Can anyone suggest a small (keyring) knife that locks closed and open?

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Can anyone suggest a small (keyring) knife that locks closed and open?

Title says it all.

My bank account is not overflowing but if its justified I will find the cash as usual. :whistle:

basill

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have a Spyderco dragonfly on my keyring, very sharp and a usefull and hopefully inoffensive tool.
Locks open and it does cam and stay in closed position nicely, do you want something that locks closed??

Cheers,

B

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Only one I can think of is the Kershaw Chive. It uses spring opening and has a little slide lock to hold it closed.

<looks for it>

It's 2 7/8" or 75mm long closed 13/16" or 24mm at its widest and 1/4" or 7mm thick NOT including the pocket clip. It has a hole centered approx 3/8" or 8mm from the end with the point when closed and off the centerline quite a bit but it hangs straight down from it.

It's fairly heavy, substantially built and uses frame lock.

I have BIG hands and find small knives more apt to hurt me than help me. If you were here in the states I would send it to you. I'm afraid sending it to Brisbane would cost me too much.

Last edited:

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Hi,
I have a Spyderco dragonfly on my keyring, very sharp and a usefull and hopefully inoffensive tool.
Locks open and it does cam and stay in closed position nicely, do you want something that locks closed??

Cheers,

B

Sure do...

I had a CRKT KISS that kept opening in my pocket. It might be overkill and I'm sure other knives may have tighter springs to stop this from happening. I just can't seem to find a small knife that locks closed as well as open.

Hmmm... :thinking:

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
lockes closed? I have the Spyderco Ladybug in my keyring, it has a lock back when opened, no worrys that ir would open when closed

kubolaw

Enlightened
Hey, I asked almost this same question a while back :)

I ended up with the Benchmite, and it has been a good purchase. I have even given a few away as gifts and all the recipients have appreciated the "locked" closed state. The Benchmite has since been replaced with the Benchmite II (see discussion here), but the basic mechanism is the same.

John

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Only one I can think of is the Kershaw Chive. It uses spring opening and has a little slide lock to hold it closed.

<looks for it>

It's 2 7/8" or 75mm long closed 13/16" or 24mm at its widest and 1/4" or 7mm thick NOT including the pocket clip. It has a hole centered approx 3/8" or 8mm from the end with the point when closed and off the centerline quite a bit but it hangs straight down from it.

It's fairly heavy, substantially built and uses frame lock.

I have BIG hands and find small knives more apt to hurt me than help me. If you were here in the states I would send it to you. I'm afraid sending it to Brisbane would cost me too much.

Thanks for the offer anyway... :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Aw heck, somebody is doing something VERY NICE for me so the least I can do is find out what it would cost and if not too bad, it's yours!

It appears that if I send it First Class International it won't cost all that much at all.

Send me a PM with where to send it!

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Class act, PBJS. Always pass it on.

The Benchmites are very fine little knives. I recommend them highly when you need a small carry.

paulr

Flashaholic
I like my Spyderco Jester with its matching Photon II.
http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44631

Edit: Hmm, that's a serrated one, I have (and prefer) the plain edge version. Can they have discontinued the plain edge?? There's a similar model called the Ladybug which is also ok but I don't like it quite as much as the Jester.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

nbp

Flashaholic
I often carry my Gerber Ridge. It doesn't lock closed, but I've never had it open in my pocket. Its super slim and can be used as a money clip as well. I forget I even have it. It does have a hole for a keyring, or you can clip it to your pocket. Only about 20-25 bucks and its tough as nails. And it's a Gerber.

Here's a link if you want to see it:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gerber+ridge&noImage=0

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I often carry my Gerber Ridge. It doesn't lock closed, but I've never had it open in my pocket. Its super slim and can be used as a money clip as well. I forget I even have it. It does have a hole for a keyring, or you can clip it to your pocket. Only about 20-25 bucks and its tough as nails. And it's a Gerber.

Here's a link if you want to see it.

Thanks for the great suggestion. I really did like that knife, I purchased it in satin from a gun show and after about six months it did open in my pocket a few times. I tried to tighten the hex nut but then it left the knife a little too hard to open. (There is a little teflon washer inside that I think may have perished? :faint: )

Interesting idea...

Last edited:

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Someone on EDCF is trying to sell a hartsook for $20
if you don't jump on it when the items go back up for sale, I will. ;)

gorn

Enlightened
I have a few of the Benchmade Benchmites, both auto and manual. They are great little knives. The lock is very good in both the closed and open position. I couldn't imagine one of them opening in a pocket.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second this suggestion. I have one and it is a great little edc-able knife. Assisted opening, framelock, and a sliding lock to keep it from opening in a pocket or pack.