Bored With Surefire?

strinq

Enlightened
Erm, just wondering Mod.
Is it a rule in this forum where we cannot question the quality/affordability etc etc of any brand?
Because as I see it, this thread is about a person wondering about the quality/affordability of a certain brand.
Just want to know.

DM51

Flashaholic
Erm, just wondering Mod.
Is it a rule in this forum where we cannot question the quality/affordability etc etc of any brand?
Because as I see it, this thread is about a person wondering about the quality/affordability of a certain brand.
Just want to know.
Fair question. It is of course perfectly permissible to ask such questions, but problems can arise where they are asked in a provocative manner that might irritate other members into making confrontational responses.

In this case the wording is borderline, and the responses so far have been reasonable; had that not been the case, the thread might have been closed by now.

One factor in deciding the viability of a thread is how frequently a similar question has been asked before. This thread has many predecessors, most of which ended badly. This one could suffer the same fate, but if members keep their responses civil and reasonable that should not happen.

henry1960

Enlightened
I own many lights but SureFire is like you walking down the street with a body guard on each side of you....Nobody is Going to Mess with SureFire :grin2:

Now you ask....If i am bored with SureFire :popcorn:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erm, just wondering Mod.
Just want to know.

LOl...in the early days of cpf there were two types of people...the rich Surefire hotwire bright gang...and the poor LED dimm gang. A little bit of rivalry existed then :touche::hahaha::xyxgun::bow::tsk::banghead::banned::banned::banned::whoopin:. The Surefire gang thought LED`s were silly things...and the LED gang simply could not afford to play in the high lumen (up to 60) Surefire world.

So it`s a old as the dinosours rivalry that has persisted. My oh my, how some things have changed...yet others...remain the same :nana:

Last edited:

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
"Bored"? No, but perhaps hoping that they would release some lights using some of the newer LEDs. I do own several (M3) from them, but I have held off on their LED models. Their manufacturing quality and parts availability are second to none (IMO, of course). For me, it's all about the lumens out, followed by quality, followed by value($/lumen), followed by UI, followed by efficiency.

I was very close to getting a Kroma-ms, but I kept hoping to see it revved with it's primary output to go up into the 100+ lumen range, that never happened and with the price increases this past spring, I won't be getting one now.

I like the U2/U2A, but even with the A upgrade, it still seems a little outdated. There are a few companies that are making similiar (not exact) Ring-based selection UI's now. Their offerings may peak people's interest. I have looked at most of them, as reviews become available.

I am not really a heavy modder, so to speak, I prefer to get stock lights so that they stay in warranty. So what a company offers "out-of-the-box" is important to me.

I'll just have to see what they come out with next. I don't pay attention to any pre-announcements, I only look at what I can buy right now. But I will say one thing, their lights are rapidly approaching USD 500 for their "specialty" lights/mount combos, once that level is breached, it will be much more difficult for them to be in my list of candidates, but that may not matter to them, if military sales are their main source of sales.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first quality light was a Surefire and shortly thereafter I found this forum, I personally like other lights more than Surefire simply because of the UI! Surefire lights are tough but so are a few others, especially the RA line of lights, don't think I will ever be bored regarding Surefire but for me better lights exist, though this is very subjective to say the least.

carrot

Flashaholic
Not bored at all. Just because they do not cater to your perceived needs does not make them worthless to all others. 9/10 times I will take a Surefire or custom over anything else.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not bored of them at all. There are still Surefire's that have been around for ages I'd like, but can't afford. From Surefire's point of view I doubt boredom even comes into it, like Snap-on probably don't worry about people becoming bored with their spanners.

The more I think about it the more strange this hobby seems, and 'normal' people just don't get excited about any flashlights. Making them interesting and collectable shouldn't be important when it comes to professional tools. My poor little E1L hasn't impressed a single person I've shown it to, but I know what it is, and that's what matters.

I'm glad there are more affordable flashlights out there that can raise an eyebrow even amongst non flashaholics, but I don't think I'd like to see Surefire go down that road.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have only a few SF lights (G2, L1, Backup 6P, 9P) and has mostly stayed away from them. I believe the problem is their long development time, when they start on a project they start with something that is in the front line of technology, but before they are finished, lot of other companies has passed them.
This is not a problem for most users, they just want a good light, and SF can deliver on that, but for people that wants a light that is technological in front, the "fast" pace in led development, makes SF look behind the times.
Another problem is their specification, they get locked in when the put a light on the market, even if they upgrade the led, the specifications are not always upgrade. I believe that is the reason for the "SF lumen" saying, but also it is a reason for many people to stay away from their light. I.e. the specification say 120 lumen, but the led has been updated to 180 lumen in the newest production run, how do you know which one you get? (This has been a problem for me)

But I am not bored with SF, at the current time I really want a LX2, but I have not found a place to get it yet (I do not do ebay).

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
I agree with HKJ concerning Surefire's tendency to lag somewhat behind in terms of technological advancements whether it be in LED's, drivers, or even UI. In their defense I would say that because of Surefire's government and law enforcement contracts they are required to manufacture lights at a much higher level of quality and reliability than many other strictly consumer manufacturers. Fenix has become a popular brand over the last several years and to my knowledge they have just now begun supplying lights to the Chinese military (TA30). Companies that aren't being held to such high standards by government and law enforcement agencies are clearly able to design and produce lights at a much faster rate without having to submit them to thorough quality and reliability testing. I believe Surefire would rather lag slightly behind technologically and produce a light that can survive the cruelest of treatment and still operate properly in a life or death scenario. Product testing and revision takes time but ultimately I think that Surefire's committment to this process is what makes people feel confident that their light will perform when its needed most.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know if I would use "bored" either, but I somewhat agree. It's more like my attention (and $$) have been drawn away from SF and drawn towards other brands. I too was a huge fan of Surefire and still currently have over a half a dozen of them in my collection. I couldn't rave more about my L4 for a long time and I've had my eye on the M3T for as long as I can remember but I just couldn't justify the price. It's been years since I have purchased a SF as well, mainly in part because I have been able to satisfy my lighting needs with other products at a third of the price (My most recent being the Jetbeam M1X for my M3T itch...). I still think Surefire makes a fantastic, rugged and reliable product with great CS, but for the time being, I've been able to fill my non-life-threatening lighting needs with other less expensive but equally tough and reliable lights.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm also not "bored" with SF lights, I think my indifference has more to do with other reputable manufacturers producing some very fine and interesting lights as of late. For example look at how many makers have produced quad-die lights while SF seems to be out to lunch.

I don't consider myself to be a flavor of the month person but I have always been interested in specific categories. I like to watch the development of "throw" lights and I also lean toward lights which produce a large amount of output with respect to their size. Surefire hasn't seemed to be at the forefront of these areas so I tend to forget about them. I did take notice of the T1A with great anticipation but when I saw the quality of the beam I lost complete interest. With that said, I think the LX2 might be a prospect for EDC light of the year. I love the look, size and reported output of that little gem even though I don't personally own one yet. When SF produces particular products that seem to offer advantages over others, I sit up an take notice. :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my C2 and now that I did some work on my U2 I love it even more!

31480519.jpg

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Bored? No, not at all. A little frustrated? Perhaps.

I love the quality and reliability of Surefire lights. But, as other posters have already stated, Surefire's lack of rechargable friendliness is frustrating. I think it's expensive and wasteful to use disposable primary cells. Also, I prefer to begin the day with a fully-charged battery every day. If I have used my lights at all, I just pop in a freshly-charged cell. This makes it largely unnecessary to change batteries when using my lights. If I were relying on primary cells, I would have to make sure that spares were always immediately available.

My first really good light was an L4, and I still carry that L4 every day at work, powered by a 17670. I would love to upgrade the head to the new 120-lumen head, but by all reports it doesn't work very well on a 17670. Same with the KX1 and KX2 heads.

I understand the reasoning behind Surefire's decision to limit the use of rechargables. With a lifetime warranty, they have a stake in making sure that their lights are run on the appropriate voltage. And of course, they sell CR123s.

I wish Surefires were more usable on my terms. For the foreseeable future, however, my principal interest in Surefires will be in using my C2 and G2s as drop-in hosts.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
bored isn't necessarily bad, its like how you look for reliability in a good car. Surefire may not aim for innovation, but they produce reliable high performance lights even if the pricetag is more than a little steep.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
If you get bored just change it.

I bought a couple Lumans factory HO-09 Lamps fot the 6PD, and run it on 2 x IMR16340.

It is quite an improvement. And no more need for boxes of CR123 cells.

Surefire is a bit behind on the technology, but for non-flashaholics looking at local stores, they are high tech wonders.

If Olight, Fenix, or any of the other quality lights actualy had a dealer network, and were in local stores, Surefire would have a problem.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The unnecessarily provocative title does not augur well for the future of this thread.

I actually think it's a pretty good question. I don't think the OP is aking if we think SureFire isn't all its cracked up to be, just whether the thrill is gone. That could be asked of any brand of light, Fenix, LumaPower, Romisen, LiteFlux....

Time was, SureFire was THE flashlight in the US ... or at least it was portrayed that way. The 6P and E2D were all the rage among the "gunny" crowd, and probably a few LEOs liked them also. They were THE "tactical" lights, and Mags were the utility lights. And everything else, was, well, everything else. Just a flashlight.

Now there are high quality lights from better than a dozen manufacturers, here in the US and oversees, not to mention the custom and semi-cutsom outfits out there. And there are flashlights for every conceivable need, or perceived need. And lights that are just there becaue they are cool in one way or another and people like them for that and buy them.

Am I bored with Fenix? I have three, an L2P v.2, and L1T v.2, and an E01. I got the 2 L-series lights, and I don't really think there's anything Fenxi offers now that I need or want. Although one could always have a few more E01s around. Bored? No. Interested in getting more Fenix lights? Not at this time. the ones I have suit me just fine, and get used. But if I broke, or lost my L1T, I'd repalce it with...another L1T.

So I think the question is, with all the other lights out there, does Surefire still hold the kind of interest for people that it used to? SureFire is still around and making alot of different models of lights and people are still buying them. I just recently purchased my first three, two E1Es and an E2E. And I like them. All incans, and I didn't have any incans, and I think these are cool. I might get an E1L or L1 or LX1, and....maybe a G2, but only to stick a Malkoff in it.

Am I bored with SureFire? No. Am I thrilled with SureFire? No. They have some nice lights that are well made that seem to me to best serve the particualr wants/needs I have for certain lights. That's really all it is. I'm interested and enthusiastic about the one's that I think would be useful to me, or that just strike me as "cool" but as for the others, I could care less. Titan, G3, Kroma, HID lights...the Vampire? Can't think of a reason to ever buy one, so I don't even think of them. An incan A2? Now, that's just cool. Haven't a clue why I'd need it, but ...

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an E1B when it was on sale and a Vital Gear body when it was on sale. That has been my past 6 months or so history with Surefire.

I have every model I'm interested in having and I don't really see anything on the horizon that is different enough to make me want to spend more money.

I would welcome a new idea.

Bushman5

Enlightened
Yes & No...part of me really likes them for their bombproof designs, but the stagnation is really putting me off. i dont think they should be putting out a catalog of new lights (ARC, hellooooooooo???) unless they have them ready for sale.

also, i can get a 200 lumen, 15 lumen low from fenix for WAY cheaper, and my fenix dealer has a no questions asked warranty too.

i dunno, kinda jaded, not really happy the lights i see and want in the catalog are not available.

really keen on the Quarks and some Customs right now, as well as Fenix...

now, about that job i need......

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bored? Not at all. I constantly have the urge to fiddle with one of mine for a bit.

The new lineups are very very interesting. My E2DL and LX2 are both outstanding lights with excellent tint. I won't bore anyone with comments on their outstanding quality (oops too late :devil:). I have to admit though that I don't much like the looks of the E2DL's bezel (that did not stop me from shelling out for one :grin2:).

The Titan is also very intriguing but the reports of bluish tint are keeping me from pulling the trigger on it. It would have suited me perfectly for nightly strolls otherwise. Who knows how long I can resist though :naughty:? It would also be great if its maximum was twice the reported lumens.

Sometimes I wonder just what I am getting from Surefire (besides some of the best flashlights that is :D). I mean that their specs are often short on details. I like to know more than they are willing to share. Lamps bins, circuit efficiencies, and the like.

I just hope they won't keep us waiting too long for the A2Ls, Saints, Vampires, and all the others. I also hope they have not shelved the Optimus and Invictus; that would be :mecry:.