B@rt

Flashaholic
Here you go...
fd038ac2.jpg

fd038ac5.jpg

winkie.GIF

Saaby

Flashaholic
Judging on the forum it's posted in, HID, I'd have to guess a rechargable, handheld HID flashlight. Probably will only retail for $850 or something close to that.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's changed since that photo.
What it looks like now you will have to guess, I suppose...

No point worrying about price for a proto-type with no production plan.

Al

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Size15s:

No point worrying about price for a proto-type with no production plan.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wasn't this light featured in the Surefire 2002 Catalog? Why would they inclide a prototype with no production plans in their catalog?

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
I've been hearing alot about SureFire's new prototype, "The Beast," and I was wondering if anyone happened to have any pictures of the light itself. I know that PK's site used to have them but since it has been shut down, I was wondering if someone might have one saved away somewhere.

Thanks,
Frank

NightShift

Enlightened
Huh, interesting, i'm still waiting for my catalog. Looks like a "HID-coated" H1 in there, unless i'm not seeing the length of the HID lamp.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"Wasn't this light featured in the Surefire 2002 Catalog?"
If I recall correctly, (I didn't spend too much time in the flashlight sections of the 2 hours I spent there) a variant of it was also at the SHOT Show 2002. Later it was discussed as the first crew served Surefire product on this BB and the now-defunct Surefire Discussion Board.

There is apparently no demand to justify mass producing this product. This, to me, is the antithesis of Surefire products. Surefire made a name for itself in the late 80s by producing and marketing physically dimunitive flashlight products that provide outputs equal to AND exceeding those of physically larger ones offered by icons of the flashlight industry.

Surefires most significant marketing campaign was providing a visual demonstration of the clean beam of a Model 6P vice that of the "ringy" output of a 5-D cell Maglite as both outputs where 'shined' on a smooth, sanitary neutral colored surface about 2 feet from the bezel of each of those products.

That photograph probably sold more Surefire products than any other marketing strategy. In the last 2-3 years, I've witnessed Surefire products grow in physical size to the the bloated examples such as those in the Millenium line; specimens that seem to have evolved into unusual shapes with angles that seem to speak "...hey, we've evolved because, well, we can and we did."

Form seemed to have upstaged function in several designs. In particular is the hex bezel. For something that will be mostly carried on a belt pouch, in a left hand, or attached to a shoulder weapon, what use are angular protrusions meant to keep that product from rolling off a table top.

Another design peculiarity, while interesting no less, is the form of the 10X Dominator. It is a rechargeable flashlight that has constant use application characteristics in its power supply but it is marketed as a tactical flashlight. Realistically, how many 'special teams' have this product mounted on their Colt M4s or H & K MP5s? What holster is currently available for the street LEO to carry it on the Sam Browne? What about the bulbous, dual stage lamp assembly housing and the wispy lanyard attachment loop that spells Delicate, Use Carefully. Both of these features are contradictory to the market at which this market was aimed; one that is not known for its gentle, sensitive usage.

Then there is the Beast. A product designed for handheld usage. It is HUGE; a design trait that Surefire is not known for. It appears to be an engineering exercise because it has VERY LIMITED real world application. Judging by the introductory price of Surefire's latest offering (the A2), the Beast WILL HAVE a beastly price tag as well to recoup R & D costs. It wil also have to compete with one industry icon in this light product category - the Maxabeam. Unlike the Surefire Beast, that one does exist, is available for purchase, is quite capable, has a history of successful usage, and is quite often a serious contender despite the 'artifacts' in its 'beam' (the projected spot).

It will surprise me to see Surefire make and offer this to those of special need; even more so to see it offered to the commercial market.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
alas the infamous pic, no comment but oldtimers here remember who did what and who was upset.

Realistically it would be too big for any tactical purpose, maybe technology will decrease the size down to say a 4D maglite.

BATTERY, always is the problem.......

K-T

*Moderator*
Originally posted by geepondy:
Wasn't this light featured in the Surefire 2002 Catalog? Why would they inclide a prototype with no production plans in their catalog?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The M2D, M3DT and similar were also shown in the 2002 catalogue but never left the prototype stage.
wink.gif
I would have loved to see a M3DT
frown.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to chime in here about the BEAST. The BEAST has undergone some significant changes since Shot 2002, and we probably will have to wait till mid-2003 for the finished product.

They were ready a few months ago, but "newer technology" allowed SF to made some desired changes. Even more recently, even "newer newer technology" is allowing even more changes and improvements.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
i got this from the infamous 2002 catalogue:

2,000 Lumens
80 minutes runtime
Twenty batteries
HID01 bulb
13.8" length
3.5 lb. weight
4.03" bezel diameter

Geoff