• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

CLOSED WTS: X60vn - 7500L Thrower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTS: X60vn - The 2013 Big Deal

Wow the new X60 is much improved!
Will go into details later as I get a chance to dissect one.

Mike Sloan

Enlightened

Wow the new X60 is much improved!
Will go into details later as I get a chance to dissect one.

You read my mind....interestes
in what the tweaks are. I bet they put an "off position" on the rotary switch....and no 5 min step down;)

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened

This is like watching crack heads standing in a circle around a dealer, or sharks around a raft. Did you get any info on the intensity of the better cells RDfronty? Because let's face it that is what really matters.

I have noticed the same thing with some of my more modified lights about the amount of light with different batteries even though they are regulated and the Vf of the led is lower than the supply voltage of the battery pack. I will attempt to explain this, unlike your normal source batteries have internal resistance and are part of the circuitry, and the lower that internal resistance and the higher the capacity the better the supplied voltage will be.

If you have lower internal resistance cells it will help lower the overall resistance of the circuit and therefore help in several ways like power losses from heat, because there will be less heat in the cell because of lower resistance. It will ultimately make the light more efficient. This is almost the same as removing a high resistance protection circuit or coating on the outside of the battery carrier.

Remember the original run of the TN31? With this application since every battery is in series therefore with every cell the resistance is added. This is why it annoys me that more and more manufacturers are going to having the supply voltage much higher than the required Vf of the led. Not only does it increase resistance, but it also reduces efficiency, something that is being doubly made obvious when you modify the light to provide extra current.

Can someone please just design a light that will have a lot of cells in parallel and a lot of leds in parallel? That would make the quality of the battery almost null as each added battery will cut the Rt and add to the overall performance rather than hinder it. Ok that is my rant and explanation sorry Vin if this is undesired, just reply and I will remove it. Something else that you should pay attention to is after a cell has been used and recharged a lot it will build up higher internal resistance and you will be able to measure the drop in lumen output.

If you want to test your batteries just get a current meter and place it in series with a moderate resistor and the connect the + to the - of your cell and measure the resistance drop and then compare the difference in internal resistance. Can one of you guys who had both the low IR cells and these Supbeam cells do that to let us know the actual benefits of these expensive low IR cells?

Mike Sloan

Enlightened

What "expensive" low IR cells are you referring to? Both the Samsung 20r's and Panny PF's can be had for around $8/ea.

You make a valid point....IR will be additive in series.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can someone please just design a light that will have a lot of cells in parallel and a lot of leds in parallel? That would make the quality of the battery almost null as each added battery will cut the Rt and add to the overall performance rather than hinder it.

You mean like the Nitecore TM11, TM15, TM26? The TM line runs on 4x18650 in parallel...I totally agree this makes much more sense. In addition to the performance aspect, it is also inherently a MUCH safer design. Closely matched cells, reverse charging, etc. are non-issues in a good parallel setup. And there is a third benefit - all the cells are the same direction, so user error is reduced also - no need to worry about reverse polarity protection. I am always careful to insert cells correctly, but why not make it as easy as possible?

langham

Enlightened

Yes like the Tiny monsters, but not quite. I would like to see 2 lithium cells in series with multiples in parallel. Like the Supbeam light, because you need a certain amount of head room on voltage to account for supplying 5A to each led. I don't remember the Vf for an XM-L2 at 6A, but it is safe to say with only 3.6V you wouldn't be able to do it.

RCantor

Enlightened

What "expensive" low IR cells are you referring to? Both the Sony and Panny PF's can be had for around $8 ea.

You make a valid point....IR will be additive in series.

Would you point me there in a PM? :) Thanks.

Mike Sloan

Enlightened

Wayne, any news on the improvements made to this version of the X60? Still easy to boost the amperage?

rdrfronty

Enlightened

This is like watching crack heads standing in a circle around a dealer, or sharks around a raft. Did you get any info on the intensity of the better cells RDfronty? Because let's face it that is what really matters.

I have noticed the same thing with some of my more modified lights about the amount of light with different batteries even though they are regulated and the Vf of the led is lower than the supply voltage of the battery pack. I will attempt to explain this, unlike your normal source batteries have internal resistance and are part of the circuitry, and the lower that internal resistance and the higher the capacity the better the supplied voltage will be.

If you have lower internal resistance cells it will help lower the overall resistance of the circuit and therefore help in several ways like power losses from heat, because there will be less heat in the cell because of lower resistance. It will ultimately make the light more efficient. This is almost the same as removing a high resistance protection circuit or coating on the outside of the battery carrier.

Remember the original run of the TN31? With this application since every battery is in series therefore with every cell the resistance is added. This is why it annoys me that more and more manufacturers are going to having the supply voltage much higher than the required Vf of the led. Not only does it increase resistance, but it also reduces efficiency, something that is being doubly made obvious when you modify the light to provide extra current.

Can someone please just design a light that will have a lot of cells in parallel and a lot of leds in parallel? That would make the quality of the battery almost null as each added battery will cut the Rt and add to the overall performance rather than hinder it. Ok that is my rant and explanation sorry Vin if this is undesired, just reply and I will remove it. Something else that you should pay attention to is after a cell has been used and recharged a lot it will build up higher internal resistance and you will be able to measure the drop in lumen output.

If you want to test your batteries just get a current meter and place it in series with a moderate resistor and the connect the + to the - of your cell and measure the resistance drop and then compare the difference in internal resistance. Can one of you guys who had both the low IR cells and these Supbeam cells do that to let us know the actual benefits of these expensive low IR cells?
I didn't check the intensity with the 20R's. They did offer a 550 Lumen increase or roughly a 8.6% increase. A 8.6% increase in lux should put the X60vn at about 469Kcd.
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward upgrading to these cells. 6980 lumens and 469Kcd sounds pretty nice. I don't really need the extra runtime the stock cells offer.

Halicon

Newly Enlightened

Vinh, it has to be possible to hook me up with the upgraded version over the old one if it's that much better! *cry*
At least the inner workings and reflector, lol

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Vinh, it has to be possible to hook me up with the upgraded version over the old one if it's that much better! *cry*
At least the inner workings and reflector, lol

I wouldnt have the parts to make a swap for yah....

So far here are the fixes that I see:
New reflector that center all LEDs for better focus
No more rattles
Charging magnet stronger than how I remembered it

Halicon

Newly Enlightened

Well, I like the spill on the X60 to be honest and none of the other changes really bothers me. It doesn't rattle with battery thermal tape around the batteries, which is really recommended if you experience rattle.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Well, I like the spill on the X60 to be honest and none of the other changes really bothers me. It doesn't rattle with battery thermal tape around the batteries, which is really recommended if you experience rattle.

The V1 rattles in the head which I correct the issue already.

Mike Sloan

Enlightened

How are the drivers for the new X60's? Are you able to boost the current any higher?
i wonder if the new reflector will be a noticeable improvement?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

How are the drivers for the new X60's? Are you able to boost the current any higher?
i wonder if the new reflector will be a noticeable improvement?

Still testing. Give me some time. But so far its freaking bright.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

4.6A = 1500 LED Lumen

1500*5 = 7500 LED Lumen

Status
Not open for further replies.