AW protected 17670 in Streamlight Protac HL and Surefire P2X Fury Dual output?

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if these lights will run off of one AW protected 17670 cell rather than 2 cr123 primaries? I searched and seen running other Surefire lights running one 17670 cell but not this particular model. As far as the Streamlight, I've found pretty much nothing. I find myself never using these lights because I don't want to keep buying the cr123s. Is there any rechargeable set up that will work in these lights? Actually I also have a Polytac also that I would like to run the 17670 in if possible.

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
What RCRs are you running? K2? I seen Tenergy ones on Amazon, but they specifically say not for use in Surefire lights. Also, are Tenergy batteries any good? I've never even heard of them.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a 16650 cell that has a little more mAh in it than the 17670. Just mentioning it. Longer run times.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Streamlight Protac HL coming and have some AW 17670 cells I want to try in it,

I too can't find much info on the LED in the Protac HL, Google here I come,

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
Please let me know how this goes. I have a protac, but no 17670 cells. I googled it and can't find much at all on it.

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Robert. Looks like the 17670 is the way to go. How are those Tenergy cells in the last graph? They specifically say not to use in Surefire lights. They can be had pretty cheap on Amazon so I'm thinking about just ordering them. They're 3 volts, so why wouldn't they work in place of any CR123?

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Robert. Looks like the 17670 is the way to go. How are those Tenergy cells in the last graph? They specifically say not to use in Surefire lights. They can be had pretty cheap on Amazon so I'm thinking about just ordering them. They're 3 volts, so why wouldn't they work in place of any CR123?

I haven't had any problems with Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123 cells ... I use them in my Fury these days as well. If K2 LiFePO4 cells are safe in a SureFire then I don't see why Tenergy would be bad ... they're the same chemistry.

Here's another thread that may be of interest. It shows several run time graphs of some of my flashlights using Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123 cells.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Protected 16650 cells in Surefire P2X Fury Dual output?

I take it from the lack of responses that no one has tried the 16650 cell? Supposedly newer technology cell chemistry and more power than the 17670 cell with more mAh's. I think it is a Sanyo cell. Fits nicely in stock Surefire hosts and any host that normally uses 2 x CR123A cells.

Last edited:

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
I was just reading that they are actually 3.7 volts when fully charged, is this true? Also, do you think they'll work in the Streamlight protac HL as well?

bald1

Enlightened

I'm using AW 17670 cells in a number of my torches without issues. Bought them when my old Pila 168s batteries wore out. Included are a number of E-series Surefire based lights as well as a Longbow Mini with McLux pill.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the link. I have some AW protected 17670s coming to me, will it hurt anything to try on in the protac? If not do you think the tenergy LiFePO4 rcr123 will work?
[h=1][/h]

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the link. I have some AW protected 17670s coming to me, will it hurt anything to try on in the protac? If not do you think the tenergy LiFePO4 rcr123 will work?

Robin24k did a review on the ProTac HL here. It worked just fine with LiFePO4 cells. I don't think 17670 cells will hurt anything ... the voltage will be low, so you just need to make sure it runs on 4.2V max vs. 6.6V (2x3.3) max ok.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my Protac HL and removed the CR123 batteries and installed one AW 17670, NO DICE, LED just flashed when I try and turn it on,

I have also changed the TenTap to low mode then hi,

I honestly really love this interface,

Last edited:

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened

Bummer ... so the voltage is too low ... looks like you'll have to use LiFePO4 batteries instead. Since they're about 3.6V off the charger let them set for an hour or so until the voltage drops to about 3.4V which is really close to CR123A cells which have a maximum voltage of 3.3V. Also, keep in mind the LiFePO4 cells use a different charger than LiCoO2 cells since their termination voltage is different (3.6V vs. 4.2V).

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, you need a special charger for the LiFePO4 cells. My Ultrafire charger has a switch - 3.0 or 3.7V cells. Use the 3.0 setting and they come off the charger around 3.3. I haven't had a problem.

I have my TenTap set to Low then High, too. I'm glad I like it this way because I'm not sure if I remember the 10 tap dance.