Cell phone's camera flash LED as a light anyone?

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Or, Hopefully an optimized Star Wars saga that doesn't go down the drain...Do to over milking the sacred product cow! I have some faith in J.J. Abrams. ST: 2009-ST: into darkness were decent alternative ST stuff with faster pacing...

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Okay, you caught me...I am a gadget man! And a Flashaholic, and A camera/Vidcam nerd! I caught a lot of incidents...Car Fires, police incidents, nature, weather-Cool t-storms, and a tornado a few years back! Would like a Bigfoot, or UFO HD vid. If I captured something like that I would lock the sd card and contact the manufacturer for authentication of at least an actual unknown event.

bub

Newly Enlightened
Think I just love my small lights to much to not carry at least 1 of them with me 24/7. To use my phone would do them out of a job lol.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The phone app lights are just another option available to us. If something works...it works. Would some of us find we don't need a second light source for edc? Sure. Me? No...but I have maybe 5 phone light apps anyway...why not?

:D

After all, I have real calibrated light meters. ..AND light meter phone apps.

Etsu

Enlightened
I downloaded a flashlight app that even has an SOS and three frequencies of strobe. I never use it, though, just there in case I really need it.

Strobing an attacker with your cell-phone app may not scare him off, but it may cause him to laugh hard enough that you can escape.

Enlightened
Throw is anemic and of course the phone is more fragile than most flashlights so it switch-hits with the keychain EDC. A flashlight app adds a capability to the average smartphone that costs pretty much nothing to have available.
That's probably the biggest drawback. The phone is much more liable to be dropped and not survive the fall and in some situations that would be very bad. Even in not so life threatening situations, it would be an expensive mistake.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Oh, Thank God! I'm going to order a Tactical smartphone case with crellenated sides! Then I'll put some surefire logos all over it! Who needs other EDC stuff !!!(ps. I do!)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
That's probably the biggest drawback. The phone is much more liable to be dropped and not survive the fall and in some situations that would be very bad. Even in not so life threatening situations, it would be an expensive mistake.

It's a risk I run almost every time I use it anyway, so not that great of a concern. Much more likely to drop it talking on it than using the flashlight.

Etsu

Enlightened
If you're worried about security, don't turn on your smart-phone until you actually need it. Then, assume your location is available to any hacker that wants it. It's the cost of living with today's Internet-connected gadgets.

If you're really paranoid, remove the battery from your cell phone if you're concerned about hackers or eavesdroppers. Your phone is never really off until it doesn't have power; a hacker may have installed a bug that just makes it look like your phone is off when you shut it down.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
LG L9's occasionally annoying auto-lighting, auto-flash-focus- assist. If in auto mode, it automatically trys to illuminate a target if the camera gets activated.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
"Save a Smartphone for telephony/ entertainment duties...Use a Flashlight !!! Cause that why we're all here on CPF!!!! Keep EDC-ING!!!"

wjv

Enlightened
I have a flashlight app for my LG-G2 phone.

I've only used it 2-3 times. A home, going up/down the stairs when I was wearing my PJs and didn't have a flashlight on me (no pockets)

It's flood, and bright, but I'd rather not use my cell phone as a flashlight.

Illum

Flashaholic
I use it mostly in the restaurant where people won't do a double take when I have to pull out my duty light to read the menu [surefire L4]. Why do some restaurants dim their lights till its almost completely dark then use a super fancy font on their menus? :anyone:

Latest posts