Changing LED Tint With Filters

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any one have a filter recommendation for those 5mm leds with a blue hotspot. Would love to put a decent filter on all the headlamps I have

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my filter pack two weeks ago, but haven't had time to do anything with it yet (big review in the works). Anyways, here's my 2 cents:

You might get better color rendition by substracting the high color peak, but I doubt that really raises the CRI, at least not by much. It definitely will not add to the spectrum so, even though the light might look warmer or more neutral, you will not perceive colors out of the LED's spectrum much better; only those colors that interfere with the part of the spectrum you have filtered out.

In the end, if the user is more satisfied with the results then it's worth it and I will definitely try it out the second I have some time.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any one have a filter recommendation for those 5mm leds with a blue hotspot. Would love to put a decent filter on all the headlamps I have

Try one of the light amber colors. I used one with a 88% transmission rate (******* Amber or something like that).

A good test is just to shine your light on a soup can with red, white and blue in the label. Then use the amber filter and see if white still looks white (or better than before) and if the colors look truer. When you now take away the filter you will instantly see the improvement.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
After several hours of playing around with these things. I find the 763 Wheat is a good compromise and works well with many of my lights from a neutral cree all the way to a 5mm nichia with a bluish hotspot. Of course with more tinkering I could find a better fitted filter for each light. But I find this filter offers a good universal compromise of better color rendition (not the best just better) without sacrificing to much brightness.

Of course this is just my opinion but might be helpful for someone just looking for a filter and not play around with the whole sample book. I know many like different shades of amber, but it just put to much red/brown light out there for my liking.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that in the Lee Filter pack (as opposed to the Rosco pack) that they have more diffusion filters. A couple of them are particularly interesting...1/16 and 1/8 diffusion. The 1/16 is so mild that you can put it on an aspheric light and if softens it but still keeps the emitter image (not that you would want to do this with an aspheric). With the 1/8 you no longer see the emitter image but you do have a softened spot on the wall.

It's just interesting to see all the permutations that one could get with diffusion.

I'll also mention for those just now ordering the Lee Filters. It's not a bad idea to get both the Designers Edition and the Numbered Edition. The numbered version may be easier if you are communicating with someone about a specific filter as was mentioned earlier in this thread. However, the designers version is much more intuitive to work with in finding the appropriate color since the colors are arranged more like you would expect to find them in a color spectrum.

Last edited:

vincevoxbox

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of these filters ?

or could someone tell me what would be the ideal colour filter to make my Mag and tiablo A9 with the Cree led installed look more like the colour of a halogen bulb ?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

or could someone tell me what would be the ideal colour filter to make my Mag and tiablo A9 with the Cree led installed look more like the colour of a halogen bulb ?

I couldn't find a distributor in Canada, so I just headed to the biggest camera store in town and they had plenty.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lee Filters is a UK company. You probably need something in the amber range but that's the beauty of the sample filters...you can try them all!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since everyone on here has multiple flashlights and presumably a filter pack as well here is an interesting light experiment.

Tape a red, blue, and green filter over 3 lights (one each of course). Prop up a white piece of cardboard or paper on your desktop as a background and stand an Eneloop (or anything really) about an inch in front of that white background. Turn on all of the flashlights and aim them all at the Eneloop. So you will have a spot of red, green, and blue all coming together.

Where they all come together behind the Eneloop will be white. Any area where they don't overlap at all will either be blue, green, or red. There will also be 3 shadows and they will be cyan, yellow, and magenta. If you position the lights just right you will also have some areas with just green, some with just blue and some with just red (just is behind the Eneloop where only one color gets through).

You will have 6 colors in all from just 3 light. Try moving your hand just in front of the white paper as well for a more dynamic effect...you will get the same shadow effect of yellow, cyan, and magenta. You might even be surprised to see that green and red makes yellow!

For anyone reading this who doesn't have your filter pack yet just use 3 clear drinking glasses and some food dye ($3 from any grocery store). Put some blue dye in one glass, red in another glass, and green in the 3rd glass and position each flashlight behind each glass for the same effect.

It's fun...what can I say!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be fun way to teach kids about light, and would be an excellent compliment to using a prism to split light into it's basic components. Nice idea.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since everyone on here has multiple flashlights and presumably a filter pack as well here is an interesting light experiment.

Tape a red, blue, and green filter over 3 lights (one each of course). Prop up a white piece of cardboard or paper on your desktop as a background and stand an Eneloop (or anything really) about an inch in front of that white background. Turn on all of the flashlights and aim them all at the Eneloop. So you will have a spot of red, green, and blue all coming together.

Where they all come together behind the Eneloop will be white. Any area where they don't overlap at all will either be blue, green, or red. There will also be 3 shadows and they will be cyan, yellow, and magenta. If you position the lights just right you will also have some areas with just green, some with just blue and some with just red (just is behind the Eneloop where only one color gets through).

You will have 6 colors in all from just 3 light. Try moving your hand just in front of the white paper as well for a more dynamic effect...you will get the same shadow effect of yellow, cyan, and magenta. You might even be surprised to see that green and red makes yellow!

For anyone reading this who doesn't have your filter pack yet just use 3 clear drinking glasses and some food dye ($3 from any grocery store). Put some blue dye in one glass, red in another glass, and green in the 3rd glass and position each flashlight behind each glass for the same effect.

It's fun...what can I say!

Gcbryan,
Do you have reference names and numbers for the Red, Green, and Blue filters from the sampler pack?
I would like to try this using three 4 sevens Preon lights. I have R5 and S2 to compare.

I have another interesting experiment you and I can try. Find the best position for a camera and use tripod. Then take Photo using all three lights on together. then take three seperate photos of each light on by itself, and see if you use overlay photo technology if it comes close to all three picture.
Thanks
GL

That would be fun way to teach kids about light, and would be an excellent compliment to using a prism to split light into it's basic components. Nice idea.
+1 :thumbsup:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gcbryan,
Do you have reference names and numbers for the Red, Green, and Blue filters from the sampler pack?
I would like to try this using three 4 sevens Preon lights. I have R5 and S2 to compare.

I have another interesting experiment you and I can try. Find the best position for a camera and use tripod. Then take Photo using all three lights on together. then take three seperate photos of each light on by itself, and see if you use overlay photo technology if it comes close to all three picture.
Thanks
GL

+1 :thumbsup:

It's not all that crucial which red, green and blue is used...go for the darkest but I used #3202 Full Blue,#42 Deep Salmon, and #91 Primary Green. I just used these for the deepest color that I could find.

The photo experiment is interesting but I don't have the software for that. If you do it let me know how it works out.

atlashomeric

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new to the forum but have been looking around them for awhile. I'm glad that there exist such insight in lighting on the web. I thought I'd chime in on this thread and just say that most people overlook color temp when looking into either flashlights, bike lights, etc. I think that lighting color can really make the difference in many situations. CRI plays a role in distinguishing the difference between rocks, ruts, or shadows. I am an avid outdoorsman and have found that a flashlight or headlamp with the correct CCT can make the experience that much more enjoyable. I usually try to look into 5500-6000K range. I found some good info featured in this blog.

Link removed. Links in first posts are generally not approved, especially when link is to a dealer blog with a link to their store

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy atlashomeric, and welcome to CPF,
Yes, the general public doesn't pay much attention (yet) to the color temp of their flashlights, but I think you will find that around CPF most folks take the tint of their LED lights VERY seriously.

Some folks will search out the best tint bins to find an LED with the color they like, while some of us simply add a filter. Some mainstream manufacturers are even beginning to offer lights with "high CRI" LEDs, so things are looking up.

In any case, I hope you enjoy your time here on CPF.

atlashomeric

Newly Enlightened
Howdy atlashomeric, and welcome to CPF,
Yes, the general public doesn't pay much attention (yet) to the color temp of their flashlights, but I think you will find that around CPF most folks take the tint of their LED lights VERY seriously.

Some folks will search out the best tint bins to find an LED with the color they like, while some of us simply add a filter. Some mainstream manufacturers are even beginning to offer lights with "high CRI" LEDs, so things are looking up.

In any case, I hope you enjoy your time here on CPF.

Thanks Derek,
Yeah I'm just curious where you get your filters, and in that case where you go to first to search LEDs. DigiKey, Mouser?

Thanks,

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go:
In the US you have at least 2 choices for filters:
http://www.rosco.com/us/products/lighting.cfm (scroll to the bottom left of page)

or

http://www.shop.leefiltersusa.com/Designer-Swatch-Book-SWB.htm

In Europe:
http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/contact/

To search for LEDs, you will need to do some research. You will need to go to the Cree website and educate yourself on how they classify their LEDs by tint bin.
http://www.cree.com/

Then when you are ready to order, go here:
http://www.cutter.com.au/

There is probably a place on the CPF forum where they discuss specific LEDs and such, maybe in the electronics area, so get a cup of coffee and look around.

Have fun.