BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark_za

Enlightened
Dont you just love it when the DX lotto works in your favour?

I wanted a stainless 1AA to sit next to my L2m special edition and ordered a single mode Ultrafire C3.

Having read a few threads about it I was surprised to see Q5 etched on the side. I have no reason to doubt its not a Q5 as its easily as bright as my LD10 on high.
Fit is also good, no gaps, and there seems to be a flatter button on the back allowing tailstanding.

Really impressed with this torch.

mfm

Enlightened
Dont you just love it when the DX lotto works in your favour?

I wanted a stainless 1AA to sit next to my L2m special edition and ordered a single mode Ultrafire C3.

Having read a few threads about it I was surprised to see Q5 etched on the side. I have no reason to doubt its not a Q5 as its easily as bright as my LD10 on high.
Fit is also good, no gaps, and there seems to be a flatter button on the back allowing tailstanding.

Really impressed with this torch.

You ordered the P4 SS C3 or what do you mean?

I think the normal C3 is Q2 now, mine was shipped over three weeks ago and I still didn't get it (and probably never will), so not that lucky in the DX lottery.

shark_za

Enlightened
I ordered straight from the website expecting a C3 SS P4.

Does anyone else have Q5 etched on the side, I also expected a gap between the head and body as most reported.

What I got was a bright well made bright torch.
My wife just stole it for her handbag.

CampingLED

Enlightened
Which SSC-P7 or other light?

Want to buy a SSC-P7 / MCE / SST-50 light for my son. $40 price range, which most likely eliminates the SST-50. Was biased towards the RQ P7 light @ Kaidomain, but after they increased the price on the SST-50 P60 drop-in module, I do not feel like supporting them anymore. Still looks like a good light though.

What would you recommend in that price range? We have a few throwers @ home and he would like to have "a wall of light" light.

sandos

Newly Enlightened
I ordered straight from the website expecting a C3 SS P4.

Does anyone else have Q5 etched on the side, I also expected a gap between the head and body as most reported.

What I got was a bright well made bright torch.
My wife just stole it for her handbag.

Was it the sku.18305 and single-mode you ordered?

I have the 5-mode which is supposed to be q5, just wondering if they sent you one of those instead.

Btw, my SS has a problem seemingly from pressure on the star, it starts flickering randomly. I can reproduce it by removing the tail-cap clickie, and connecting my amp-meter and just pressing really heard. If I unscrew the end-cap slightly while in normal operating mode, I can help the flickering from happening for a while, but not completely.

Edit: I guess its pretty easy to guess, but the gaps (that are not existant on my C3 SS) means that the middle tube has better contact to the solder blobs on the module, whereas if I screen the module in too far (so that the gap vanishes) it will flicker eventually. I came to this conclusion after removing the middle tube and testing with the ameter, and applying pressure. This gave no flicker. Also trying to apply pressure on the battery with the middle tube and a gap, led pillar sligthly unscrewed I was unable to get it to flicker.

Last edited:

txg

Newly Enlightened
i just received 2 lights from dx and i want to share my opinion on them:

trustfire xp-ef23 (sku.24291)
this is one hell of a light, it is as bright as my k-106 (both running on li-ions, [email protected], [email protected]). VERY solid finish, looks and feels like a very expensive light. user interface is great, because opposite to the akoray, switching the modes goes VERY fast, so the useless strobe is no con for me.

but: the light is very heavy, it weighs nearly the same as the akoray, 61g vs. 62g. this would be my preferred light of all time if it would be lighter (would love an aluminium version).

did someone try to mod it with an xp-g r5? this would make the output even better.

tank007 e07:

this light is impressively small, but that's all positive i have to say about it. it feels cheap, it isn't very bright, the tint is :sick2: and the beam is rather odd. perhaps i've had bad luck with this one as bessiebenny and others do like it.
mine did come with a strap, but without a key-ring, so i can't attach it to my keys, which has been my plan.

because of the ultrafire, i'm now thinking of getting another small aaa light in aluminium, but i didn't find a decent one. the new 4sevens preon looks nice but it can't use li-ions, which is a no-go for me.

shark_za

Enlightened
Was it the sku.18305 and single-mode you ordered?

I have the 5-mode which is supposed to be q5, just wondering if they sent you one of those instead.

The one I ordered was sku.11133 , the stainless steel version.
On the one side is has Ultrafire C3 and the other is etched CREE Q5.

Comparing to a LD10 on Hi it is brighter overall with more throw but a bit ringey. It has a smooth reflector so I guess this is normal.
With the LD10 on turbo its very hard to tell, the hot spot on the C3 is still brighter but overall it might be more output on the LD10.

Did that testing with a GP recyko in the LD10 and e2 Lithium in the C3.
Not fair, but with both having Lithiums the Turbo is much brighter and the hi still pretty much the same.

I had some flickering till I screwed the pill in properly.

CampingLED

Enlightened
The one I ordered was sku.11133 , the stainless steel version.
On the one side is has Ultrafire C3 and the other is etched CREE Q5.

Comparing to a LD10 on Hi it is brighter overall with more throw but a bit ringey. It has a smooth reflector so I guess this is normal.
With the LD10 on turbo its very hard to tell, the hot spot on the C3 is still brighter but overall it might be more output on the LD10.

Did that testing with a GP recyko in the LD10 and e2 Lithium in the C3.
Not fair, but with both having Lithiums the Turbo is much brighter and the hi still pretty much the same.

I had some flickering till I screwed the pill in properly.

Should change your name to Lion_za. I have both the original C3 SS (modded with R2 though) and the new 5-mode. There are some differences, both external and internal. You should come and visit me sometime and we can compare. My feeling is that they changed the switch, the LED to higher bin, maybe the driver and the external template.

XRAYBoY

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone.
I just wanted to communicate the existence of another forum in spanish, with many flashlights models mainly bought at KD, DX ,etc.
I think it can be useful for you if you are looking for internal pictures, data or measurements.
(Nothing compared to :bow:CPF,of course,but we tried...)

Here translated into English or Spanish original in my signature.I hope it might can be useful for this thread as this thread is for us.;)

mfm

Enlightened
it feels cheap, it isn't very bright, the tint is :sick2: and the beam is rather odd. perhaps i've had bad luck with this one as bessiebenny and others do like it.

His E07 wasn't very bright either if you look at his pictures. It seems to a big tint lottery when you get an OSRAM emitter in these tank007 lights.

Got another Ultrafire A10 yesterday, so my DX christmas present failure rate is down from 100% to 67%. The new A10 had slightly better anodized body and print and was a little brighter (but also cooler white, so probably keeping the old one for myself anyway).

J_C

Enlightened
E07 is rated for lower drive current, wouldn't be expected to be as bright but with the benefit of longer runtime. While many want or need most light possible in a given form factor, I'm glad to see such small lights that can run reasonably regulated for 1.5 hours. Not that the goal is longest runtime possible, but at fair output for low price.

phlowcus

Newly Enlightened
The TANK007 TK-703 [...] But it's RED!
Not if you order the black version. :p

EDIT: Speaking of the 703. Yesterday I had a look at the driver pill and I encountered the most horrible smell I've ever noticed in a flashlight. Didn't seem non-toxic :/. Nothing I'd give into the hands of a child for sure.

Last edited:

nullstring

Newly Enlightened
thinking about Romisen RC-F4..

As you can tell from my post count, I'm a bit of a noob.

I've done a bit of research, and I've come to the conclusion that the RC-F4 is a nice flashlight for the price.

My criteria for a flashlight:

• 2xCR123A
  • Forward Clicky
  • At least 3-mode. Preferably 4 or 5.
  • Q5

ShiningBeam offers a Q5 and forward clicky version of the RC-F4 for $23 shipped, which I've considered.

In any case, I have a few questions.

• Is it worth getting the RC-F4 if I'm going to replace the emitter, the switch, and the driver?
  • Is there another place I can find a Tactile Clicky Switch that can be installed in this flashlight?
  • Can anyone recommend me a driver for this flashlight that has more modes, and has at least the same efficiency as the stock driver?

I have a bit of experience with electronics having assembled a couple of headphone amplifiers. In fact, the reason for me getting a flashlight is to have something that drains CR123A's, so I can develop/test a trickle charger for them that will be used in a future portable headphone amp.

Last edited:

JimmerG

Newly Enlightened
P7 in a Romisen RC-G4

Its just got me wondering.... I spotted this -

MTE SF-15 SSC P7-D-SXO 4-Mode Memory 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)

Looks very to me like a standard RC-G4, and many of the Ultrafire bodies.

I've got an RC-G4 Romisen currently sporting a P4 - Does anyone know if there's a P7 drop-in I can.. er ... drop in?

Thanks

J

shark_za

Enlightened
Re: thinking about Romisen RC-F4..

The RC-F4 is BRIGHT in capitals.

The current ones shipping from DX have forward clicky switches as standard, you wont need to modify.

I think you are crazy to go multimode but thats just my opinion.
The forward switch is best with single modes anyway.

As it stands the one from DX or Shiningbeam are great little tactical torches for the price.

nullstring

Newly Enlightened
Re: thinking about Romisen RC-F4..

how do you know the current ones have a forward clicky?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like some more proof/explanation.

Multimode will allow me to use the flashlight for a longer period for the times where I don't need anything excessively bright.
I might just buy a $3 driver and try it out.. and if I don't like it, I can put the old one back.

If they do in fact come with a forward clicky.. then I think I'll go ahead and get a Q5 from dealextreme instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts