AW RCR123 ("ICR123") with bubbled label - something of concern?

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened
During my recent scheduled recharging session, I noticed that one of my AW RCR123s has "anomalies" under the label. They feel to be "solid," and don't compress down under a fingernail. I do not recall these being there before. I decommissioned this from use (and didn't recharge it) pending evaluation.

Something of concern? A bad cell generating gas and/or corrosion on the surface of the cell?

Opinions are most appreciated!

PnNjL8A.jpg

eQxcT66.jpg

mPSkJYU.jpg

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened
Are you in a humid / marine / corrosive environment ?

California Coast Range, about 25 miles from the coast, but with mountains between the ocean and us. None of my other Li-Ions have similar phenomena, though.

This cell was the primary fuel source for a Fenix PD22UE, until now.

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened
And rust it is...

oCNTETr.jpg

Which is mysterious to me since I never handle batteries wet, nor are any of my other batteries showing any similar phenomena, and, the PD22UE it was inside of has no signs of corrosion. Oh, well, off it goes to the great beyond. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: AW RCR123 ("ICR123") with bubbled label - something of concern?

Lots of possibilities along the supply chain .... Did you buy new directly from an authorized supplier ?

And, out of curiosity, about how old is that cell ?

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened
Re: AW RCR123 ("ICR123") with bubbled label - something of concern?

Lots of possibilities along the supply chain .... Did you buy new directly from an authorized supplier ?

And, out of curiosity, about how old is that cell ?

I believe it's about two years old. That's about when I bought the PD22UE, and IIRC I got it immediately afterwards.

Due to the counterfeiting, I used AW's list of authorized dealers, and bought (buy) my AWs only from FourSevens or RTD Vapor.