Bay Area CPF BBQ and Flashapalooza - June 17th

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
Well, photobucket was being a pain, so I used facebook:

http://ucdavis.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045071&l=74852&id=3221697

I hope you don't mind, croMAGnet, that I swiped a few of your pictures that had me in them.

I've just ordered my very own Harbor Freight HID. :candle:

Edit:

Speaking of that, does anyone (croMAGnet?) have any higher resolution pictures of the people (specifically, me) standing in the field?

Could you email me some please? Thanks.

Last edited:

unnerv

Enlightened
Looks like you guys had a great time as usual. I just couldn't make it after flying in. I was too beat to do anything but eat dinner and crash hard. Looking forward to the next one tho.

s002cjs

Newly Enlightened
Fun time last night! Thanks Lowbat for all the organization, and everyone else for sharing! You're all a bad influence when it comes to getting new ideas of how to spend money!

Useful tip for those in the future: Bring your sunglasses! They make a huge difference when standing in front of an HiD Showdown!

CLHC

Flashaholic
modamag said:
CHC: That light you saw was our 20000+ lumen aircraft landing light.

:huh: "20000+ Lumen Aircraft Landing Light!" So THAT's what it was I saw then from 680. :grin2:

modamag said:
Note to all those who took the picture, just hold out for another 12 hours to make CHC and knifebright sweat :nana:
:lolsign:

Some really nice pics here CroMAGnet. Looks like everyone had a great time. Too bad I couldn't be there, but I'll be looking forward to the next one. Maybe somebody can get the AVN type Spotlight eh? I take it no one saw the supposed "apparition" at the ranch?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from spending the night at the park. Awesome turnout. Too bad business and the TSA kept a few folks from making the party.

I will have to say I think the bugs rulled. With all that light it seemed like we attracting them from miles away. I didn't notice many mosquitos - just these small little bugs filling the air. It was hard to take a deep breath without collecting a few in your nose and mouth. The only real problem they caused was visability and ingesting them.

Despite the bugs, I had a fantastic time. It was great to meet so many new faces and to get reaquainted with some familiar ones.

My new picnic lights worked out pretty well for lighting up the area, but I think I'm going to try to find some yellow bulbs for next time.

Major cudos and thank you to Larrry for organizing such a fantasticly fun and successful event, and for his contributions of steaks and camping fees.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that went well! I was worried up until the event as using a park after hours isn't something easy to negotiate. Thankfully the on-duty park rangers allowed us to stay in the picnic area well past the normal closing time. They even left the main gate open for late arrivals until at least 9:30pm. :) The other option of using nearby Halley Hill was not available as there were unscheduled astronomers using it. I sincerely hope our HID showdown didn't cause any phantom comet sightings. :D Sorry we had to wrap up so quickly as we went beyond our allotted time of 10pm as the ranger reminded me.

My thanks to weedle256 and SheDevil for their help and culinary skills. I couldn't have pulled this off without them!

Here are a few pics I took of our group with my cell phone:

06-17-06_2049.jpg

06-17-06_2213b.jpg

06-17-06_2219.jpg

... and a few videos too.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v249/LowBat/?action=view&current=06-17-06_20483gp.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v249/LowBat/?action=view&current=06-17-06_22193gp.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v249/LowBat/?action=view&current=06-17-06_22083gp.flv

Jim's picnic lights were a real hit with every flying insect for half a mile.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v249/LowBat/?action=view&current=06-17-06_21033gp.flv

Hey, I just noticed this is my one thousandth post. :party:

Last edited:

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
This was my first time at a flashlight get together and probably won't be my last. Thanks lowbat for getting all us together and others who helped, brought some tasty food and very interesting lights including a number of prototypes we may be able to buy in the future. Where else would you see a demonstration of a Maglight (obviously not stock) lighting a piece of newspaper on fire in about 20 seconds just from the heat of the beam. Man, that sucker was bright (and hot!). A great bunch of guys and some gals, too. A pretty park setting with nobody but our group around. I learned a lot of what others are doing to flashlights; you owe yourself to come enjoy one of these gatherings and sample some of Jim's fabulous chili.

Steve

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a great time. Thanks for setting this up.

It is funny how during the meet, anything less than 500 Lumens quickly becomes "toys", but once we got to camp, I could see just fine with 20ma through a Lux V. :laughing:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN said:
It is funny how during the meet, anything less than 500 Lumens quickly becomes "toys", but once we got to camp, I could see just fine with 20ma through a Lux V. :laughing:

My Luxeon Mag mods seemed pretty impressive at first, but I was quickly overwhelmed by a feeling of "I give up" once the HIDs came out. :p

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gold! What brings you down this way next winter?

SheDevil Those are some really nice pics! Nice color and exposure settings. What camera is that? Did you doctor them?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
SteveStephens said:
you owe yourself to come enjoy one of these gatherings and sample some of Jim's fabulous chili.
Sorry Steve, that's Jim"s famous beans. You haven't sampled my award winning chili yet.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony, what's the strange ribbon in this picture? I've seem some weird optical effects, but this one really takes the "bacon".

P1040231.jpg

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
JimH said:
Sorry Steve, that's Jim"s famous beans. You haven't sampled my award winning chili yet.
Jim, sorry about that but I was so overwhelmed by the great taste that I didn't pay much attention to the name. Beans or chili, I'll be back for more.

Steve

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
SteveStephens said:
Jim, sorry about that but I was so overwhelmed by the great taste that I didn't pay much attention to the name. Beans or chili, I'll be back for more.

Steve
I was barely able to scrape a tablespoon of Jim's beans from the crock pot to package on a plate for someone who couldn't make it. Those beans were definitely blue ribbon material. Everybody who contributed to the potluck brought some really tasty dishes!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
Tony, what's the strange ribbon in this picture? I've seem some weird optical effects, but this one really takes the "bacon".

P1040231.jpg

I thought you said the place was haunted? ;)