Help me pick out a titanium flashlight, or 3

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I think it's time for a titanium light, since most of my flashlight wants & needs are getting fulfilled. I looked at the checklist, but I don't have an extremely narrow focus, at this point.

Looking for something medium sized, not keychain. I like glossy. Maybe something in the 500 to 1000 lumen range.

Price is not a big issue, but not looking for a $600 piece either. Dual fuel is ok, but Li-ion capable for sure. I'm into brands that are well built and reliable, not looking for an el cheapo budget light. Not much into charge ports.

I just started looking some up on search engines, and seeing some that I've never heard of. Will start looking up some reviews, but thought I'd see what you all like, and what is standing the test of time and reliability.

I'm kinda eyeballing the Convoy T4, and possibly the T3, but open to anything. So many emitter choices. Lemme know what ya'll like.

I think a couple of nice titanium lights would go well with my Buck 560.

DSC_2306AAcr.JPG

ScottsoSmith

Newly Enlightened
6CB87B31-0A43-4723-AD5C-AA4DAFAC4799.jpeg
I've been real happy with this recently acquired Eagtac D3C. It runs on a single CR123 or a single 16340. Plenty of Lumens for EDC. I chose the Luminus SST20 R9 high CRI 4000K emitter. It's about 350 Lumens OTF and has terrific color rendering and tint.

The cool white choices will get you over 500 Lumens OTF.

Illumination Gear sells these, and they are great to deal with. They are running 15% through the end of the month.

One note of caution regarding 16340s. The battery tube doesn't have any length to spare, making some 16340s too long.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 54556I've been real happy with this recently acquired Eagtac D3C. It runs on a single CR123 or a single 16340. Plenty of Lumens for EDC. I chose the Luminus SST20 R9 high CRI 4000K emitter. It's about 350 Lumens OTF and has terrific color rendering and tint.

The cool white choices will get you over 500 Lumens OTF.

Illumination Gear sells these, and they are great to deal with. They are running 15% through the end of the month.

One note of caution regarding 16340s. The battery tube doesn't have any length to spare, making some 16340s too long.
I prefer aluminum lights, so I have several of the D25Cs (the Al version), including one with that SST-20 LED, which I use daily. They're very cool lights, and I'm sure the D3C is as well.

IG is the best flashlight distributor I've ever worked with in my life - seriously. Tod goes above and beyond, which he proved yet again just last month.

FYI: Regarding the cells, I've been using very short, but good performing Nitecore protected 16340s in my D25Cs for quite a while with good results. I recently posted some basic test results on those cells (NL166 & NL169) in the 'flashlight electronics' section, if you're interested.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions and pics, folks. I will check out the EagTacs. They were mentioned in one of the articles that I looked up, so I was wondering about them. I checked out the IG website too, so I'm glad to know that I can order them from a US supplier. I'll order one while the 15% sale is still going on.

I do still like the Convoys too. Does anyone know if there are any US suppliers of them? Everywhere I look it seems that they're coming from China, such as Neals Gadgets. That sure complicates things if something happens and an item has to be returned. Time and $$.

After my bad experiences with Imalent and banggood, I prefer US suppliers. Where do you all buy your Convoys from?

Last edited:

crushin

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but one of the more popular options would be a McGizmo. There is a section on the site that will tell you everything that you need to know. This is his website: https://www.mcgizmo.com/Flashlights/

McGizmo is a premium light and the quality is excellent. I personally have a Mule, which is a great AA pocket titanium light with the best looking tint I've ever seen.

Good luck in your search,
Martin

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions and pics, folks. I will check out the EagTacs. They were mentioned in one of the articles that I looked up, so I was wondering about them. I checked out the IG website too, so I'm glad to know that I can order them from a US supplier. I'll order one while the 15% sale is still going on.

I do still like the Convoys too. Does anyone know if there are any US suppliers of them? Everywhere I look it seems that they're coming from China, such as Neals Gadgets. That sure complicates things if something happens and an item has to be returned. Time and $$.

After my bad experiences with Imalent and banggood, I prefer US suppliers. Where do you all buy your Convoys from?
I always buy my convoys directly from them on AliExpress. Their store is on there. Their shipping is fast. I usually have my light in about six or seven days. There have never been any problems and they've always been good about asking any questions for adjusting or changing my order. Like choosing different emitters or drivers.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Before you do business w/ IG, you might find this of interest:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but one of the more popular options would be a McGizmo.
Thanks, I did run onto those in my searches, but they seem a bit expensive for a pocket light. They do look nice, but are more than what I'm wanting to pay at the moment.

I always buy my convoys directly from them on AliExpress. Their store is on there. Their shipping is fast. I usually have my light in about six or seven days. There have never been any problems and they've always been good about asking any questions for adjusting or changing my order. Like choosing different emitters or drivers.
Thanks vicv. That's good to know. Their website is kind of confusing though. Seems like they offer the same model 4 or 5 different times at different prices, unless they're the different emitters, but they seem to have the emitter selections on each listing. I gotta figure out the site when I have a little more time. I'm thinking of getting a Convoy, and the EagTac for the smaller one.

Before you do business w/ IG, you might find this of interest:
Wow, thanks for sharing. That really is superb customer service, as in Gene Malkoff level. Thanks for the battery info too. I've had good luck with Nitecore cells also.

Do you guys find the EagTacs to be pretty rugged and durable? I didn't notice what the warranty period is. Which emitter do you like best? I usually go for max lumens, because I don't really mind cool tints, but I'm thinking of going one step down from the coolest, like maybe the Luminus SFT40 5000K, or the Cree XPL Hi Neutral. Sometimes the warmer tints start looking a little too yellow to me. I'd like to see a comparison of the different emitters / tints. I have a hard time making a decision when there are so many, haha.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I did run onto those in my searches, but they seem a bit expensive for a pocket light. They do look nice, but are more than what I'm wanting to pay at the moment.

Thanks vicv. That's good to know. Their website is kind of confusing though. Seems like they offer the same model 4 or 5 different times at different prices, unless they're the different emitters, but they seem to have the emitter selections on each listing. I gotta figure out the site when I have a little more time. I'm thinking of getting a Convoy, and the EagTac for the smaller one.

Wow, thanks for sharing. That really is superb customer service, as in Gene Malkoff level. Thanks for the battery info too. I've had good luck with Nitecore cells also.

Do you guys find the EagTacs to be pretty rugged and durable? I didn't notice what the warranty period is. Which emitter do you like best? I usually go for max lumens, because I don't really mind cool tints, but I'm thinking of going one step down from the coolest, like maybe the Luminus SFT40 5000K, or the Cree XPL Hi Neutral. Sometimes the warmer tints start looking a little too yellow to me. I'd like to see a comparison of the different emitters / tints. I have a hard time making a decision when there are so many, haha.
Yes. Their store can be confusing. They do have multiple emitter options and drivers and included call or not, all over the place in different listings. Usually if I am unable to find what I want, I will click on the closest one, and then click on ask seller a question. They usually get back to you within 24 hours you can ask for different admitters or drivers are included cells and he will usually send you a link to what you want.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's all subjective. I have ET D25 series(C&A) lights with 4 different LEDs (it was a learning experiment, or at least that's how I justified buying them - before I realized how much I liked them;-) The one that gets used by far the most after the dust has settled is the SST20 4000K, in both an A and a C. I expected them to be just a bit too warm for my taste (they were the warmest things I had bought up until then). I was wrong. They're great for me, and I use them every day.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I vote for Convoy T3. Excellent machining and a clip can be attached. Good choice of high CRI emitters from the factory. Easy to program and mod.
I have a Titanium T3.
For a good one that is probably the best bargain out there right now in Ti lights, very difficult to beat the T3.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Have had on-going issues with a Convoy M2 that never arrived. At this point, it has clearly been lost or stolen in transit. Convoy's owner and AliExpress in general have been zero help in getting the situation rectified. I even ordered two more times from them in the hope that my M2 would arrive. Literally all of the lights from those later two orders have arrived. Ordered the Convoy M2 on November 5th. Ordered a Convoy C8 on December 8th. My C8 arrived two days ago.

Contacted them again. Asked for a refund. Got the same old very polite, "Just sit around and wait until it arrives." Or until my chance to get a refund before a certain date expires. Even the owner of Convoy said I probably deserve a refund. Did he actually do anything about it though? No.

AliExpress and Convoy are fine to buy from when everything goes right. Something goes wrong? Expect very polite though completely worthless customer service. I'm done with both of them. Let Convoy's owner know it in no uncertain terms.