Best 2x 18650 flashlight?

MrWill

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have been using Fenix TK22 for a few years, it's been quite good. But since I have ended up with 6 good 18650 cells, and need a bit more throw and general 'power' sometimes, I am in the market for a more powerful light that uses 2x 18650s.

I've looked at a few now, and the Fenix TK35UE seems to eb the one to beat for me. But is £105. Are there any other decent alternatives?

Thanks.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
A co-worker bought the TK35UE a few weeks ago and he is very impressed with it, it's his "go to" EDC. I can assume the TK35UE is one heck of a light, the same guy also owns a TK70 but still talks up the TK35UE more than any other light in his collection.

MrWill

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I just wish the throw was a little further and you could get green and red lense cover for it.

Like the Olight Mx3, 300 and 1000 lumens, but no low setting, and not as good battery life. Want someting inbetween these two lights!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a M3X, very nice light with good throw but long compared to a side-by-side 2x18650 light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hi,

I have been using Fenix TK22 for a few years, it's been quite good. But since I have ended up with 6 good 18650 cells, and need a bit more throw and general 'power' sometimes, I am in the market for a more powerful light that uses 2x 18650s.

I've looked at a few now, and the Fenix TK35UE seems to eb the one to beat for me. But is £105. Are there any other decent alternatives?

Thanks.

It seems that anyone who has ever had a TK35, liked it (including me).
The TK35UE cd 14640 has twice the lumens as your TK22 cd 18950, but not as much throw, so it is MUCH more floody, but it does one heck of a job at that!
OTOH, the TK35 with the XM-L2 emitter has more throw with a cd of 36100

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy cheap buy twice,if you like the Fenix just buy it as you will get every bodies favourite by asking here.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
How about the LD50? That seems to have a lot of fans on here.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a title like this, you're going to get a popularity contest. Malkoff MD4 body, HoundDog head for throw and generous spill, WildCat head V5 for flood, MD head with a variety of dropins for long runtime. Very robust, made in the USA, update the head when something new or better comes out and it is just plain fun dealing with the Malkoffs.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Malkoff MD4 body, HoundDog head for throw and generous spill, WildCat head V5 for flood, MD head with a variety of dropins for long runtime....

Yes, this would be (and is) my choice.

Tough to beat that combo of modularity & Malkoff :twothumbs

MrWill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies.

Just found the Klarus XT30, anyone have anything to say about this light please? So far can't fault it. It seems to tick all the boxes... I want 300m throw min, filters, hi med low. Momentary. Operated by tail cap.

I do like the Fenix TK35ue, but the throw is a bit short and there are no green and red filters made for it. But it is so compact.
I've come really close to buying the M3X Triton a few times, but no low setting.
Armytec Barracuda seems great but it's a bit big.
The LD40 is a bit different, but definitely not what I want.
The Malkoff idea sounds ok but availability here in Uk isn't great, but doesn't look like any filters availabe.

It's between the Klarus and the M3X I think now.

MrWill

Newly Enlightened
Ahhhhhh why on earth are the different specs on the UK vs US site for this Klarus XT30?

UK=
820 lumens (1.8 hrs)
310 lumens (5.5 hrs)
10 lumens (180 hrs)

US=
950 lumens (2.65 hrs)
212 lumens ( 8.15 hrs)
12 lumens (65 hrs)

I assume the US version is new and not available anywhere else yet?

Poppy

Flashaholic
MrWill,
You need to do a lot more reading, or you won't get what you expect.

The CD rating of a light is a measurement of the tightest, most focused portion of the beam. It is used to calculate how FAR it will throw light. The published ANSI rating is to a meer 0.25 lux (about moonlight). To calculate, take the square root of the CD (that gives you distance in meters to ONE lux) then double the distance, (that gives you distance in meters to 0.25 lux). That is what the manufacturers publish as their throw distance.

Also, the farther away the target is, the more lux you need on target to actually SEE the difference the light makes, so at long distances, 0.25 lux is a pretty much useless amount of light. IMO 0.25 lux is good for some uses, up to about 50 feet. AND what you are looking at, or want to be able to see can make a huge difference in the amount of light you will need. For example looking at a black cat in front of a grey rock will require more light than shining the light at a white picket fence.

Here are some calculation examples for you:
TK22 19,000 cd Take square root to get 137 meters @ 1 lux, and double it to 272 meters @ 0.25 lux. (68 meters 4 lux)
Klarus XT30 ... given 453 meters throw to 0.25 lux... 226 meters 1 lux... 113 meters 4 lux
TK35 XM-L2 ... given 380 meters throw to 0.25 lux.... 190 meters 1 lux.... 95 meters 4 lux
TK35ue MT-G2 given 242 meters to 0.25 lux... 121 meters 1 lux... 56 meters 4 lux
Malkoff Hound dog given... 700 lumens - 24,000 CD... 154 meters to 1 lux, 308 meters 0.25 lux, and 76 meters 4 lux.

More lumens means shorter run times. The MT-G2 is a LARGE emitter that takes a lot of power, but as you can see it throws twice as many lumens. However they are spread out quite a bit in the TK35, so it is a floody light. Please read TEEJ's explanation of LUX and CD

Another consideration is that LEDs have a rather narrow spectrum and filters will cut your emitted light to about 30% depending upon the filter.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
To get the output numbers you are looking for, and staying with the Fenix line of lights, you might consider the TK75 it takes FOUR 18650s. Oh yeah... it is a little over your budget, but like others have said.... "buy once, cry once" :)
Good luck.

Last edited:

MrWill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for this, has helped a lot. Slightly embarrassed by my previous total lack of knowledge.

Have ordered the Olight M3X. Have a little Gerber task light thing for map reading, and ordering a TK35 XM-L2 U2 version shortly.

Expensive. But needed.

Any disocunt codes about for the likes of torchdirect.co.uk or myfenix.co.uk? Flashaholics do not seem to do the version of the TK35 I am after which is sad as I know a code for them, from previous cell orders.

mward94

Newly Enlightened
Armytek Barracuda cannot be challenged in terms of build quality.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for this, has helped a lot. Slightly embarrassed by my previous total lack of knowledge.

Have ordered the Olight M3X. Have a little Gerber task light thing for map reading, and ordering a TK35 XM-L2 U2 version shortly.

Expensive. But needed.

Any disocunt codes about for the likes of torchdirect.co.uk or myfenix.co.uk? Flashaholics do not seem to do the version of the TK35 I am after which is sad as I know a code for them, from previous cell orders.
MrWill, I have all these lights, including the M3X and Fenix TK35UE. In humble opinion, you should skip the standard TK35 and go for the UE version. Your Olight M3X will give you plenty of throw, and if you get a TK35UE youll have the floody spectrum covered when you need it for those applications. Simply put, the TK35UE is my "go to" light and even throws pretty well. Only my expensive modded lights can compare to my TK35UE, and not many at that. It's a very impressive light in beam prifile, output, form factor and battery life.

Taz80

Enlightened
I also have all three lights and agree with historyfuzz. The Tk35 XM-L2 U2 is a great all round light and if you were getting just one this would be a good pick. Since the M3X is your thrower you might as well get a flooder to go with it. The TK35ue is a impressive light, it will also throw at least as far as your TK22. I,m assuming your TK22 is the older 650lm version.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I also have all three lights and agree with historyfuzz. The Tk35 XM-L2 U2 is a great all round light and if you were getting just one this would be a good pick. Since the M3X is your thrower you might as well get a flooder to go with it. The TK35ue is a impressive light, it will also throw at least as far as your TK22. I,m assuming your TK22 is the older 650lm version.

MrWill,
I'm glad that this has been a learning experience for you. Now with your additional knowledge, and a deeper understanding of beam profiles etc, you'll be better able to help other people. AND better explain to other people your reasoning for selecting the light/s that you did.

I also agree with Taz80, and historyfuzz, unless you have a reason for two throwers. The M3X will out throw theTK35 XM-L2 so it would be your dedicated thrower. Personally I would probably get the more floody version of the TK35 - the TK35UE with the MT-G2 emitter. That would make my flashlight collection a little more rounded out. OTOH, if you are getting two lights so that your partner has one with similar reach, then the TK35 XM-L2 version may be more appropriate for your needs. The one advantage of the TK35 is that it is more compact and CAN be carried in my back jeans pocket, so the XM-L2 version may be the one to get for those times that you want to reach out and touch a target when you know that you won't need the additional reach of the M3X.

Oh decisions, decisions :popcorn:
Good luck!
Have a great day :)

Last edited: