Bug Out Bag Light?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm trying to standardize too. I was trying to do it with 18650s and 16340s. My thought was that with a decent supply of rechargeables, and some solar power, there would be no need to fall back to scavenging AAs. My issue with 1.5V fuel is that my preferred lights get so big with 2x AA in series. But I can't find a solid, small FM, MW, SW radio that uses Li-ion. So I still have to keep AAs around... So much for the standardization.

My issue with such rechargeables is that they take too long to charge up. Even with a good power supply for a charger. But solar?.... Several long days of rain and depleted batteries could have you trying to conserve your candles for a working light source.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm trying to standardize too. I was trying to do it with 18650s and 16340s. My thought was that with a decent supply of rechargeables, and some solar power, there would be no need to fall back to scavenging AAs. My issue with 1.5V fuel is that my preferred lights get so big with 2x AA in series. But I can't find a solid, small FM, MW, SW radio that uses Li-ion. So I still have to keep AAs around... So much for the standardization.
I've looked for a tempting 18650 radio.... FM/AM... definitely FM stereo output either 1/8(3.5mm) stereo jack or bluetooth so I can either use stereo earbuds or a stereo bluetooth speaker and gave up for awhile in that idea as my AAA based radios will suffice for now.
I have tried to standardize but found that it is an ever ongoing process as you often have to wait for new devices (designs) to come out that offer another battery format. Until I got into the 18650 format I wanted 2 dozen AAs and over 1 dozen AAAs as backup to power my lights/devices and had a 4AA USB adapter to recharge my old Ipod. Now that device is obsolete and no need to have spare batteries for it about 8AAs instead I have a single 4 cell power bank that matches a dozen AA nimh cells in output and recharges faster too. Couple this with a USB charger and you don't need but one set of cells (rechargeable) for devices.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my VX-3 and it will run on AAs and I can transmit with it too!
Sadly Yaesu has discontinued them but they are available in the used market for sure.
For me this is an ideal radio for the bag although I also do have a lot of bigger ones and many that will run on AAs too this one os so small that I can always have it on a pocket if needed.

VX-3_1.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of ways to skin this cat.
- During Sandy the only consistently available batteries were 9Vs... break a 9V down and you get 6xAAAAs. AAAAs will run low lumens well, eg. 0.5/3lms about 80/8hrs X 6 cells - those are the outputs I use 90% of the time anyway.
- Loads of half-used scavengable alkalines/NiMh in every household in remotes, wireless phones, smoke detectors, toys, clocks, radios, etc.
- Mechanical, wide-voltage, efficient low lumen lights with negative ground paths through the threads can be easily rigged to run on any battery with simple 'wallet tools': $-bills, tinfoil, paperclip
- A LV Quark on a 2xCR123 tube running a 16650 can also efficiently regulate any AAAA, AAA, AA, CR123 -sized cell (and of any chemistry up to 4.2v) in the tube with wallet tool spacers. Larger cells (eg C, D, 18650) can run without the tube in a lantern mode. Similar thing goes for the D25A, although it's not as efficiently regulated (output will shift with voltage). Even my backup keychain Preon Revo can run on any alkaline (quadA thru Dcell).
- A 1oz Nitecore F1 can be used to test voltage from alkalines to Li-ions; can powerbank Li-ions, alkalines, and NiMh to USB; and can charge Li-ions and NiMh (~50%)....when Alks and NiMh are linked 3 in series with Buckyballs.
- A 1oz 12v USB charger can turn an abandoned vehicle into a battery charger
- I just test my 3-4yr old X-Dragon 1.5lb 20w solar panel last Feb and it had no problem simultaneously charging my iPad and iPhone at 1.5 and 0.8 amps, or about 75-80% of its peak wall charging rate. Amazingly, it also had no issues with restarting after passing clouds.
- An Inreach sat com messenger is a battery miser... lasts 4-5days on what I guess is an 18650 cell.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
My issue with such rechargeables is that they take too long to charge up. Even with a good power supply for a charger. But solar?.... Several long days of rain and depleted batteries could have you trying to conserve your candles for a working light source.
I don't have it yet, but my plan is 500W worth of panels with approx 180 Amp hours of battery storage @ 12V. From that, I'll charge the smaller cells like 18650s. So I should be OK with several days of rain and clouds.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree that solar is just not that great of a solution for short term outages and portability in a bug out bag. Most of the country when you have to bug out you are leaving to an area that even if there is disruption there will be limited power resources available which will in a short time be able to help replenish batteries and devices while a solar panel that is adequately portable will take many hours, even days to compared to 12v automotive and grid power. As far as candles.... no need for them except for them putting out heat there is a lot of lights that can run for a long time using low modes that the space candles taken up could be used for batteries instead.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That's a good point on candles. Never really thought of it like that. But also they do provide a feeling of home and can lift the spirits in tough times.you will fail in your head way before your body. Survival is 75 percent mental. That's why I'n my BOB and GHB I bring stuff that will help to pass the time and relax.an older iPhone with all kinds of moves downloaded and a 3DS.may sound stupid but a few hours of Zelda will cheer me right up.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TN4A and many other Chinese lights are not recommend due to their crazy UIs that require manuals and study. Exactly as Brooke pointed out:

"For example an EDC light can have exotic mode control because you learn how to use it, but for Bug Out Bag or power fail use the light may not have been touched for years and when it's needed is not the time to read the fine print to how to use it, so an simple user interface is mandatory."

All good points Brooke, especially about the 20 year lithium AA batteries. I agree.

However for a bug out bag, I'd recommend a simple headlamp (Petzl) with lithium AAAs (USB rechargeable pack also available!) for your primary lighting, a backup Petzl E+lite as headlamps really are that important, plus a Pak-Lite 9V light (for area/room lighting) for everybody. A small tactical light could also be useful for identifying threats and keeping in a pocket at all times (Streamlight Protac 1AAA, running off the same lithium batteries, small and weighs nothing).
No fanboy recommendations here, just all the most practical options and all relatively inexpensive, no need to go buying expensive lights for this purpose.
BTW the Malkoff single AA MDC has no polarity protection, insert the battery in the wrong way and your light goes :poof:. Not what you need in an emergency.

I appreciate the reply. I thought this was going to be another bug out bag flashlight thread where 90% of the people recommended something oddly specific and not very useful, like a high CRI, 2700K Sofirn C01 or something lazy, like a Photon squeeze light.

I have been meaning to amend my own reply earlier in the thread, though, because I did get a chance to buy a Thrunite TN4A in the meantime. The thing is a lot heavier than I expected it would be with four AA's loaded in it. It's practically a brick in my pants pocket, so it really doesn't make much sense to me, anymore, in a bug out bag or go bag, or any other kind of bag. It's also much more throwy than I thought it would be, so the lower modes don't seem that useful. Maybe not good for much else than gifting to non-enthusiast types.

I'm not sure I'd call the Thrunite UI "exotic." Andruil, with its unusual actions you never see on any other device, like six clicks or click-click-hold, or configurations that require arcane sequences of 30+ clicks, (that is, translated into non-enthusiast-ese: all the pitfalls to misconfigure your light in case you lend it to a "nervous clicker") is exotic. But the kind of UI that a lot of these flashlight companies, like Thrunite, use? You press the button once and light comes out the front. You press the button again and it goes dark. Up to this point, a monkey could operate it. We are not monkeys. We use these amazingly complex smartphones and desktop computers through our daily lives, some of them with only one unlabeled UI button, same as a flashlight, but somehow we can't figure out that pressing and holding the button on a flashlight might change the modes? Or with a tail cap switch, that a half click might do something different from a full click? I'm not so sure about that.

That said, I do agree about the usefulness of headlamps. A basic, floody, Petzl or Black Diamond, AAA or AA headlamp, with a long runtime, will surely come in handy in any kind of survival situation. I guess, if it works for hiking and camping, it works for a bug out bag.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pepole that reccomend a malkoff md3, have never tried to hold one in their mouth while doing something simple, like slicing bread or gathering firewood :devil: I do a lot of camping, and i always bring handheld lights. But never use them. Headlamps are just in a different league when it comes to actually doing stuff in the dark. And also is better for walking since i swing my arms while i walk. The downside for headlamp is i often blind people i talk to, but that's not my problem hehe. And you can get a lot of insects in your face since many of them are attracted to light.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
Pepole that reccomend a malkoff md3, have never tried to hold one in their mouth while doing something simple, like slicing bread or gathering firewood :devil: I do a lot of camping, and i always bring handheld lights. But never use them. Headlamps are just in a different league when it comes to actually doing stuff in the dark. And also is better for walking since i swing my arms while i walk. The downside for headlamp is i often blind people i talk to, but that's not my problem hehe. And you can get a lot of insects in your face since many of them are attracted to light.

So it's not just me? It really struck me as weird when I first started reading flashlight forums just how little I see people talking about such an incredibly practical category of lights like headlamps relative to the least practical types of flashlights imaginable.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it's not just me? It really struck me as weird when I first started reading flashlight forums just how little I see people talking about such an incredibly practical category of lights like headlamps relative to the least practical types of flashlights imaginable.
Most are not eager to let their freak flag fly that much and look like the light dorks like we do!
I get teased pretty much continuously when wearing a Head Lamp but I really do not care,actually I sort of feed on it.
I can see the work!

It does make a pretty bold statement for sure.

I just got an Armytec ELF C2 and a Manker E03 a few weeks ago and have been in Montana on a job for the last 2 weeks and used these lights along with my ZL SC64w and Milwaukee 2aaa penlight the entire time and I think I have found an ideal combination of lights for the Apocalypse maybe!

I never recharged an 18650 and was working in an 8000 sq. ft. log cabin that was like working in the dark the whole time.

I brought plenty of other lights but really just used these 4 and could be satisfied if I had to all the time.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
Most are not eager to let their freak flag fly that much and look like the light dorks like we do!
I get teased pretty much continuously when wearing a Head Lamp but I really do not care,actually I sort of feed on it.

Not trying to hijack the thread too much, but I honestly had never heard this counter-rational sentiment (that headlamps are somehow uncool or nerdy) before being introduced to the flashlight community. Flashlight enthusiasts are the biggest nerds that exist, but they're the only ones I see shunning headlamps as "too dorky."

People who I've met out camping all know about headlamps. It would be unusual to see a backpacker out in the woods, trying to make do with just a handheld flashlight. What are they going to do with their handheld when they need both hands to put up their tent, fix a meal, carry firewood or do any other camp chore, and it's dark? For a normal person, I think they would only need to go camping once with a headlamp to understand the difference.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a huge proponent of headlamps, I can understand what you guys are saying. However, you can't knock the versatility of the MD3 with certain drop ins, as far as all of the different battery combinations that you can run it on in a pinch.

While my main light is a flashlight, my headlamp is never to far. I was a convert on my first camping trip and never looked back. I was biting my mini mag while tending to the food and a friend of mine had a headlamp- right after the trip I got the first headlamp that I could find- a cheap energizer- then after finding this forum got a zebralight.

for a BOB, a headlamp is a must -in my opinion- but a light like the MD3 with the appropriate drop in shouldn't be overlooked.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That's a good point on candles. Never really thought of it like that. But also they do provide a feeling of home and can lift the spirits in tough times.you will fail in your head way before your body. Survival is 75 percent mental. That's why I'n my BOB and GHB I bring stuff that will help to pass the time and relax.an older iPhone with all kinds of moves downloaded and a 3DS.may sound stupid but a few hours of Zelda will cheer me right up.

If I had the funds to splurge I would go for a 1080P 10" tablet (probably Samsung) that has 32GB memory or more and supports SD cards of 200GB or more that way you can load up on movies and music and a few games also and get a bluetooth keyboard so you can type easier.
I also have some battery powered speakers (small) but since I've collected a few bluetooth speakers I no longer need them.
Enertainment is a must for bugging out at least a deck of cards would be better than nothing, music and radio good. What would be great is a tablet that also has built in digital tv tuner so you can get local information. My sony portable dvd players have video input and I picked up a 12v DTV tuner so I can have tv in a vehicle in a compact (9") size screen.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really referring to people who I meet while working with a lamp on my head and not Campers who are easily as Dorky as we are if not a bunch of the same folks.
I think those of us who are just practical and like to live that way will avail themselves of any tool that makes sense and care little if anyone else thinks about it at all.

Then there are people who pay others to do things for them or those not able to get along without a lot of help who seem to not give these things any real thought but still have things to say about those of us that do.

I don't really care either way and just go on my way in the light,so to speak.

Anyway I think Nerdy is different to different people so rational is in the eye of the user as well.

Not trying to hijack the thread too much, but I honestly had never heard this counter-rational sentiment (that headlamps are somehow uncool or nerdy) before being introduced to the flashlight community. Flashlight enthusiasts are the biggest nerds that exist, but they're the only ones I see shunning headlamps as "too dorky."

People who I've met out camping all know about headlamps. It would be unusual to see a backpacker out in the woods, trying to make do with just a handheld flashlight. What are they going to do with their handheld when they need both hands to put up their tent, fix a meal, carry firewood or do any other camp chore, and it's dark? For a normal person, I think they would only need to go camping once with a headlamp to understand the difference.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If I had the funds to splurge I would go for a 1080P 10" tablet (probably Samsung) that has 32GB memory or more and supports SD cards of 200GB or more that way you can load up on movies and music and a few games also and get a bluetooth keyboard so you can type easier.
I also have some battery powered speakers (small) but since I've collected a few bluetooth speakers I no longer need them.
Enertainment is a must for bugging out at least a deck of cards would be better than nothing, music and radio good. What would be great is a tablet that also has built in digital tv tuner so you can get local information. My sony portable dvd players have video input and I picked up a 12v DTV tuner so I can have tv in a vehicle in a compact (9") size screen.

Yep. Keeping your Moral up is VITAL Imo. Lose your head and shut down and you have had it

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you run the Phone Flashlight apps on a tablet too?
That would be one huge Flashlight!
Not me but this just got me wondering too.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
It's knowledge, experience, health and adaptability that are the real SHTF companions. Even the best of equipment gets lost, stolen or craps it's bed. Amazing what can be learned from the unfortunate members of society that don't have the means to purchase a $300 torch or even a AA battery.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Can you run the Phone Flashlight apps on a tablet too?
That would be one huge Flashlight!
Not me but this just got me wondering too.

If it has a camera I suppose it has the LED that can be used as a light. I doubt the LED is any brighter than that of a phone though.