Beginner's Guide to explain simple LED flashlight.

CHENONN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for your instruction.I will try to make it by myself.

vqF2i6rNci

Newly Enlightened
I agree, thank you for the easy explanation of directional clicking on the tailcap. I was quite confused even after reading and trying several lights, as some nuance is different. This explained it perfectly!:thumbsup:

O

burkevalocks

Newly Enlightened
Well this diagram will definitely help a newbie understand a led flashlight great work. :thumbsup:

PittsburghAndy

Newly Enlightened
Posting here as a brand new member, glad to have found this forum!

Great as this thread is, it's kind of overwhelming since it's 3 pages long. I found myself thinking I had to read all 3 pages to benefit from this FAQ type of thread. Sure would be nice if it was just one post that was updated, kind of like a wiki. Believe me, I'm not overlooking the irony of my posting here and saying what I said. :)

Or maybe there is such a page/wiki here that I haven't found yet (if someone could point me there?).

Just a thought. Thanks!

Spaceship

Newly Enlightened
What a good thread!
i like your diagram so much. When i was first to touch flashlight i really want to find some diagram which is posted just as you did. It helps a lots for the beginners like me.Thanks.

Mill321

Newly Enlightened
Terrific explanation. I have come across a few other explanations that have gone over my head, but I think this struck the perfect balance of keeping it informative, but simple enough for newbies such as myself to understand. Thanks!

larstetens

Newly Enlightened
Excellent explanation-THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to put this together mate. :twothumbs

1tac

Newly Enlightened
Re: Beginner's Guide to explain simple LED flashlight

What is the best way to tell what the quality is when it comes to the Lumins/ lens and inside components?

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good questions, 1tac

The best way maybe test it by your hand, like
1. run it at open field at night, you would see the actual output beam pattern,
2. check the tail cap current of battery, you will know how much it draw from battery
3. check the led current, to know exactly led current, so you can calculate the efficiency of the circuit.
4. check the temperature around led and the flashlight body, is it good for heat management.

Or read other member posts about the reviews.

:santa:

cjs072

Newly Enlightened
which type of material should be use in heat sink ?
you have mention the material but not mention the grade of the material . like aluminium , extruded or die casting , material composition , some material has high heat tolerance power , some has less , so which grade would be better ?

please suggest .

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
cjs072, We will love to see if you could share you expertise here. After all this post is for general concept only.
If you search inside cpf, you would find a lot of good post talking about it. :)

:welcome:

Last edited:

scw2

Newly Enlightened
Wanted to thank you for putting this together, lots of great info. :grin2:

GusManB

Enlightened
Hi I am New and Have a Question about LEDs.
I am sorry if this may have been answered before.

I see a number of lights on the Market that are Tri LED or more. I know that in some applications such as needing Color Mixing this is a cool idea, much like The LEDS used in Custom Star Wars Sabers. How is it applied here and is it just preference?

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess we just want to push it to the limit, try to make it as bright as possible in hand. :laughing:
Before, high power/low voltage small die led is not available yet, put a few more together is a alternative solution.
:)

nicky_is12

Newly Enlightened
Thanks OP. This thread has helped me understand the basics. I thought I had a general idea prior to reading this, and boy was I wrong.