile and then placing it on my night stand without fears of it mysteriously blowing up 20 minutes later. I know that's very rare for lithiums, but it still weighs on my mind. I don't worry about my 3 x AAA NiMH lights doing that. As far as being direct drive, the output curve of the NiMh's nearly matches that of many "regulated" lights, without the power waste. Just my 2 cents. :grin2:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bror Jace said:
And I like the barrel size of lights that use 3AA or 3AAA cells in a triangle arrangement. I don't even mine the caddies/carriers ... except that they are often made so cheaply.

Actually a battery carrier can be a real advantage. If the light is well-made with a decent quality carrier, and if you can buy spare carriers.

Streamlight makes a couple of 3AAA headlamps with which you can order spare battery carriers for a few bucks apiece:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Septor_LED_Headlamp.php

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Battery_Cartridge_Septor_Trident.php

Preload the carriers with AAAs and take them along. Keeps your spare cells organized and makes for very quick and easy battery changes in the field.

Great design, IMHO.

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
If you think 3AAA lights are bad, I got given a Coast light that takes 3 N cells. Basically once they run dead I'm never going to use it again. Pity because its a nice light, even though it has the most braindead design ever.

Good point about the battery carrier ringzero and their capacity to keep you organized. I guess THE issues are that you can get more and that they are solid. No problem on either with Streamlight whose new Stinger LED uses the same accessories as for the longstanding stinger.

Martini

Enlightened
ringzero said:
Preload the carriers with AAAs and take them along. Keeps your spare cells organized and makes for very quick and easy battery changes in the field.
Another way to get quick and easy battery changes... use single cell lights. :devil:

Sorry, I'm just being obnoxious. Preloaded carriers are sort of like speedloaders for revolvers. Now if we only had autoloading flashlights...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martini said:
Another way to get quick and easy battery changes... use single cell lights. :devil:...Sorry, I'm just being obnoxious. Preloaded carriers are sort of like speedloaders for revolvers. Now if we only had autoloading flashlights...

Martini, a better analogy would be magazines for an autoloader, rather than speedloaders for a revolver.

Battery carriers are filled up with cells like a magazine is filled up with cartridges.

A full carrier is inserted into a light like a full magazine is inserted into a pistol.

When the cells in the carrier are depleted, that carrier is removed from the light and a full carrier is inserted. Similarly, an empty magazine is removed from a pistol and replaced with a full magazine.

Not a perfect analogy, but I think magazine works better than speedloader.

big beam

Enlightened
This might be a little off topic but one of favorite lights is a 4AA light from E-gear.It's about the size of a 1D mag has a OP reflector and a side clickie.(I like side clickies) It's a 1W @.380A.So I put a SSC in it and now I really like it.It runs 6 hrs on alkis and about 8 hrs on lithium AA's.I think it's a nuwai light because the # on the box is ALX-234AA.I can't find them any more if I could I'd buy another one or two.

DON

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back, when few folks purchased alkaline batteries, the D cell was king and Mr C was in second place. It took many years for AA cells to gain popularity due to their low capacity to price ratio - D cells were only a few cents more and had four times the capacity. AAA cells were a novelty and rarely used. The purchasing public wouldn't put up with only a few minutes of run time for a device. As capacity improved, so did the use of smaller cells. Still, the D cell is the best value but has become too large for modern, mini-sized, devices. Mr C could be a contender but the public seems to be more willing to spend more money on batteries, now, when compared to 10 - 40 years ago.

Many of today's inexpensive LED light have multiple 5mm LEDs or use Luxeons all with a fairly high drain. Many of these cheap, bright, give-away lights will run for an hour or less at reasonable brightness. So, if these lights actually get used and don't sit in a drawer, they will require frequent feedings, especially AAA cell types. I'll bet a single C cell with a boost/converter could be made for about the same price and size as 3AAA + carrier. A single C cell has a better cost/performance ratio and many less electrical connections to interfere with current flow.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
big beam said:
This might be a little off topic but one of favorite lights is a 4AA light from E-gear.It's about the size of a 1D mag has a OP reflector and a side clickie.(I like side clickies) It's a 1W @.380A.So I put a SSC in it and now I really like it.It runs 6 hrs on alkis and about 8 hrs on lithium AA's.I think it's a nuwai light because the # on the box is ALX-234AA.I can't find them any more if I could I'd buy another one or two.

big beam, glad you like your light - sounds like a great mod for more output without loss of runtime.

I unsucessfully tried to get that model from Campmor last year when they had all their E-gear lights on sale. Campmor had that model marked down to 20 bucks for a while, but when I ordered they were already out of stock.

Like you, I am a big fan of side clickies on my outdoor lights.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed the local Ace Hardware carries an Ace brand flashlight in 2xAA and 3xAA, with a little side button. Looks like a shrunken M@g C or D kind of switch.

In the usual hard plastic transparent frustrating case, of course. So I didn't find out what kind of switch it has, all I can say is I'm pretty sure it was aluminum body and head, and painted (maybe even anodized) black. Under $10.

I was a bit tempted to try it -- maybe later.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
hank said:
I just noticed the local Ace Hardware carries an Ace brand flashlight in 2xAA and 3xAA, with a little side button....Under $10.

Thanks for the heads up hank.

I'll try to remember to check for this light the next time I swing by Ace. I'm always on the lookout for smaller lights with side switches - for less than 10 bucks, it'd be worth looking at.

big beam

Enlightened
ringzero said:
big beam, glad you like your light - sounds like a great mod for more output without loss of runtime.

I unsucessfully tried to get that model from Campmor last year when they had all their E-gear lights on sale. Campmor had that model marked down to 20 bucks for a while, but when I ordered they were already out of stock.

Like you, I am a big fan of side clickies on my outdoor lights.

Thats where I got mine from.Tried to order a 2nd one buy they were out of stock(1 week later) :sigh:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't usually like 3AA LED lights for general use (like the Mini M/\G LED) but I'd be more likely to go with one for some specialized purpose like one of the newer high output LEDs coupled to an oversized optic or reflector for a tight, bright throw king. Runtime wouldn't be important for me in that example and even though I don't like the 3AA form factor -- the resulting light would still be lighter in weight than what I'm using for the stated purpose now.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of like the form factor of the 3AAA lights, and have bought several, mostly Garritys and Dorcys. Both are good quality for the price, and considering what I do to them, that is significant:

Every one has been converted to use an 18650 LI Ion. (I don't even like using AAA batteries in a remote control.)

Just wish there was a tiny bit more diamreter to them, so as to be able to use one of AW's new C LiIons.

Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened
Lite_me said:
My 7438 LED Lenser (Hocus Focus) 3AAA flashlight is one of my favorite lights. I also have 3 of the Sam's Club 3AAA Elements and I really like them too. I don't mind the carrier, and I love the size & shape.
I have many lights. These are just different. They have their purpose. I like 'em. For those who don't, that's ok. But you are limiting yourselves.

Hey Lite_me, you've got me there, as for a second I thought I have an insect running on my screen :laughing:.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
I really dislike 3 AAA and 3 AA lights as well, the odd number really becomes an inconvenience whether dealing with alkalines or nimh cells. But since I've gotten an 18650, I've modified the lights that are capable of it to use the 18650, while still technically they can use the 3AAA carrier if necessary (longer spring or spacer in tailcap). Even though I don't plan on using the 3AAA carriers much at this point, it's still good that this is feasible if I'd be stuck without a charged 18650 and absolutely needed the light. Otherwise the advantage of the 18650 is great. I just modded a 1 watt Luxeon light by using a lathe to make space in the tailcap and I got 8 hours of runtime on the 18650, a great advantage over the siimlar size of a 3AAA carrier. I do like the general dimensions that a 3AAA and 3AA light create, so if I can at least mod future lights using 3AAA/3AA for use with something like an 18650 then I don't have a problem with new lights using this combination - problem is that many 3AAA lights can't really be modded for an 18650 though.

What would really be ideal is if there would be a 3.6v Lithium that truly matched the size of a 3AAA carrier, something like a '23600' or something along those lines, it could probably have about 1A more capacity available than the 18650 and would be a straight swap with a 3AAA carrier. Same concept with a 3AA carrier-sized 3.6v Lithium. Maybe a Lithium with these dimensions already exists and just is not common for all I know. I saw that KaiDomain and DX both carry some battery pack and charger to replace a 3AAA carrier, but the approximate capacity is stated at only 1000mah so it's obviously not making full use of a battery that size.

xiorcal

Newly Enlightened
The form of the lights taking 3*AAA holders is millimetres from what could be made for C batteries. On top of which, the extra solid space the C cells take up gives about 1/3 more energy (based on Unprotected LIR AAA = .75Ah, Protected LIR C = 3.3Ah). If you replaced 3 Alkalines with 1 LIR (C now being available *biiig smile*), you would get just under the right voltage, and a closer voltage than with 3 NiMH cells.
Barbarin said:
Direct driving (or resistor limited) means more simplicity, very high efficiency, high reliability.QUOTE]
Barbarin, you do get ok results with direct drive from LIR and NiMH, however LIR would overdrive without limiting. Resistors aren't nessesarily very efficient, and many of the new current-limiting or PWM pucks are ~85-95% efficient. Who cares if something is simple when you're using it? I don't think about the electronics in a flashlight when I use it apart from what modes I am switching. A bicycle is FAR simpler than a car, but it's not nessesarily more reliable. Reliability has a lot more to do with quality than simplicity.
I'm all for the 3AAA size, but using multiple AAA cells is just silly. Use one AAA in a small light like Draco, or make lights for a bigger cell!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always considered each light on it's own merits too. There is a lot of 3AAA junk out there, badly made, low output either in runtime or power, dodgy connections and bad designs. Not all the bad ones are from no names either (Gerber Inferno anyone? - the worst torch I have ever owned!!)

But there is a lot of good stuff available all over the place, Dorcy (Super 1 Watt, metal gear and hawkeye recommended), various Petzl headlamps and of course, Led Lenser (esp. the Hocus Focus/Police ).

These lights are much more acceptable to non-flashaholics who have yet to see the light ( :naughty: ) and wouldn't dream of using CR123A or rechargeable cells in their torches at all!!

To each their own.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't keep a snowflake.

( ETC.!!!)

Be lucky...