Cabelas Alaskan Guide Light

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
I used two protected cells the extra length and the springs worked. If I remember correctly the original cells and built in jack fit pretty tight length wise to begin with.
Did you leave in place the top "retainer piece" that screws in or did you have to remove it? It has a small plastic insert sleeve that necks it down just a bit. I'm wondering in the protected cells will fit with it in place.

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
Did you leave in place the top "retainer piece" that screws in or did you have to remove it? It has a small plastic insert sleeve that necks it down just a bit. I'm wondering in the protected cells will fit with it in place.
37034da855043463c51d499e109ed8e5.jpg

Stainz

Enlightened
Cabelas did use decent sources for some of their 'Alaskan Guide' knives - like the made in USA Buck 110 folder and 192 fixed blade, both with silicon nitride coated S30V upgrade knife steel that Buck only used (then) in the A.G. series. I mention this because logically, they likely used a decent flashlight maker... else, it's just a Chinese copy of a rechargeable interpretation of a Surefire Invictus or CombatLight! (TIC) If you could find the maker, they might know what will work.

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
I used two protected cells the extra length and the springs worked. If I remember correctly the original cells and built in jack fit pretty tight length wise to begin with.
I popped in two standard (protected) 18650s today at batteries plus but couldn't get the clicky to work properly. I had to twist the cap to turn the light on and cycle between modes. And, it was glitchy. The tech suggested we order in a couple of "tech grade" 18650s that don't have the nipples on the top. He thinks we're just a tad bit too long add the tech version batteries should give us about a 1/4 inch more clearance.

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
Well no luck with the tech style 18650 batteries. Last ditch effort is to have the batteries plus guys try to rebuild the battery pack using the new 18650 cells acc the original components of the rechargeable battery pack. It's a long shot but maybe it will work. The guys st BP are willing to give it a shot so we'll see.

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
Texascop, I tried using two standard 18650s like you said but the light wouldn't work properly. They only way I could get it to cycle on and through the power modes was by twisting the clicky end off and on. Even then, it didn't work properly.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
I know this is old but I've picked up one of these at an estate sale for next to nothing. And it has the charger. I can get a faint light from it. Im charging it now. It came with the instructions rubber banded around it but they're are very poor in explaining how it operates. It's kind of cool. It would be a lot better if I can get it to operate.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
I've got my estate sale one working mostly. I took the battery module out . Sliced open the wrapped unit and removed the charge module including the metal straps that went down the sides. I folded them in to the charge module and used IT as a spacer. Works ok but the clicky switch doesn't . It WILL work if I twist/tighten the switch down. I'm trying to think of something better to fab/use as a spacer? Any ideas?