Chinese Boyle Hunter Copy

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

$35 Bananas to my Door ( Australian Republic Credits )
Steel is 55/50 HRC 55HRC file BITES & 50HRC file skates ! Supposedly D2 steel .
Factory edge failed @ 50 slices of rope / Yeah ... FUBAR in a major way !
80 Grit regrind ( wet stone grinder - knife sharpener ) returned @ 450 .
I felt the 17 deg edge begin a roll around 300 slices . Was a wet day , so maybe the paper was getting a little touchy feely ( absorbing moisture ) ?
Still . for a $35 banana knife ... It did rather well .

The leather sheath is a bit of a slop fit , so you may wish to use some filler ...... I did !
No buyers remorse on this one . Just wish the blade had been harder !

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Cheap D2, instead of the quality older (more expensive) D2.
Honestly, I'm surprised the blade didn't snap in half on you during testing.

yearnslow

Enlightened
I'd rather have a frontiersman, or a Blackjack. But I'm just a Guy that's been using blades for 45 years!
There are some good Chinese brands, but in the main, the best knives I've owned, and used, are usually USA made, or Japanese made.
The steel is incidental, as most steel will cut better than just iron, the difference is in the heat treatment, Buck proved that years ago.
Knives are intended to be primarily tools /utensils, and maybe, just maybe, self defence, although there are a myriad of options with either.
I carry a self defence knife, the steel to me is secondary. The construction and reliability is paramount, which is why I buy what some would consider overly expensive items.
The biggest problem with knives, generally, is that most people who buy them are possessed with a romanticised vision of what they actually are, and what they are intended to do. 90% of the knives on the market are 'Bling', harsh but true. It's become like a lot of other things that are at the mercy of the marketing companies mantra, 'product diversification'.
Of course, collecting knives just because they are literally art forms, as some are, is fine. I just get tired of 'new ways' of doing old things.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my first knife when I was 7 years old .. So 50+ years for me ..
And just in case some Folks Dont Get It !

I buy knives to test them ! Got an axe to grind ? ........ Why not grind it some where else ?
& 450 on the rope is a very decent result . Especially for a cheap knife .

Yes yes ! A knife is supposed to cut things ! ( If it cuts (?) , it works ) Everything else is subjective !

As for Opinion ... Opinion is worth what ? Exactly ... Lets say it's worth $100 ! & since everyone has an opinion (?)
Lets divide opinion by everyone that has one !
$100 divided by Opinion ( 8,105,468,872 = current world pop ) ... Yeah , it's not worth much !
Even if you overvalued opinion , it's still worth next to nothing !

Last edited: