AW 2600 18650 vs IMR battery question

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
I have on order a Nailbender SST-50 single mode regulated drop-in. I will also be getting a Linger Special soon as well. I currently own a Solarforce MC-E as well. All 3 or them are in either a bored Surefire 6P or a Solarforce L2P.

My question is should I be using the AW IMR 18650 cells with these drop-ins or is the AW 2600 cell better to use for more runtime? I remember reading somewhere that Dave said he uses the regular 2600 in his SST-50s, but I also remember reading somewhere else that the AW 2600s were ruined by using them in a Solarforce MC-E after a few uses and IMR's were suggested.

So, what would be the best choice for these drop-ins in these hosts?

Thanks.

Bob96

Enlightened
I am also using Mindbender drop ins with SST-50 & SSt-90. I have used IMR cells in 26500 & 26650 with no problems. A IMR 18650 should be fine and maybe better in high current draw modules.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I would stay with the AW2600 at up to 2.8A. It provides better run-time and doesn't stress the battery terribly since max discharge is 5.2A. The AW cells that went bad from MC-E drop-ins that had a draw of less than 3A were probably going to have a problem regardless. If not "probably" it's certainly a possibility. I've received AW cells that quickly went south even with light use and that happens to every brand from time to time.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235025

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
I found the post about the regular cells not surviving after being used with the MC-E.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232572
post#10

It seems I was wrong, they were Turstfire cells that died not the AW 2600.

So it looks like I can use either without damage to the cells, but will there be a performance difference between the two besides shorter runtime with the IMR?

Patriot

Flashaholic
So it looks like I can use either without damage to the cells, but will there be a performance difference between the two besides shorter runtime with the IMR?

I'm glad to hear that they weren't AW cells that died.

No practical different with regards to output. The 2600 cell is capable of delivering the voltage without much sag. There may be other reasons for running IMR cells, such as improved safety but nothing relevant with regards to performance. You're sort of right in the middle of the performance envelope between them, with a slight advantage to the 2600. Honestly, you can't go terribly wrong either way. :)

ekengle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help. Looks like I need to order a couple more AW 2600 cells then. Right now I only have one of the regular cells and 2 of the IMR 18650s. I guess since I don't NEED the IMRs for these lights then I should get something useful so they won't go to waste. Sounds like a good excuse to get a Lumens Factory IMR 500 lumen incan for my L2P. :thumbsup: I don't want my cells to get fat and lazy. Besides, I've been wanting a good outdoors light for the farm.

hoongern

Enlightened
Thanks for your help. Looks like I need to order a couple more AW 2600 cells then. Right now I only have one of the regular cells and 2 of the IMR 18650s. I guess since I don't NEED the IMRs for these lights then I should get something useful so they won't go to waste. Sounds like a good excuse to get a Lumens Factory IMR 500 lumen incan for my L2P. :thumbsup: I don't want my cells to get fat and lazy. Besides, I've been wanting a good outdoors light for the farm.

Nah, the LF IMR-9 (500 lumens, ~ 2.4Amps) works fine on the AW2600s... Hardly even stressing those IMRs there! To really use IMRs where the AW2600s can't go, you'll need to go up > 5Amps... Those IMR18650s can handle 16Amps!!!

Now, how about a super incan or SST90 at 10 amps?? :D Now THAT is making good use of IMRs....