Brightest Budget AA Lights for Christmas gifts

Hypo

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPFers, first let me say that this forum has been invaluable to me over the past few years, and I'm grateful for everyone's reviews and contributions.

I'm looking for a Christmas gift for about 8 people who are flashlight newbies -- they'll judge the quality mostly based on perceived brightness. I'm having some difficulty comparing the available lights because of new unreviewed lights and specs that focus more on 14500s. I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of current products can help me out. So here are my criteria, and I would be very grateful for some recommendations:

• A price under $40 USD -- $20 to $30 would be ideal
  • High lumens, but with a direct-drive-like turbo/max mode that doesn't (quickly) step down
  • Ability to use alkalines, NiMH, and 14500s, but alkaline performance is especially important
  • Floody lights are better, no need for throw
  • No PWM in any mode
  • A robust clip
What's not so important:

• An available extension tube for 2xAA would be a huge plus
  • Color and CRI aren't too important, but neutral color would be best
  • Heat isn't a problem as long as the light doesn't melt itself
  • Button placement is not very important, but a side button would be nice (a la Zebralight)
  • Modes aren't very important either -- just low, medium, and max would be fine
  • An available diffuser would also be nice.
I found that Thrunite lights often (usually?) have drive-drive-like turbo modes, but I'm not sure if all of their AA lights have that. Their current T10 shows 252 lumens on a 1.2v alkaline, which seems great, but the reviews I saw were for the older 169 lumen version. I also see conflicting information about using a 14500. Thrunite shows it accepts 4.2v, but I read a 14500 isn't supported. Is it just a problem with heat?

I also found the Manker E11, which seems to be amazingly bright, but steps down after about three minutes. Is it possible to hit the mode button and go back to full turbo? And has anyone measured the lumens this actually puts out?

What other suitable lights are out there?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes a AAA light with 130 lumens can seem more impressive than a AA light with 200 Lumens due to size vs output. Also AAA are even more easily EDC. Just a thought.

I have an ThruNite Archer 1A V2 which does support 14500 boosting the output considerably according to online tests, but I didn't pursue that route for a couple of reasons, all of which work against the 14500 cell.

- You can find AA alkaline or NiMh absolutely anywhere
- NiMh AA chargers are also found anywhere,
- AA are almost universal in dimension specification (size).

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet-1 MK1 atm on Promo for 12.72$ On Gearbest

very good flashlight
480 lumens with Li and 150 with AA
no pwm, step up circuit for long constant light
ar coated mineral glas lens

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_368125.html?wid=21

20160617135010_37882.jpg

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
I have tested it photographing water drops in my shower no trace of PWM

on my Convoy flashlights I could see 11 dots for 4500Hz pwm

both lights on lowest mode
IMG_8481.jpg

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened
My advice is to wait until Black Friday. I bought a dozen Olight s15r with 14500 battery and charging docks for under $15 each. Olight s1 were $27, and might be cleared out this year to make way for the mini. Hoping s2a goes on sale too...

the sales will be from going gear, and others, make sure you pay the $1-2 or less to guarantee express shipping in time. Worked for me

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the jetbeam uses pwm, but only with a 14500 battery. The quality feel is outstanding for the price, dont feel like a budget light at all. I like it, but i only feed it with eneloops. Nice runtimes.

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
the jetbeam uses pwm, but only with a 14500 battery. The quality feel is outstanding for the price, dont feel like a budget light at all. I like it, but i only feed it with eneloops. Nice runtimes.

do you have longer runtime with eneloops compared to 14500?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont know, but it must have. (based on output.) It's a lot brighter on a 14500. Only tested it once with a 14500. When i saw the pwm, i decided to never use a 14500 and went back to eneloops. Cant stand visible pwm. Really nice light when using a eneloop or regular alkaline. Most pepole will use alkaline, so perfect for gifts. Love the memory. Use mine all the time, even when i got way more expencive aa lights to play with :)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
From everything I have read 14500 give higher outputs but with 1/3 runtimes vs AA.

cactus man

Newly Enlightened
Check out the "NEBO Big Larry" line of AAA and AA flashlights.
You may find them locally at an ACE Hardware or on E-bay....
There is a thread here on budget lights discussing the various models.

Cactus Man

Last edited:

Hypo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for the replies. That Jet-1 is really appealing at that price, but with 150 lumens it's pretty weak. Thrunite's T10 (currently) says it has 250 lumens and I feel like that would be a better value. It also comes in a nice box with a diffuser.

DMS1970, thanks for the tip about the S15R. I will be watching on Black Friday.

Can anyone recommend some other similar lights?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont put too mutch weight on the lumens. First, you need four times the lumens to appear twice as bright. So 150 vs 250 is no big difference at all to the eye. The difference is in the runtimes. Give the lights to someone that uses alkaline batteries, and the difference is way less. 250 lumen for 5 min and then the battery starts to give up on you and drops the output.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes a AAA light with 130 lumens can seem more impressive than a AA light with 200 Lumens due to size vs output. Also AAA are even more easily EDC. Just a thought.

I have an ThruNite Archer 1A V2 which does support 14500 boosting the output considerably according to online tests, but I didn't pursue that route for a couple of reasons, all of which work against the 14500 cell.

- You can find AA alkaline or NiMh absolutely anywhere
- NiMh AA chargers are also found anywhere,
- AA are almost universal in dimension specification (size).

I also have the Thrunite Archer 1A V2. It is definitely significantly brighter on 14500, but I don't think I'd shop for gift lights based on 14500, for the above reasons plus the fact that many of the people I would be giving gifts to probably would not even understand that they need to be careful not to use 3.7V batteries in other devices or to charge them improperly.

Also, while I like the size of the Archer for utility purposes (comfortable to hold, but still pocketable) and actually chose it over the Olight S15 partially for this reason, I consider it a bit big for an EDC. I'd look at the Thrunite T10 or Fenix E12 for budget EDC's, or the Olight S1A for a higher performance model (and a lot more $$).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet-1 MK1 atm on Promo for 12.72$ On Gearbest

very good flashlight
480 lumens with Li and 150 with AA
no pwm, step up circuit for long constant light
ar coated mineral glas lens
I just bought four of them. Not as cheap as the price in your link but $62 including expedited shipping. Without the expedited shipping, the scheduled shipping times was about three weeks. Are these coming from China? Does DHL give out tracking notices?

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_368125.html?wid=21

20160617135010_37882.jpg

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Hmm, see if the LiL Lucy or its male equivalent, the LiL Larry by NeboTools suits your criteria. The light can be shortened by removing a battery and attaching the magnetic bottom. For what it's worth, the LiL Lucy's pink color is awesome.

Croquette

Enlightened
Why not the Reylight in brass ?

High quality light, very good tint, no pwm.

And for a gift, what's better than a semi custom light ?