• The Collimator version

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • The Reflector version

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The use of Collimator (optic) Lens' in stock lights are few and far between.

~ If a light you're planning to buy had an option, of either buying it with a Collimator Lens or a Reflector,
which would you choose and why?

...For the sake of discussion, the chassis would be different design, so its not swappable.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics allow you to control light better in a smaller package and they do it more efficiently. No contest.

That might explain why I have $65 worth of optics in the house right now.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Optics allow you to control light better in a smaller package and they do it more eficiently. No contest.

That might explain why I have $65 worth of optics in the house right now.

x2... the Lowes task force has no business being as bright as it is (3 volts from alkalines, Cree P4) a big part of that is its Fraen optic which seems to be very efficient. I don't think there's any coincidence that the brightest P60 module uses an optic instead of a reflector. Not a big fan of Lenser, but their latest models look very impressive. With 3AAA cells they should not be "that" bright, but with their refracting opics they are turning some heads.

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my D10 and really wished that it had the optic of my E1B. I can always add some cheap, simple diffuser to the E1B (although it's got enough spill for everything I've ever used it for) like tape or a bottle cap but there is nothing that I can add to the D10 to make it throw as far as the E1B. I know that they make many reflectored super-throwers but I'd dare to bet that none of them have a 1" dia. head like the SF E-series TIR.........................

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO optics give a better beam- large flood, small hotspot. I find this much more useful than the larger hotspot, smaller spill offered from the same size reflector.

JBorneu

Enlightened
I think a reflector is much beter for general use. I usually don't need super throw but I do need a wide, bright beam a lot. There arn't a lot of small lights with optics that give you a wide, bright beam, so I voted for reflector.

However, it is clear that if you want super throw optics are the way to go, and the new Led-Lensers prove that you can get focusing optics as well so it's kinda a "what do you want to use the light for" and "do any of the lights have adjustable focus" question.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's done right an optic is superior. Unfortunately it's rarely done right and reflectors are easier to modify to the users liking. Plus there's something to be said for "old School" I vote reflector (just to be different).

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
...a big part of that is its Fraen optic...

I voted "reflector", but I'll admit I've got a liking for the Fraen. I have one in an old Arc LSH, and I really like the way it distributes the light.

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my D10 and really wished that it had the optic of my E1B.

Yuck. I've also tried a Surefire KX2, which I believe has the same optic as the E1B. For some reason, it just doesn't work for me. The spot is way too tight, especially for a light with that much output. It's nearly useless indoors - too much tunnel vision. If I'm going outside, I'd rather have a big hotwire. I'd like my KX2 ten times better if it had a reflector in it similar to the KL4 or the incandescent ExE series lights.

I think a reflector is much better for general use... There aren't a lot of small lights with optics that give you a wide, bright beam...

And it doesn't have to be Mule wide. A twenty degree angle would probably keep me happy. Honestly, my absolute favorite beam distribution is that from a Surefire U2 (the old LuxV version). The combination of the LuxV with that big, deep reflector is simply perfect in my opinion.

Oh, I do prefer my reflectors textured.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't vote because I use both :nana:

+

Many of us use both, double check question in OP.
icon2.gif

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
For me,
I prefer the collimator for bike light use, it gives a better beam profile for the lights I have setup. I also like some reflectors better than collimators BUT it depends on the design.

I don't believe this is a simple yes/no question as it depends on use and how the manufacturer implements their reflector.

I think it would be great to have a flashlight offered with both options (as we get with smooth/orange peel reflectors). this would solve many issues that a lot of us have imho.

Cheers
Mark

Kerch

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see more flashlights with adjustable optics.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflectors provide spot and spill. Sometimes the spill is more useful than the spot.

Some collimators like Fraen also provide a spot and spill. The spill while not that bright is wide and very useful close up. Also the transition from spot to spill is very smooth.

Most collimators just provide a spot. OK for distance but close up requires waving the torch around.

My preference is
1) Fraen collimator
2) Reflector
3) Cree collimator
Did not vote.

-----

Reflectors put 50% of the light in the spot & 50% in the spill.
Collimators absorb maybe 20% more light but the 80% that gets out is all in the spot. With the same beam angle a collimator's spot can be brighter than a reflector's spot.
I prefer reflector because last time I checked, collimator loses a lot of light.

jupello

Enlightened
I'd like to see more flashlights with adjustable optics.

Me too! Maybe they are just so expensive/hard to make that almost all manufacturers decide to go with the normal reflector. :duh2:

DM51

Flashaholic
Well, hello!!! Here we have a new "vs." AFAIK we haven't seen this one before on CPF.

LOL, keep it clean guys - no biting, eye-gouging or hair-pulling.