BMW 1998 Z3 most effective upgrade

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
From ECE reg 37 itself:

HB3/9005: 1,860lm +- 12% @ 13.2v
HIR1/9011: 2500lm +- 15% @ 13.2v

The worst (new) 9005 that's still legal should do no less than 1144 lm (12v, -12% tolerance)

Why suddenly switch to 12v numbers when every other number in your post is at 13.2v? The allowable intensity range for HB3 at 13.2v is 1637 to 2083 lumens; for HIR1 at 13.2v it is 2125 to 2875 lumens. Which means the worst HIR1 is practically the same as the best HB3, but since most good-quality bulbs tend to be near the middle of the spec, a "worst to best" comparison is just as unrealistic as a "best to worst" comparison.

Now in reality these numbers mean absolutely nothing

That's not the case. They mean something very specific, easy to understand and quantifiable.

Last edited:

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
If you're trying to see as well as possible, get those "white vision" bulbs out of there...

How come? Lumens wise they seem about in line at 1095 lumens for 9006s. Not HR2s granted.

So both main 9011s in tonight. Getting about 450 metres bouncing light back of the warning signs at the end of my road and its not particularly dark so better I think. Definitely more punch to the beam I think but I know being subjective will get me in trouble here..

I think what makes this halogen thing tricky is that of my other vehicles one is wall to wall HID and the other is an off road vehicle with truck lite headlights (V we have been here) and a couple of rigid bars.

I have gotten used to 5000-6000k and halogen just looks dull and yellow. So I have to focus on what I can see and not how "bright" it looks.

I don't want to change the actual lights on the Z so as to keep it period 1990's so will move on to 9012s I guess.

But I still like the white vision 9006s...☺

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come? Lumens wise they seem about in line at 1095 lumens for 9006s. Not HR2s granted.
The blue tinting that extends into the main portion of the beam removes the red/orange/yellow light we see well by and leaves behind blue light which we don't see well by. They may try to compensate for filtration losses by burning the filament hotter, but that also reduces the R/O/Y and skews the light toward blue -- and shortens bulb life.

There are better HB4 bulbs than that.

The reason they might make one think they see better is the same reason non-performers sell so well: The human optical system is easily tricked.

I have gotten used to 5000-6000k and halogen just looks dull and yellow. So I have to focus on what I can see and not how "bright" it looks.
White light is white. A properly fed halogen bulb may appear yellow next to an HID lamp, but that is because HID just has a very strong blue component to it. It's still white light.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
How come? Lumens wise they seem about in line at 1095 lumens for 9006s.

That's not how much light your bulb puts out, it's the nominal spec in Regulation 37 for HB4 at 13.2v. The legal range of intensity for an HB4 (9006) is 850 to 1150 lumens at 12.8v (931 to 1259 at 13.2v) and the blue-glass bulbs come in near the bottom of the range because blue glass blocks some of the light that would reach the road if the glass weren't blue.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Why suddenly switch to 12v numbers when every other number in your post is at 13.2v? The allowable intensity range for HB3 at 13.2v is 1637 to 2083 lumens; for HIR1 at 13.2v it is 2125 to 2875 lumens. Which means the worst HIR1 is practically the same as the best HB3, but since most good-quality bulbs tend to be near the middle of the spec, a "worst to best" comparison is just as unrealistic as a "best to worst" comparison.

I was taking the liberty of assuming his 19+ year old bmw may not have perfect wiring and thus voltage sag. I was trying to convey to the OP that while it may not be visible, a compliant HIR1 is most certainly is brighter than even a good HB3.

That's not the case. They mean something very specific, easy to understand and quantifiable.

I was attempting to say "you cannot extrapolate how bright your individual halogen bulb is beyond knowing its within spec (assuming reputable bulbs were chosen)".

Latest posts