Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you see DM's new Sigline? :hahaha:

The Borg one? :)

Yeah, we can work something out with the chutney. Does USPS deliver to your backwoods hick state? :nana:

Yep, there's a horse drawn carriage that passes by once a week but since it's cool outside, it shouldn't be a problem..

Wait, did you really think it sounded good? Why the sick face? :thinking:

'cause it takes me sick that yall eat all this good food every day :(

It's never too late to start (or should that be early).

This is true. Practice makes perfect..

Marylou uses my old road bike because my track bike was fixed wheel and she didn't like it ... Marylou's bike has a made to measure JRJ frame in the old Reynolds 531 tubing and is fitted with a 46/50 TA double clanger and 14 , 16 , 18 , 20 , 22 Campag gears plus Cinelli hubs and other goodies , though I had to remove the Mafak racing brakes as they slowed her down ... She is slow to build up speed as the flywheel on the generator takes a bit of getting up to speed , but nevertheless she does a good job of powering my electrics ... I am considering the option of lowering the gearing , but TA and Campag stuff is not easy to find in the Amazon due to lack of roads.

Since she is built like a horse , Marylou is therefore equivalent of 746 watts ... She is also an international Breadfruit and Yam tree climber (which means I have also mentioned foodstuffs on this post).

Luckily her twin sister Frederick (don't ask) acts as relief rider and is of similar build ... She is the local champion Pineapple planter too.

We will have to find a better way of producing electricity as when I switched the kettle on , the generator stalled and threw poor Marylou into the hen-hut ... Luckily.the chickens were unarmed.

Life goes on as usual , though Marylou now pedals with a limp.

Poor little Marylou...I have a nice gel seat (unused of course) I can send her which should at least make her a little more comfortable...you're a hard man March Brown

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I was just surfing (for EDIBLE things!!) and happened to find this and thought I'd post it.
Cool looking house and cool inside. It would be a cool place to stay in on vacation.
Not sure about the 50m to the beach claim but anyway...

Oh and just to make sure I don't get violated by Kestrel, I think I see some olive trees in the background :nana:

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p840643

Update, I just read the text on the page and apparently, there were not only olive trees but also fig trees... :sweat:
There are also many food related words on that page....I'm thinking I'm good here..

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
tried to figure out where the cottage is.. had to read all the way down to find one place i have heard of to realise its in Greece. sorry that i didnt recocnize it from "monemvassia", "asopos", "laconian gulf" or "taygetos mountain".. it took me to "pireus" and "creta" to get some info where it is.. then the "athens" made it certain.. one place they say 50m to beach.. in pictures they mention 100m.. and it looks like its more than 200m actual trek before reaching the water.

anyways.. kinda neat little cottage.

you know what word cottage reminds me of.. cottage cheese! ha! (guiri missed this foodrelated easy pick for food related stuff and reached out for the figs and olives) hahhah

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
tried to figure out where the cottage is.. had to read all the way down to find one place i have heard of to realise its in Greece. sorry that i didnt recocnize it from "monemvassia", "asopos", "laconian gulf" or "taygetos mountain".. it took me to "pireus" and "creta" to get some info where it is.. then the "athens" made it certain.. one place they say 50m to beach.. in pictures they mention 100m.. and it looks like its more than 200m actual trek before reaching the water.

anyways.. kinda neat little cottage.

you know what word cottage reminds me of.. cottage cheese! ha! (guiri missed this foodrelated easy pick for food related stuff and reached out for the figs and olives) hahhah
Nah , it's obviously Greek as in Greek Yoghurt and Greek Salad with Feta Cheese.

p.s ... If they can make Grapes and Oranges seedless , why can't they make olives seedless too (or pipless) ... All the oil would be virgin olive oil as there would be no pips to grow into trees ... The fruit would be sterile , so obviously the oil would have to be virgin olive oil ... Not a lot of people know that.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah , it's obviously Greek as in Greek Yoghurt and Greek Salad with Feta Cheese.

p.s ... If they can make Grapes and Oranges seedless , why can't they make olives seedless too (or pipless) ... All the oil would be virgin olive oil as there would be no pips to grow into trees ... The fruit would be sterile , so obviously the oil would have to be virgin olive oil ... Not a lot of people know that.

This is what I like about this thread, there's sooo much to learn.

By the way, Bulgarians make the best Yoghurt AND Feta cheese...check this out..

" Stamen Grigorov (1878–1945), a Bulgarian student of medicine in Geneva, first examined the microflora of the Bulgarian yogurt. In 1905, he described it as consisting of a spherical and a rod-like lactic acid bacteria. In 1907, the rod-like bacterium was called Lactobacillus bulgaricus (now Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus). The Russian Nobel laureate biologist Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov (also seen as Élie Metchnikoff), from the Institut Pasteur in Paris, was influenced by Grigorov's work and hypothesized that regular consumption of yogurt was responsible for the unusually long lifespans of Bulgarian peasants. Believing Lactobacillus to be essential for good health, Mechnikov worked to popularize yogurt as a foodstuff throughout Europe."

The greeks can kiss my Bulgarian butt

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
today:
carelian stew (chopped up cow meat, carrots, shallot onion (yes just one! lol) water, salt and black pepper) with mashed potatoes.. (yuuummmyy!)

how bout them mashed potatoes.. how you guys do them? me.. boil. peel. (often i peel before) add loads of butter and some whole milk (maybe even cream) and then keep mashing them with wooden dowel (consistency and therefore taste is different if you use a some electric hand blender/mixer or one of those metallic mashers that have holes in it). rarely i might add some of the boiling water into the mix instead of milk (butter goes in every time).. work on them until all is mixed up and the consistency is "right" so just slowly keep add butter and milk if too stiff stuff..

why i mention this.. as i heard that some people in other countries think that mashed potatoes is just boiled potatoes mashed into pulp.. just dry potatoe. others mash with boiling water only. others with milk or cream. etc.. so how you do yours if you do some?

----

yoghurt on my case.. nver really got into it.. althou.. every time i try it.. i end up eating all of it. and get some more too. then have a craving for yoghurt for few days.. then its over.. i can go a year without one. until someone kinda forces me to have some.. :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
One shallot? What the hell? Is that just to tease the stew?

I like my mashed taters the way you do them and I also like mine with lumps in them :)

I LOVE mashed potatoes!

As for yoghurt, I like it in all forms but none of that low fat, non fat, light junk they sell around here.
Has got to be the full fat stuff. Matter of fact, I make my own sometimes. Full of cream 'n stuff and
so damn thick you can cut it with a knife :)

Yoghurt-homemade-DSC00967-600.jpg

Yoghurt-homemade-DSC00966-600.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Nonsence, you are funny. I like how you think, it's entertaining reading your posts here and in the "best man" thread. ;)

Definitely plenty of butter and milk in mashed potatoes, so that you can sort of "whip" them up nice and smooth and creamy. I don't mind chunky mashed potatoes, but either way butter and milk is a must.

Have you tried cooking for your girl? (We really need to assign her a name, it feels undignified to just call her 'girl'. I have no idea what a stereotypical Finnish women's name is though. Off to google I go, I'll find a good one, to preserve her anonymity and protect the innocent, of course. ) Anyways, my understanding is that women like a man who can do stuff, like cook. (I'm sure march will be around soon to correct me and claim it was his bad cooking that repelled his first 6 wives or some such thing. Heheh) It sounds like you can find your way around the kitchen. Might be worth a try. ??

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Butter and milk in mash - yep and sometimes cream if we have any.

Mrs Noggin has this week off work and made me a bacon sandwich for breakfast - white crusty bread, crispy smoked bacon and a dollop of HP sauce. I love that woman.

nbp shoot me pm with your address.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I like about this thread, there's sooo much to learn.

By the way, Bulgarians make the best Yoghurt AND Feta cheese...check this out..

" Stamen Grigorov (1878–1945), a Bulgarian student of medicine in Geneva, first examined the microflora of the Bulgarian yogurt. In 1905, he described it as consisting of a spherical and a rod-like lactic acid bacteria. In 1907, the rod-like bacterium was called Lactobacillus bulgaricus (now Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus). The Russian Nobel laureate biologist Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov (also seen as Élie Metchnikoff), from the Institut Pasteur in Paris, was influenced by Grigorov's work and hypothesized that regular consumption of yogurt was responsible for the unusually long lifespans of Bulgarian peasants. Believing Lactobacillus to be essential for good health, Mechnikov worked to popularize yogurt as a foodstuff throughout Europe."

The greeks can kiss my Bulgarian butt
Well , I always believed that Yoghurt was attributed to Antonio Yog who in 1877 slipped on some milky substance which was left by a local milkman when he dropped a bottle during his delivery in downtown Schleswick-Holstein ... When it was discovered that Yog was hurt , someone decided to taste the afore-mentioned slippery substance ... It was apparently wonderful and from that day onwards they called it Yog-Hurt ... The Greek milkman went on to make his fortune from the product and from Tzatziki which he made using his Mothers home-grown Cucumbers ... Not a lot of people know that.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbp. ha. thanks. just trying to "help".

(and the girl aint finnish btw ;) she is from mainland europe to still be vague enough) and as long as she dont know she is talked of, its fine to call her the girl i suppose? -and no. she dont know of cpf. never mentioned it to her. only hobbyists know of this place. she does know i do carry flashlights. and knives and other "useful" edc gear with me and in my car.

hmm.. i dont know. a thought: if we start to call her by some other name, then i might slip and call her with that someday.. hahah. and i bet you all know what happens when you get confused and call a girl with another girls name? "so who the hell is "xxxxxxx"? " etc.. you know the drill. :D

cooking. not that gourmet cook but i can do ok. cooking for her, i need stronger signs that she is interested of me to invest doing that. :) (mental investment, not so much financial) thats the reason why i kept little distance past few months.. to keep myself from getting too hooked on her if i get no other feedback except friendship. easier to be friends if one dont see another one all the time face to face. (one covets what one sees all the time, the reason behind all work romances. :) you spend time with someone and you start to develop feelings etc.)

---

when mashing them potatoes one can choose to leave it chunky or smooth.. it just takes long time and soft potatoes to make it silkysmooth. arm aches normally afterwards. but i normally choose the texture of the mash depending what i have it with. :) -or how lazy i am- hah.

i was actually thinking about making mashed potatoes the fast way (handmixer) and then let it sit in fridge for a day.. and then fry and eat it. :)

about fried things.. fried rice.. dont think i have ever had those.. i see it mentioned in cook shows but i never made any.

----

about breads and sandwiches.. we have a butter shortage here in our country! AAAARRGGGHHH! market shelves are empty of butter! PANIC! STRESS! and i only have a 1.5pounds of it in fridge.. hope it lasts until xmas is over and thru new years.. (the people in tv say that it should ease up after new years as people dont bake as much etc) but man we were supposed to be a rich society that wouldnt have a shortage of anything.. but somehow the producers got caught with their pants down as they had sold their butter to other countries and home country usage has increased.. they just werent ready to people start liking butter again. deals were done year(s) ago and they thought that same amount would be enough this year too.. but it aint..

and i just loathe the very-butter-like-tastes-just-like-butter-but-not-really-anything-like-it margarine products.. i know i will hoard couple more packs of real butter if i see a market having them (the shops are trying to scrape butter where they can.. import it if possible.)

one is none.. two is one.. but butter is better..... i want butter.. (this is a comic of butter shortage elsewhere in nordic countries as they seem to have similar issues: http://satwcomic.com/ ...also..if you need to "understand" the stereotypical nordics and scandic nations... start the comic in beginning and go thru it all the way.. there is seed of truth in it.)

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
(and the girl aint finnish btw ;) she is from mainland europe to still be vague enough) and as long as she dont know she is talked of, its fine to call her the girl i suppose? -and no. she dont know of cpf. never mentioned it to her. only hobbyists know of this place. she does know i do carry flashlights. and knives and other "useful" edc gear with me and in my car.

hmm.. i dont know. a thought: if we start to call her by some other name, then i might slip and call her with that someday.. hahah. and i bet you all know what happens when you get confused and call a girl with another girls name? "so who the hell is "xxxxxxx"? " etc.. you know the drill. :D

cooking. not that gourmet cook but i can do ok. cooking for her, i need stronger signs that she is interested of me to invest doing that. :) (mental investment, not so much financial) thats the reason why i kept little distance past few months.. to keep myself from getting too hooked on her if i get no other feedback except friendship. easier to be friends if one dont see another one all the time face to face. (one covets what one sees all the time, the reason behind all work romances. :) you spend time with someone and you start to develop feelings etc.)

---
and i just loathe the very-butter-like-tastes-just-like-butter-but-not-really-anything-like-it margarine products.. i know i will hoard couple more packs of real butter if i see a market having them (the shops are trying to scrape butter where they can.. import it if possible.)

Let's just call her X girl for now and you're right too, you hang out too much with her and you'll star wanting more.

As for the butter, have you tried the swedish Bregott for sandwiches and cooking and the Lätt o Lagom for sandwiches? In my opinion, they have the best margarine and spreadable butter in the world.

Horrible stuff in Spain and even worse here in the US till I finally found something I liked and it only took something like 10-12 years :(

For a sammich fan, that's an eternity.

DM and Kestrel, you boys be careful now not to waste your letters...don't want to overdo it...

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
guiri: dam and kstrl, they are here just to see if we misbehave.. and then they also help to keep the thread on top. :) hahaha.

---
also as side note.. wasnt it peter sellers doing michael caine imitation? but yeah.. it sounds SO michael caine so it might be his too! hahah.

--
not sure if i tried them butterylike things.. basically because, i dont want to. i like butter! hah!

some of bregotts products i have tried while in sweden.. the other one i dont know.. likely they are VERY similar to ones we have here.

few "fake" are good here too if they are really kept ice cold.. they will do.. but leave the to room temp for short term "table time" and they are not for me anymore. like start of dinner its ok.. but 30minutes later as im scooping the rest of the sauce of my plate with bread the fakebutter is already awful in my mind.butter is the one to me.

--
i can imagine your tormet of finding edable spread stuff, finding the "one" is like finding gold!

----
and as few posts have been done without anyone mentioning it... i KNOW that some LIDL stores had mango chutney in 2006. and early this spring too! (found few recipes made with them) so i am still trying to find the time and energy to go there to browse the isles myself.. they might be there even now as i type this. hhah. stores are closed for the night but thats besides the point.

one recipe sounded cool.. mix dried breadcrumbs, minced meat, mango chutney, yoghurt, salt, pepper, and other spices you might want in your meatballs or hamburger patties.. into frying pan. (or put them 15 minutes into oven and then fry them for color and butter taste)

i believe i will be trying this one if i ever find a jar of lidls mango chutney here. :) but thats after xmas for sure in any case.

---

and calling someone "x" is like "ex".. not a a right or accurate term in this case in my mind.. hahahhah.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Butter and milk in mash - yep and sometimes cream if we have any.

Mrs Noggin has this week off work and made me a bacon sandwich for breakfast - white crusty bread, crispy smoked bacon and a dollop of HP sauce. I love that woman.

nbp shoot me pm with your address.

I need a woman like that. She sounds swell.

Will do sir. ;)

Well , I always believed that Yoghurt was attributed to Antonio Yog who in 1877 slipped on some milky substance which was left by a local milkman when he dropped a bottle during his delivery in downtown Schleswick-Holstein ... When it was discovered that Yog was hurt , someone decided to taste the afore-mentioned slippery substance ... It was apparently wonderful and from that day onwards they called it Yog-Hurt ... The Greek milkman went on to make his fortune from the product and from Tzatziki which he made using his Mothers home-grown Cucumbers ... Not a lot of people know that.

Your story doesn't add up. There's no H in yogurt. :shakehead

nbp. ha. thanks. just trying to "help".

I was gonna name her Siri. In the top 10 most popular baby girl names in Finland in 2010, and the name of the digital assistant built into the iPhone 4S. ;)

But I can see your point. And you are wise...too much seeing leads to more wanting. Why oh why must we like those girls? :ohgeez:

When the time comes, I say cook for her.

© Michael Caine

Ha! march.brown is Michael Caine! I should have known. Remember in Part I when I was asking about the different English accents and where they were from and how many and how Michael Caine and Pierce Brosnan have different accents and where they were from and all that stuff? Yeah, and then march gave some long crazy answer about there being 4000 different dialects plus Welsh and those other pretend languages and the times changing and he never answered the question. He probably couldn't without giving up his true identity since I had already brought up Michael Caine in the discussion. Ha! He's about the right age, was in the military, been divorced. It's gotta be him. Hey march, say Hi to Batman for me. :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
and calling someone "x" is like "ex".. not a a right or accurate term in this case in my mind.. hahahhah.

You know, X as in unkown factor. In this case unkown name...once you start dating her, we can get pics and a name :)