Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbp, that reminds me of my effort on the weekend;

9-grain bread, whole egg mayo, 36-month aged cheddar, triple smoked ham and sweet mustard pickle.

Yum :D

Sounds like a lot of good stuff on there :)

Hey, is Nogg still in the US of A?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, did you enjoy yourself?

Did you hear about the upcoming law suit?

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh, I forgot to tell you guys about the burger I had last Saturday at a restaurant I had never been to before. Big thick juicy patty on a tasty roll, but get this, the patty was topped with a fried egg over-easy, Gruyere cheese and garlic mayo. :drool: That was really really good. Accented with truffle fries...fries made with truffle oil. I used them to soak up the yolky goodness that dripped from my burger. Yup, I'd eat that one again. I love those types of cheeses on burgers. Bring on the bleu! :grin2:

Then Sunday I had chimichangas at a Mexican place by my house. I like that they make you three small chimis instead of a huge one. Each one is a little bigger than a Twinkie, so you can just pick 'em up and eat them with your fingers. Love me some chimis. :rock:

Then today, I made little cold-cut sliders for lunch. Mayo, spicy dijon mustard, Boar's head turkey and Havarti, and lettuce on mini pretzel rolls. I LOVE PRETZEL ROLLS!!!!!!!! If you have never had one, get some post haste. Awesome!! They make really tasty sandwiches, or else you can scoop hummus or pesto or something yummy with them.

DM51, you getting all this? Tell your lovely wife to slide some pretzel rolls through the grub slot in your cube. :nana:

Here's a quick pic for size comparison. They were so cute and little and delightful. They took longer to make than to eat, haha.

pretzell.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
nbp, that reminds me of my effort on the weekend;

9-grain bread, whole egg mayo, 36-month aged cheddar, triple smoked ham and sweet mustard pickle.

Yum :D

That sounds awesome! Have you ever had a Cuban sandwich? That'd be right up your alley. :naughty:

That's right, rub it in dude... :banghead:

Nick, did I ask you if you knew anyone in Sacramento, CA?

No you didn't...and no I don't.

No. I'm back home.

9 Grain bread sounds nice...

Welcome home! Errr..wait. :thinking:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, that burger with the eggs sounds great. Damn, now I'm hungry again.

I've gained almost all the weight I lost while not knowing I was a diabetic and prolly
abused the hell out of my body.

I'm an idiot!! :banghead:

But yall prolly knew that already... :sigh:B

By the way, just as I found someone in Sacramento, the dude that has the camera I want to buy tells me
he's in STOCKTON and he wont' drive to sacramento to meet my buddy. I wasn't paying enough for the
camera he thought (for him to drive). Damn!

Sold my wolf eyes boxer to a dude in Cardiff by the way. Just shipped it today :)

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
guiri.. did i miss it or did you mention what camera are you buying then?

-----
weird thing about butter that i always wonder..
why is it that if i keep the butter on the table in summer time.. not sitting in the direct sunlight etc. it will go all horrible and yellowy yucky mess in no time. (room temperature beeing 22-23celcious)

but in winter time the same blob of butter can be there for lot longer times.. several days and it is still ok. in the shade and room temp still beeing the same 22c.

*i know one should keep the butter in cooler.. but lazy is, lazy does, i hate the butter that is too hard to spread, and i am always in rush when i make a sandwich so i cant wait an hour for the butter to soften up. so i rather keep it on the table "at ready" (winter time.. summertime i have to chuck it into the fridge because it will go to that sickly yellow foul mess too quickly)

i cant figure it out why the butter goes bad faster in summer.. same temperature, not in sunlight, same brands of butter.

------

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno but this is the one... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n/

ANyone know anyone reliable in Philadelphia? Still trying to find one and they're all outside of NC :(

Reason I want this one nonsence is because I can put pretty much any brand lens on it with
a simple adapter and shoot manually and focus manually.

I've tried one and it's trez cool

Are you SURE the temperature is the same in the room in the winter and summer. It FEELS the same but may not be.

ALso, quit screwing around and get yourself some Swedish BREGOTT and be done with it. Always soft and real butter.
ALso, I really like the Lätt o Lagom. My favorite spread/margarine

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
me beeing bored and getting odd ideas and such.. i actually have had a thermometer few times on the plate i kept the butter in. to verify the same temperature. hahah :)

----
that camera looks good. i definately like that good size handgrip and still tiny frame. and yeah, ability to mix and match existing lenses is always good.
versatility is key.

loved that dpreview site btw.. it helped me alot when trying to figure out which camera i should/would/could choose as my present. (especially after i learned to see how their ratings go and deducted the "liked among users" points out of equation.. the pick they offer 1st hand might not be anything that super good compared to the 5th place finisher. like in everything.. one needs to "read the results and re-calculate them based by their own demands".

----

today.. peasoup with pork chops. + real rye bread.. maybe even hard crisp bread as its "supposed to be eaten with".. wasa knäckebröd. :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way peeps, my mom told me that it's around 30-40 below zero (C and F) in northern sweden :)

Nonsence, where do you live?

Hey, when I was in school in Sweden, we'd get something they call meat soup. Soup with taters and some chunks of meat, very nice stuff and I used
to love to dip my crisp bread with butter in the soup. Loved it :)

So, have you tried that swedish butter or margarine? Give it a shot. I bet you can find it in Koskenkorva land

Yeah, camera is cool and I look forward to playing around with older lenses with it :)

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: ok now that i wrote the third reply it shows my first.. this one.. weird..

west coast. (look at the map of the gulf of botnia and you see the dip in shoreline towards east, thats the town) temperatures not that bad here.. its been below -30 up north and east.. over here we maxed out at -25 or so.. now -10 or so.. and should ease little more next couple days.

we have similar margarene here i bet.. (not suprised if it sold here under different name) i know i have had it on my trips in sweden. but butter is better.

-----
as a side note off topic.. zeesus rockauto.com has increased its shipping prices in few years.. i was looking into brake parts and they started to ask 180dollars just for the s/h. pads and calibers only. didnt bother cheking how much rotors would of added on top. (it used to be lot cheaper to get them shipped before)

thought about upgrading my 60s cars front drum brakes into disc brakes. (with scarebird conversion kit) now i need to re think it.. and check what kind of prices they ask for them parts here. or forget the upgrade.

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
third time in last 14 hours that i try to reply on this post.. it allows me to write and send but nothing shows up.

okkkk.. the swedish margarene.. i know how it tastes, i have had it in trips to sweden.. and i wouldnt be suprised if they would offer very similar or exactly same product here but under different name. but.. still.. butter is better :)

----
meat soup ahuh.. i believe its broth like thing. (meat chunks, peeled potatoes, carrot chunks, salt and black pepper and water.. let it simmer and enjoy.. simple food for simple people like me. hahaha)
----

yeah its been below -30c up north and east.. but down here in west coast it maxed out on that -25c this time. now it has eased up to -4c or so.. and its supposed to stay like this for most of next week atleast. i like. (no too cold, not too warm, snow wont melt and then freeze up to make seriuosly slippery ice everywhere.. about best winter temperature it is hahah.)

and where i live: west coast.. look at the gulf of bothnia between swedes and us.. see the widest part of it.. the dip in shoreline towards east.. thats the town i live at.

---
home made sandwich buns out of the oven.. almost too hot to hold but butter melts like a charm.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nice, written explanation. Don't work for me, sorry. Of course, the name of the town would have been SOOO much easier considering I can easily search for it.

Home made bread rocks. I used to bake my own in Sweden but that was then and I don't remember how or what I did. Sucks! :(

I like real butter but to me it's a bit too heavy and I can only eat so much. Also, it tastes better when it's cold but you can't spread it.
When you CAN spread it, it doesn't taste as good :(

You know that if you ever need anything from the states, let me know.

Mind you, I doubt I can ship something to you cheaper than a company can 'cause they get better prices (don't know if that's true for the us post though)
but again, if there's anything I can do, let me know.

booky

Newly Enlightened
I usually make some pretty tasty sandwiches when i'm drunk on Sam Adams beer.

One of my favorites was a Spam, fried egg, cheddar, pickled jalapeno slices, yellow mustard and chipotle tabasco on some 9 grain bread.

So good! But then again, I get the munchies when I drink. So maybe I was just really hungry. :rolleyes:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in my professional opinion (professional eater) and considering I hate mustard and
I don't think Spam looks appealing, I'm thinking it's the munchies :)

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
spam.. shivers --yuck.. horriblll memories! during my army stint we had couple weeks of live round training up north in middle of nowhere forest.. (artillery, forward observer i think is the title in english) and i was too hurt to participate in beginning.. so i was assigned for few days to kitchen/mess duty.. helping the kitchen people making all foods for the soldiers.. breakfast lunch and dinner.. for those that werent doing the MRE thing.. some units did mre others were fed "well" hahah.. and ofcourse that "helping" meant cutting all vegetables peeling potatoes etc.. but most horrible was opening up hundreds of cans of spam.. and dropping that yucky sickly mess out of it.. and then chopping it even pieces/cubes.. yucky job! and the stench of the fat/lard sticks on the uniform! if i recall right i was 4 days in kitchen and they made us do something out of that yucky spam on two of the days. since then, i havent touched spam. it still gives me nightmares! i was actually happy to hear that i get to go back to normal duties in the end of the week.. hahah..

me beeing cryptic so only those whom really need or want to know will check the town up, backfired i see. hahah.

and there are plenty things i might want to get but those selling it are asking too much for postages. (and its hard to believe that it would cost 170dollars to ship the brake calibers etc via usps. i think they want to use some fedex etc) if i recall right they asked 35 dollars for just the springs and maintenance set for drumbrakes.. and thru ebay someone offered to send the same for 19dollars.. and i believe when the package would arrive here it would say 7.90$ on the sticker.. (same thing has happened with some of the nfl-jerseys i bought from states.)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell, I'm not THAT interested and again, my problem is reading comprehension so I had no idea about what you were describing.

ANyway, here's the way shipping works. You have two options basically, US Mail which by the way sucks and it may not get there
and if it doesn't, it'll be a pain in the *** to get your money back and tracking/tracing sucks, OR,
Fedex, UPS and so on, but, they usually cost more, AND, there is a customs brokerage fee which YOU pay.
The Post has that built in as they have their own customs department. That's where the difference is.

HOWEVER, if these companies don't want to ship regular post and you want something or want to check it out,
do this. Contact the seller and ask him how much the SHIPPING weight is and the DIMENSIONS of the package
and let me know and I'll ask my local post office how much to ship it.

Also, if I ship, I'll declare whatever value you want and label it gift. HOWEVER, keep also in mind the cost
to ship it to ME which in the US is usually not very high depending on the company.

For low cost items, this is pointless but for more expensive stuff OR, stuff that you can't find over there
this can help and I'll be happy to help.

Now, another thing is that the Post is much more sensitive to weight of packages and they charge you
pretty much by the gram so a heavy item would be expensive. I just sent my Wolf Eyes Boxer to england
at 3pounds of weight for $25.

Break calipers would be much heavier wouldn't they?

Maybe you should do like the Flintstones and break with your feet? I'm just sayin'

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, he don't wanna do that over USPS...

Nonsence, keep in mind that whatever price they quote you on fedex or ups, WILL more than likely incur another
fee for the customs broker which would be 50 bucks and since they won't fiddle with the claimed value
there will be customs and tax on top of whatever you buy and tax I'm sure, just like in Sweden is very high.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah.. death and taxes. gotta pay the customs fee and taxes for the shipping charges too! that sucks. i get it, if i pay duties etc from the item but both item and s/h price total.. and they run about 17-25%.. so if they ask 170 dollars for shipping.. so just the shipping actually will cost me over 200$. seriously nuts! (if item or items including their s/h stickers stay under something like 70$ i dont have to pay any taxes or duties of the items.. so that somehow also has become my aesthetic limit for each edc item i carry.. 70 or under. hahah.)

yeah. the shipping inside the usa seems to be often either free or under 8 dollars.. but overseas they have seriously pumped up prices especially on slightlu heavier items.

im used to that shipping FROM here to overseas is expensive, but now.. it seems its not that bad anymore.. 30 kilos max weight (65 pounds or so) to usa about 162 dollars!
and yeah the 170dollar sh charge of rockauto.com was only for brakepads and calibers (around 20 pounds i belive and that would cost me about 75 dollars to ship). weird. its is like they have traded places in few years.

-----
hey food related thing to add right in middle of random rambling and ranting.. had carelian stew and mashed potatoes. you know to throw dem mods off course. hahah.
and had bad tasting banana.. too "flour" like.. made me thirsty as it felt like it clinged inside my mouth.. (reminded me of some other fruit that is bananalike but isnt banana but more "food" like thing.. cant recall its name now..

------

i will try to see what kind of prices do they offer over here over the counter. sometimes they suprise positively. (got plenty of time before i must decide.. its heart of winter
now.. and the car is only for summer time.. so it will be 2 months atleast before i can think of going out and under it to tinker with it, as the snow has melted away.) was gonna upgrade them drums into discs if it would of been around 400-500dollars total.. but adapter itself is about 240$ (with taxes) the brake parts them selves were like 30dollars or so but shippin price just kills it.

small things one cant get from here or get them shipped here are the ones which are good deals.. (most things one can get if one spends time shopping around, google is fiendish friend sometimes) one place that used to have neat trinkets and doodads for sale, countycomm.com btu they didnt send overseas.. not sure if they have changed policy since.

---
more food things. i wish we would have those milk cans/jugs i saw and drank when in america.. those half gallon or something see thru plastic jugs.. wide mouth.. total awesome feeling gulping milk from one to ones thirst. (yeah i think milk is great drink to quench thirst) it felt dirty and awesome at the same time to gulp from one of those straight out of the nozzle/spout.. hahahah. (not a thing i would do if there are other people whom might take milk out of the can after me.. but if im alone.. and i know i will finish it.. i might drink it straight out of the cart.. (not when i eat something.. then i use a mug of some sort.. but as drinking for thirst ..straight out of carton is decadently cool sometimes.

and yea i drink alot of milk. (1-2 liters a day)

----
the town = Pori.

----

having toblerone chokolate atm.