Canada to go to all zero emission passenger vehicles by 2035

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you not paying attention? :ohgeez:

Are you not aware the price for a 69 big block Chevelle is already 50 to 70k? :broke: There's no telling how much they'll be in 2035. 🙀

Yes, and sometimes a broken clock is good, but only twice a day for a second. 🕰️

Some guys = Manly Men, and they know exactly what their freedoms are.

That's called tyranny.

Nope!

:confused: What were you attempting to convey? :yellowlaugh:

Granted. There was a time when manpower was cheap. Didn't that cease to be the case about 125 years ago?

Yes, of course, but don't you think it's foolish to weaken the economies of the cleanest countries in the world? L@@King at the statistics of the most polluted countries the USA and Canada aren't even on the list. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1135356/most-polluted-countries-in-the-world/

Going all-electric is not possible. There isn't a supply for that much demand. You're correct about the amount of pollution in other countries.

Cities are no friend to electric cars. Too many charging cables - not enough charging ports. Supply and demand.

And some things are more important than your ability to feel good about yourself. See? I can play that silly game too.

People who speak out about the issues concerning EVs are not doing so because they're selfish. They're just following the science.
Those that refer to themselves as manly men are probably compensating for some type of weakness.

Could not care less how expensive the car is. That is the price that you pay for wanting to be different.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but that problem has been corrected. Tesla entirely deserved the lawsuit.

I'm aware vehicles always put a parasitic drain on the battery. This might increase the rate the battery drains slightly over the theoretical self-discharge rate. It won't be anywhere near 5% overnight. More like a few percent extra per month.
Well, believe what you want, A well respected car magazine did measuring, unless you can come up with other measurements you can link us to, it is noting but your opinion, if i understand correctly do not own one, so you can not even talk from experience.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those that refer to themselves as manly men are probably compensating for some type of weakness.

Could not care less how expensive the car is. That is the price that you pay for wanting to be different.
ACtually no, they do not, but you seem to be overly aggressive, that reads as self inflicted inferiority complex. a constant need to put someone down to feel better about yourself, and your choices.
NOw a 60 years old car cost 50-70k, the older it gets the more it costs, it is called an investment, your Ev will worth nothing in 15 years, no one will even remember it in 60 years.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, believe what you want, A well respected car magazine did measuring, unless you can come up with other measurements you can link us to, it is noting but your opinion, if i understand correctly do not own one, so you can not even talk from experience.
One car, one article. Did they measure self-discharge across many makes and models of EVs? If EV self-discharge in general was that bad, don't you think this is something the EV detractors would have rubbed in our face by now?

I knew a guy who owned a Tesla from one of my consulting jobs. He didn't say anything about high self-discharge. He has an engineering background. He certainly would have noticed it.

I did a few searches on the topic. Generally something like 5% to 8% a month comes up. The highest I've seen is 1% per day, but that's only when the battery is fully charged. Lithium batteries self-discharge a lot during the first 24 hours if fully charged. The self-discharge rate decreases dramatically with SOC. At 80% SOC it's a fraction of what it is at 100%. EV manufacturers even recommend keeping the battery at no more than 80% unless you plan to drive it right after you recharge it fully.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
when power goes out and these vehicles are being charged do they backfeed into the system? I've seen commercials where some of these vehicles work like generators. If one is charging, power goes out, linemen comes to hook service back up, owner isn't paying attention, lineman gets burned. Serious question and we never get answers to that. Anyone that owns one know the answer?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can agree to that, Ebikes are awesome, I got a mid drive kit this summer for my MTB, and i love it, was not hard to install at all. the only downside i see, is when your battery dies, pedaling is harder, the motor creates some drag. but battery is removable, range is great, you can pedal with the motor and it extends the range, you can always have a spare in a backpack.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
when power goes out and these vehicles are being charged do they backfeed into the system? I've seen commercials where some of these vehicles work like generators. If one is charging, power goes out, linemen comes to hook service back up, owner isn't paying attention, lineman gets burned. Serious question and we never get answers to that. Anyone that owns one know the answer?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably need to have some means to disconnect from the grid before the vehicle will power your home in a blackout. This is the same thing as battery-backed solar. No disconnect switch, no power during a blackout.

If they don't set it up like this, it's lawsuit city for the EV manufacturers.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can agree to that, Ebikes are awesome, I got a mid drive kit this summer for my MTB, and i love it, was not hard to install at all. the only downside i see, is when your battery dies, pedaling is harder, the motor creates some drag. but battery is removable, range is great, you can pedal with the motor and it extends the range, you can always have a spare in a backpack.
Ya I bought a premade for my wife. Loved it so much I bought a middrive kit for my fat tire bike. Bbshd and a 52v 17ah battery. I get over 45 miles on it if I'm pedaling. Geared to climb beyond tire traction. Yet will still go 34mph on throttle. And programmed the motor to always turn at 70 rpm when pedaling. So my cadence is always the same and my gears are just for speed

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably need to have some means to disconnect from the grid before the vehicle will power your home in a blackout. This is the same thing as battery-backed solar. No disconnect switch, no power during a blackout.

If they don't set it up like this, it's lawsuit city for the EV manufacturers.
No, I mean if a vehicle is being charged will it backfeed through the charger into the system when the power goes out if it's not on a smart charger. I actually found some answers on Google and yes…… they can. Man that is kind of scary.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Ya I bought a premade for my wife. Loved it so much I bought a middrive kit for my fat tire bike. Bbshd and a 52v 17ah battery. I get over 45 miles on it if I'm pedaling. Geared to climb beyond tire traction. Yet will still go 34mph on throttle. And programmed the motor to always turn at 70 rpm when pedaling. So my cadence is always the same and my gears are just for speed
Ebikes are great. My brother has two. The second one has over 100 miles range under real world conditions. 2.4 kW-hr battery.
I'll get an e-bike sooner or later myself.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, all these EV threads are giving me a headache.

The globalists are laughing all the way to the bank as the minions quarrel. It's easy to see from sitting atop the fence as each camp on each side squabble over details, which is exactly what the globalists want. It's a shell game. The hand is quicker than the eye and all that. Meanwhile there's things taking place that really matter.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly what i got, bafang bbshd. I picked LG cells battery.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly what i got, bafang bbshd. I picked LG cells battery.
Me too. 21700 cells. It's such a great piece of kit. I laugh at people who call it cheating or whatever. I spend roughly 10 h a week riding around. You know how much before? Zero. It gets my fat butt off the couch and doing something fun again. Can't afford a dirt bike. But I can this and can ride it everywhere

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea pretty much, those things are great all around, especially mid drives, you still have functioning gears. wheels still come off easy, unlike hub motors.
One thing i had to add is a motor bracket, so the motor does not move inside the bottom bracket, now it is solid, i highly recommend one, I got it from lunacycle. i recommend the one for full suspension bike even if you have a hard tail, those that attach to chainstay are putting too much strain on thin tubes, downtube is always much stronger

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea pretty much, those things are great all around, especially mid drives, you still have functioning gears. wheels still come off easy, unlike hub motors.
One thing i had to add is a motor bracket, so the motor does not move inside the bottom bracket, now it is solid, i highly recommend one, I got it from lunacycle. i recommend the one for full suspension bike even if you have a hard tail, those that attach to chainstay are putting too much strain on thin tubes, downtube is always much stronger
I've had good luck with mine not moving. I did put at least 300ft-lbs on the nut though. I did wrap a big trident clamp around the motor to the bottom tube too

Status
Not open for further replies.