Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

Hogo, have you given any thought to a run of stainless steel lights, either as anniversary lights or just as another special run?

In fact, I have. I'm tired of rifle bullets penetrating the battery tube of my HDS lights. I'm thinking AR500 steel.

All kidding aside, I have been giving stainless some thought, but it will probably be awhile before I can make that happen. A Henry "two weeks" or more.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stainless would actually be within reach for several of us... not sure if I could even swing stainless or better yet blackened stainless but I d certainly have a whack at it. Copper as much as it sounds great just isn't possible for this critter.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

BeCu C173 in a hardened state.
Just got off the phone with the machinist again.

copper-nickel-round-bar.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic

What about using the natural ha for the anniversary light? Otherwise I'm fine with standard copper. I don't think I'm interested in spending more than i paid for the titanium; that one was hard to swallow as it was.

I think an anniversary light should be made more affordable so that all hds fans have a good chance to get one.

Truer words have never been spoken😁

scout24

Flashaholic

Everyone here can say whatever they want as long as they do not say anything bad or violate the rules!!

Don't follow me just because you don't like me!! And monitoring every comment I post!!

Am not breaking any the rules here. Am saying what in my mind and probably what's in most people mind who's interested in this light!

I like HDS and I want to buy more of these lights.

SO YES AM DEFINITELY INTERESTED.

It's
FREE WORLD AND WE SAY ANYTHING WE WANT HERE AS LONG AS ITS NOT AGAINST THE RULES.

I LIKE HDS!

There's a big difference between breaking the rules and what's known as "reading the room". Let me tell you how well typing in caps lock goes. Please take a deep breath. Here in HDS and elsewhere. Please remember staff is here to keep some sembelance of order.

PS- Did you see the pic where the metal is already cut? Guess what? I, and I'm sure many others, would have loved a Ti, brass, etc from the special runs that already occured. Me? Couldn't swing it right now. They were expensive. And there were few made. Most here were happy for those who scored, everyone had a polite opinion as to materials, costs, etc. At the end of the day it's Henry and Hogo's decision. I challenge you to name another brand with as much interaction here and listening to customer's imput. Let's work to try to keep it that way.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

OH WAIT!!!

That was a stock photo of BeCu C173. Just so folks could get an idea of the color... and use their imaginations.

Currently, the cost would be a base of $1050 in a presale. I'm still not happy with that, so I was on the phone again today with the machinist. He will be revising his quote down and hopefully I will have it Monday. I really didn't want them more than the titanium, so I am trying to use my best negotiating skills (in the past it was simply "do what I say or go to jail"... so this is new for me). It's a little game between the machinist and myself...

We shall see.

There does appear to be enough interest here and elsewhere, so it looks like it should eventually go through.

Most likely will go like the other special material runs did with a presale then the remainder going live.

We still get at least one email a week from someone wanting to buy a titanium, bronze, or brass light.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you saying there might be some extra of these...?...2 weeks later...?

Nope. Just that people still want them. We don't have any extra... and Henry and I haven't even made ours yet!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

It may be me but i think he was talking about the beryllium copper.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Basically like we did with the other runs. There is the presale that is open for a specified time, then when that closes, depending on demand, we may have extra that will then go on sale after the presale lights have shipped. The presale has the discounted price, so missing that presale window gets more expensive.
Unfortunately, this is the only way I can convince Henry to do runs like these because of the substantial outlay of funds and being somewhat uncertain of demand. So far, demand on the special metal runs exceeded Henry's expectations.

The real proof of demand, of course, is how many sell in the presale. It also lets us plan better.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

As many know, I have been attempting to negotiate a lower price on an anniversary beryllium copper run, but have been unsuccessful in doing so. I spoke to the machinist again today and he did crunch his numbers again for me, but there was no significant change in the outcome.

So, the base price on the pre-sale of the anniversary BeCu HDS light will be $1050. Post pre-sale will be $1,250. Again, like the titanium, there is a minimum number we will have to reach on the pre-sale in order to make the run happen. Considering the limited amount of emitters we have in the different flavors of Nichia 35b, 40b, 45b, and 57c (High Noon), it would behoove one to be quick when the BeCu pre-sale hits the web sight (yet to be announced but most likely not for at least 1-2 months from now).

I've received nearly no love for the Executive model in BeCu, so we made the executive decision that the run will only include Rotary models.

So, this is where we are at right now. My next step is to get a "realistic" time frame from the machinist, who is still working on other parts we need to keep lights going out the door without delay, and thus keep the lights on here at HDS. Yep. Still waiting on the 18650 Rotary tubes and not at all happy about that. They will have to be delivered before the BeCu run happens. As most of you know, I have the patience of a gnat.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shocking that there wasn't love for the executive.

I don't recall, are you going to stick with the traditional knurling or going a different route?

So these will be priced the same as the titanium(roughly, can't recall what we paid)

Can you tell us how many of each emitter there will be for this run? And what are the plans when these emitters are gone...i imagine you kind of have a plan for future runs
I know what i would choose for this run.

Guess I better start saving and possibly let some other lights go.

Thanks for the update

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shocking that there wasn't love for the executive.

I don't recall, are you going to stick with the traditional knurling or going a different route?

So these will be priced the same as the titanium(roughly, can't recall what we paid)

If I recall it was $1k for pre and $1200 for post

Likely to be the same as the other special metal runs... I d hoped for the knurling of the RA Titanium Clicky

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Knurling is going to be standard HDS knurling as was on the last titanium run. That is the feedback I received from most folks and altering it would increase costs.

No emitters are being saved for future runs past this one. This is it. If we run out of one particular emitter, we will contact that person and they will have the option to change to a different one we still have or get a refund. Will be watching this closely the day of the presale to avoid this happening.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. Hopefully there will be enough emitters of my preferred choice

@ diver, i think you're right, I'd have to look at my paypal...same ballpark though.

I really shouldn't even be thinking about this light, but I don't think i can pass on an anniversary run (even though the special runs are just as rare/important)

EDIT: My titaniums were $1068 w/o shipping. Probably because i chose sapphire glass, which would mean the price should have been $1030 for a base light

Last edited: