Buy a 1 crazy light or 3 smaller ones

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys looking for some opinions I own 13 lights, but I'm looking to pick up maybe 1 light that's $250range or 3 smaller-mid size lights, what would some of you members think? Decisions... anybody got any recommendation for lights around that budget? I've been looking at some acebeam/fenix/olight. Thanks guys.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
I recently got the LR40R as I thought the flood with throw would be satisfying. oh, and it is, but, with already owning the x80gt I prefer to carry over the LR40R, I bought a small thrower to carry with it to have equal power in throw to the LR40R overall, and 3 times the lumens overall. I strongly recommend the Fitorch little fatty, whatever it's called, it is on sale at some sites for 40 dollars 3000 lumens, 26350 battery (unique). the Fenix LR40R is fantastic for touch over 250. but the new Fenix line of lights is great in totality. Acebeam is coming out with a new k30 called the K30gt, which will be phenomenal. the little Acebeam m50 is fascinating, maybe the brightest budget keychain light ever put into production. 19 dollars. I own an Acebeam L30 which I recommend against getting. water can easily get in the port and it has glitched out several times probably due to the charging not grounding properly. the T27 is a good bet though. Fenix PD36R is my next interest. probably shooting for the Skylumen version with an xhp50.2 LED.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Complete your crazy big light collection first, then work your way down to medium size, and then finally, small lights.

I went two and a half years with no new lights, then this summer, I bought the Imalent R90TS, Imalent MS18 and the Acebeam K75. Only after those, did I order a 3 x XHP50.2 47s MMU-X3.

Priorities!

ven

Flashaholic
I always go with what i think i will use the most...........That way i can justify the light! Big guns are great , wow, fun, but i find its the smaller ones i grab and pocket. Everyone is different though, so for $250, i would be wanting something very impressive in performance, or an EDC type light i would use daily.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I suppose it depends upon where you live and play, and primarily what you plan to use the light/s for. Also which lights are already in your barn. Personally, most of my lights rarely get used. I have big lights, little lights, flooders and throwers. Other than my key-chain light, and the one on my night stand, for the most part they just sit.

If I were to spend $250 on a light, I'd get a piece of jewelry - an EDC with trits. Maybe a reylight with a nichia 219 from reylight dot net

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had $250 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy an HDS.
Sadly, you won't want to buy anything else once you've used one.
P

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I suppose it depends upon where you live and play, and primarily what you plan to use the light/s for. Also which lights are already in your barn. Personally, most of my lights rarely get used. I have big lights, little lights, flooders and throwers. Other than my key-chain light, and the one on my night stand, for the most part they just sit.

If I were to spend $250 on a light, I'd get a piece of jewelry - an EDC with trits. Maybe a reylight with a nichia 219 from reylight dot net
i own
-Fenix TK35ue (1,800 Lumen)
-Fenix PD35
-Fenix TK51
-Fenix TK75 (2,900 Lumen)
-Jetbeam SRA40
-Olight SR MINI INTIMIDATOR (2,800 Lumen)
-Olight M2T warrior
-Olight R50 pro seeker LE
-Olight x7 marauder
-Sunwayman D40A
-Thrunite TC20
-Thrunite TN40s
-Thrunite Catapult V6
-Thrunite TN30 (2016)
And finally and old nitecore p16 that no longer works. I had 3 nitecore lights That went out within the first month or two. Returned the two and got a refund. Never again will I purchase a nitecore things SUCK. Sorry nitecore fans but different strokes for different folks

thinking about some bigger ACEBEAM I'm spending around $400-$450 so I may get two throwers and a Fenix ld30

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own ... ... ... ... thinking about some bigger ACEBEAM I'm spending around $400-$450 so I may get two throwers and a Fenix ld30
X65 or X65 Mini is what you should look into. Superbly tempered power throw beam profile and performance.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
X65 or X65 Mini is what you should look into. Superbly tempered power throw beam profile and performance.
ordered the x65 mini and the k30-gt. Can't wait to receive them. That x65 mini will kill my Thrunite TN40S

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct. TN40s: 4450 lumens, 1151 meters throw. Factory equipped with four XP-L emitters.

TN40s modified with four XHP35 emitters: 8700 lumens, 1414 meters throw. 100mm head diameter.

X65 Mini factory equipped with 5 x XHP35 emitters: 12,000 lumens, 1403 meters throw. 108mm head diameter.

The TN40s has four larger reflector wells, but the centers of the wells are located closer to the center of the head, thus causing lots of overlap for a portion of each reflector well.

The X65 has five smaller reflector wells, but the centers of four of the wells are located further away from the center of the head, thus providing for less overlap of four of the wells, but lots of overlap for the fifth center well.

Net result with both lights, with both lights equipped with XHP35 emitters: Almost the same throw, but more lumens from one extra emitter and 8mm more head diameter.

For a long time, I came close to grabbing the modified TN40s with four XHP35 emitters, but when the X65 came out, I very excitedly jumped on it immediately, and then I got my second one soon after.

I am still thinking, after a few years, about grabbing a pre-owned XHP35 modified TN40s, just for historical milestone reason.

When you get your X65 Mini, please post back with your observations.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I think I am confused because the size of the light doesn't necessarily correlate to the price. Do you mean something like "should I buy one 250 dollar light, or should I buy two 125 dollar lights?" That would make more sense. I have 30 dollar lights that are a foot long and 300 dollar lights that are 5" long. Asking should you buy a 250 dollar light or multiple smaller ones is sort of like asking should I buy a 50,000 dollar car or should I buy two blue ones?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the size of the light doesn't necessarily correlate to the price. ...
I am not the original poster, but, in this case, just to keep things simple, let us figure that the original posters question is: Buy one light that is $250, or three lights that are $83 each, and that the three lights that are $83 each will not be big/large, and the one $250 light will not be small. I think we can figure this, because the original poster did mention that the three lights will be "smaller" and also, that the three lights will be "mid size".

So, what we have in the original post is:

Buy one, big, and/or bigger than mid size light, at $250, or:

Three, smaller mid size lights, at around/or about $83 each.

I think the original poster has supplied enough information for us to figure out what his question is. :)

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. What I meant by 3 smaller lights or 1 large light is like an Acebeam x65 mini vs Fenix pd35, ld30, olight baton series etc. I ended up going with two larger lights. Still waiting on them, took a while to ship out cause of all the cyber Monday stuff. Thank you all for the info. Although i do own a small collection I'm still learning about all the different LED emitters, capabilities, functionality, etc. -blglov

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I am not the original poster, but, in this case, just to keep things simple, let us figure that the original posters question is: Buy one light that is $250, or three lights that are $83 each, and that the three lights that are $83 each will not be big/large, and the one $250 light will not be small. I think we can figure this, because the original poster did mention that the three lights will be "smaller" and also, that the three lights will be "mid size".

So, what we have in the original post is:

Buy one, big, and/or bigger than mid size light, at $250, or:

Three, smaller mid size lights, at around/or about $83 each.

I think the original poster has supplied enough information for us to figure out what his question is. :)
Thank you RICHBUFF for the back up there. Didn't think it was confusing.