Changing LED Tint With Filters

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!
Did you just place it over or is it glued down?

A 4 times increase in lux, very impressive!
The dAY,
This was just on a whim I had. Basically I used a Rounded setting punch use for installing eyelets on tarps. I precut a small square, used the setting punch to make the square dished, Then I used a 5/32" hole punch and knocked the center out. Then I trimmed the square into round. And just placed it over the GITD rubber. I did not glue or anything as of yet, as this was just a test. I am very pleased with these priliminary results. It gives me a much more useable amount of lumens on low. Because this light is totally flood, no gains were noticed on high due to the lights design of the GITD insert not being optically shaped for the XP-E emitter. Please feel free to offer any suggestions to make this a more permanent solution. I am in the process of setting up some beam shots, and will post the results when they are done.
Thanks
GL

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
GL, I've got to hand it to you, that is certainly an impressive use of the Lee Filter Swatch Book. I'm looking forward to the beam shots.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
GL, I've got to hand it to you, that is certainly an impressive use of the Lee Filter Swatch Book. I'm looking forward to the beam shots.
Here are two recent wall shots. I will try to get some outdoor shots soon.
First a Freehand shot with the Preon0's distance to wall ~6":

. . . Click to Enlarge

Second a controlled shot with the Preon0's distance to wall 10":

. . . Click to Enlarge

GL

Last edited:

sspc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Derek for sharing this great information. I just ordered the Lee filters and can't wait to ungreen my Eagletac D25LC2

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, big thanks to Derek!

The best and easiest way to make your favorite light even better by giving it your favorite tint!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to hear that CPF members are having success with these filters. I hope you'all will post before and after photos.

It's interesting to me that the Philips LED light bulb is basically a bunch of blue-white LEDs that are being filtered with several yellow panels:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007C7IGUU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I've got an interesting experiment in the works. As most of you know, I'm a big believer in the power of using these filters as an easy and inexpensive method for changing the tint of almost any flashlight's LED to any color you like, however, I keep hearing about these neat new HiCRI LEDs and I felt it was important to see for myself what all the fuss was about.

So, when the opportunity arose recently to have my NovaTac 120P modded with a Nichia 219 NVSL 4500k LED (CRI 92), I jumped on it. Most of the previous HiCRI LEDs were in the 3000k color temp range, which is way to red/yellow for me, but this new 4500K HiCRI LED has me quite intrigued and I'm very interested to see how my light looks when I get it back.

Keep in mind, I had previously filtered the SSC LED in the NovaTac 120P with a rose tinted filter to get a VERY white tint, so mainly I'm interested to see if the HiCRI has much of an effect on the color reproduction compared to the original filtered SSC LED.

There is another thread here which shows the tint of a very similar LED (Nichia 119 NVSL):
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-119-beamshots

If my light comes out looking like that, then I'll be a happy camper. I did take shots of my light's beam on a color chart with the original SSC LED, both unfiltered and filtered, before I sent it off for the mod, and I'll take a photo of the same color chart when I get the light back with the new Nichia 219 HiCRI 4500k LED. I'll post the results here :).

Of course filtering is MUCH easier than sending the light off for modding, and you get to see the results INSTANTLY instead of having to wait for weeks. And even if you do the mod yourself, unless you're able to pick an exact tint bin, you'll always have to contend with the "LED tint lottery".

In any case, I'm very interested to get my first HiCRI LED light and compare it with my filtered lights. What fun!

Harry999

Enlightened
Looking forward to see the results of that experiment, Derek Dean. I have become a big fan of HCRI lights and drop ins.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek,
Thats really good news. I think you will be very pleased. I think there will be more lumens for you to enjoy with a little less loss.
GL

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting to me that the Philips LED light bulb is basically a bunch of blue-white LEDs that are being filtered with several yellow panels:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ambien.../dp/B007C7IGUU

Well filtering is not exactly what they are doing. Those are phosphor impregnated which is actually converting blue to other wavelengths not simply filtering out the undesirable to reach an ideal tint. There is a significant difference there.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well filtering is not exactly what they are doing. Those are phosphor impregnated which is actually converting blue to other wavelengths not simply filtering out the undesirable to reach an ideal tint. There is a significant difference there.

Interesting... phosphorous filters... any chance they make those in sheets?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy saabluster,
Oh, that's VERY cool. Thanks for pointing out the difference!

nutcracker, thanks for the link.

That is pretty neat stuff, although the closest I found to what I'd be interested in was 4000k with 80 CRI, or 5000k with 70 CRI. I imagine used in a flashlight this would provide a super flat flood. Hmmmm.......

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! It does seems like it would only provide for a flood filter, though. I've been looking into making my own flood filter adaptors and I'll definitely try one of those when I get there.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! It does seems like it would only provide for a flood filter, though. I've been looking into making my own flood filter adaptors and I'll definitely try one of those when I get there.
The Lee Swatch book has a pretty good selection of diffusion filters. I have tried several of them with great success. My only gripe is the Swatch book filters are only 1.5" wide, but knowing about that Chromalit solves that problem, Thanks Saabluster.
GL

Harold_B

Enlightened
Perhaps the difference between filters and the remote phosphors was a little understated? I noticed the remote phosphors being referred to as "phosphor filters" and that there is interest in using them as a secondary means of changing the color temperature. Unless the Chromalit is specifically formulated to downconvert a cool white then it's not going to work that way. The literature does (and all of the demos I have had with the product) require a blue LED.

There's this as a secondary reference on optimizing the Chromalit product: http://www.intematix.com/uploads/files/intematix_mixing_chamber_design_for_chromalit.pdf

The basic difference is that filters remove a part of the spectrum to change to color temperature; phosphors absorb a specific wavelength and downconvert that to another wavelength.

och

Newly Enlightened
These intematix filters are garbage IMO. I bought one to try it out, and it works as far as changing color goes, but it also obscures most of the light - judging just by looks alone about 70% of light is lost.