Battery "cleaning"??!!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never used Deoxit, but always clean the terminals on batteries with emery board and isopropyl alcohol. Just about every battery has a thin layer of oxidation on the terminals, some may have picked up a minute film of oil from the manufacturing machinery. Doesn't make any noticeable difference at low current, but makes a huge difference at high current, helping reduce resistsnce at the point of contact.
Thank you for that information, I had no idea. I'll keep that in mind. My 4D ML300L might benefit when I run it on high (1002 Lumens). I imagine it sags pretty quick at that setting.

texas cop

Enlightened
For cleaning contacts both on batteries, contacts, and the shinny conductive parts of body tubes. I use a clean, new red shop rag. It's chemical free and just abrasive enough to clean off most oxides. Their also good for guns and tools. Damn cheap too, I can wash them or toss them.

P.S. all of us here are on the OCD spectrum.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
For cleaning contacts both on batteries, contacts, and the shinny conductive parts of body tubes. I use a clean, new red shop rag. It's chemical free and just abrasive enough to clean off most oxides. Their also good for guns and tools. Damn cheap too, I can wash them or toss them.

P.S. all of us here are on the OCD spectrum.
Ummm, hmmm. Now that is something to think about. I've noticed that many are concerned with preparedness, so you might have something there. I think perhaps you may be right, just different areas of interest.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've never cleaned regular batteries and never really noticed a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky. I've only used products like No-Ox on larger vehicle-type batteries to prevent oxidation. No-Ox isn't for cleaning though, just prevention.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the day, in a pinch, matchbook covers to clean motor distributor/magneto points, works wonders..

Brain storm!! saturated matchbook with Deoxit🤯
@knucklegary Somewhere in my kit, I have a diamond coated contact file/cleaner. I probably bought it at Radio Shack back about 1981, I think. I can't remember what I used it on, I don't think it was ignition points, but maybe. More likely radio/TV type work. I was heavy into CB radio at the time, trying to get into ham radio. I also picked up an aerosol can of tuner cleaner back then...suppose that is still around here...somewhere...I've lost track of stuff since my last move, and still have lots of stuff in sealed boxes in storage I haven't gone through yet. I don't recall ever having to use the matchbook hack, but that is good to remember in a pinch.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I had a 6 cell boom box that I kept plugged in, out in my garage. I figured it would be good during a power outage, so I kept batteries in it. Once when I tried to use it powered with battery power, I discovered that the batteries were dead.

KIDS!!!

I decided to put a small thin piece of plastic between the battery contact and the radio contact to break the connection. This way I could store fresh batteries in the unit, and the kids will think that they are dead, and will take the effort to plug the radio in.

Years later... those batteries were still fresh.

I don't have any deoixIT but I do have a bottle of CRC contact cleaner.

I don't recall ever using it on batteries, I suppose if I suspected oxidation, I've rubbed them on my jeans.

Regarding OCD, I suspect that I have a touch of it. I purposefully decided NOT to play golf, because it appears to be an addictive sport. Thankfully, for me, it is very mild, if at all.

There was a fine gent who often parked his car in front of my office. He would get out of his car and check that the door was locked, he'd then walk around the car and check each door, and the trunk, he'd circle the car twice.

My wife, as a child, had a negative experience with fire, and would never leave the house without first checking the knobs on the gas kitchen stove, to make sure that it was off. I guess childhood experiences can be the basis for mild OCD, without being classified.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

hehe, always an option,
just don't pee on your batteries, conductivity😶‍🌫️
Somewhere in the back of my brain, where the cobwebs are in the corner and the lone mouse lives, is a story about some guy taking a leak on an electric fence wire...can't remember the details, or if it actually happened, and the result, or if it is just a modern myth. Anyone?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
@knucklegary Somewhere in my kit, I have a diamond coated contact file/cleaner. I probably bought it at Radio Shack back about 1981, I think. I can't remember what I used it on, I don't think it was ignition points, but maybe. More likely radio/TV type work. I was heavy into CB radio at the time, trying to get into ham radio. I also picked up an aerosol can of tuner cleaner back then...suppose that is still around here...somewhere...I've lost track of stuff since my last move, and still have lots of stuff in sealed boxes in storage I haven't gone through yet. I don't recall ever having to use the matchbook hack, but that is good to remember in a pinch.
When I say 'in a pinch' meaning a situation when away from your shop/garage tools. Trying to start a old car or motorcycle that you stumbled upon in an old barn. (Kansas use to be full of them) and you don't have tool box at hand.
Match book cardboard cover can also be used to gap the points after getting them cleaned enough to spark. Of course, battery or magneto needs to supply juice.

CRC contact cleaner is good stuff.. much better than pee (-:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Reminds me of that old Ren & Stimpy cartoon. That one episode where there was a Board game called, "Don't wiz on the electric fence."

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

My grandfather had a horse ranch not far from here. He had an electric fence.
One day as a young kid playing around, I must have brushed up against it and it threw me good.
Thought my brother crashed into me with the 3-wheeler.

..never been the same :grin2:

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work one day while standing in puddles from a leaking roof, I grabbed an electric hoist controls that hangs off a boom on large cable 220v. That was last thing I remembered. Woke up on a stretcher with my shirt and boots off and a cute EMT gal counting my toes, looking for exit wounds

Monocrom

Flashaholic
At work one day while standing in puddles from a leaking roof, I grabbed an electric hoist controls that hangs off a boom on large cable 220v. That was last thing I remembered. Woke up on a stretcher with my shirt and boots off and a cute EMT gal counting my toes, looking for exit wounds
Glad you survived.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a heck of a way to meet cute gals. I hope you found a less "shocking" method.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Explains a lot. :poke: :aaa:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Somewhere in the back of my brain, where the cobwebs are in the corner and the lone mouse lives, is a story about some guy taking a leak on an electric fence wire...can't remember the details, or if it actually happened, and the result, or if it is just a modern myth. Anyone?
Yup. Not a myth. Never been foolish enough to do it myself, but I once watched a friend of a friend take a dare to do it - it was only 5 bucks or something, but he did. And boy, did he howl and hop. It was only a "town" fence, but I did feel a little sorry for him. The noise didn't stop for half an hour, I'm sure.
Since then I have heard many little boys wondering aloud and daring each other - I now always break in and say "bad idea sunshine"… :crazy:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Had to edit this post out, don't want to send wrong signals
Hope people understand that.

Last edited: