Compare and Contrast the Sofirn C01 to the Fenix E01 and similar flashlights

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Both my 5600k arrived. One on the left, the other on the right and a 5600k modded E01 in the middle.
c62e81c66a671cae72ca4eb429b79054.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats, since I prefer no hotspot, I like the one on the right best

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
So to your eye the hot spot isn't visible at all? Looks monstrous in the picture. FWIW my Vinh modded E01 and both my sofirn have no discernible hot spot to my eye as well.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm thinking the wall is semi-gloss or gloss paint, which makes it reflect to look like a giant hotspot.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking the wall is semi-gloss or gloss paint, which makes it reflect to look like a giant hotspot.

I agree. Walls tend to be more difficult for me to get a clear image without reflections. I use white printer paper with good results.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for this thread Jon.

To start the 4k C01 versus a Mag Solitaire Spectrum (warm beam).
IMG-20190601-150427.jpg

Now the 4000k versus an incan Solitaire
IMG-20190601-190829.jpg

Pretty nice tint.

A while ago I was estatic about discovering the Fenix E01 and then bummed it was discontinued. I managed to score a few before they were gone, and a couple of second hand versions that were pre-scuffed with sharpied domes for a better tint and beam. I'll be the first to admit the stock E01 beam leaves a lot to be desired. But I grew up in a time where if the light turned on and stayed on without issue....good enough. Sure the modification really improved things. But the throw of the stock was/is also a virtue in my life.

I read about the Yuji equipped C01 and having some Yuji's in some minimags and P60 modules I was fully aware of their virtues. But to join that other site or plunk down my info at sketchy Ali won't gonna happen.

Well fate shined on me like the Northern Star. That little voice said "check the WTS section" and a member had 3 stock E01's in blue and two red 4000 kelvin C01's for sale as a package. They arrived today.

Now it seems the theme of this thread was the Yuji C01 versus a stock E01. But folks mentioned heritage of the E01 lights. To me it began with the Maglite Solitaire from back when the first Bush was the US President. A whole 2 lumens. What started as the Marquis by a guy who sued a bunch of folks for copyright infringement, then made a small light for his girlfriend then had to rename it before he was sued for copyright infringement... The Maglite Solitaire.
Streamlight did a Keymate like it, Bright Star, Brinkmann, Don Kellers SigmaLite etc.
IMG-20190601-193520.jpg

L to R:
- Sigmalite 2xN cell (clicky)
- Bright Star 1aaa (clicky)
- Brinkmann 1aaa
- Streamlight Keymate 1aaa
- Maglite Solitaire.

Now those all used a light bulb. But the LED made sure the light bulb went the way of the Brontosaurus.

ARC, Peak etc ruled the night for a bit (history-wise) then the E01 became a cheap, durable little number that became the new Solitaire. Durable vampire with a really ugly beam.

My wife confiscated my purple E01 with scuffed business end and pumpkin orange LED dome. So I picked up the Fenix E05. With its price tag at twice the E01 and missing the good to the last drop vampire ability the E05 was not the new champ. E05 does not have the really ugly beam, and thanks to an optic is a good throw/flood combo. Has a lo/me/hi ability (starting out at about 8 versus E01's lucky 13 lumens) but it did not make an impact like the E01.

IMG-20190601-194031.jpg

E01, E05 and 4k C01

It looks to this user that the new champ may be the Sofirm C01. Time will tell. The C01 seems to close the door on the chief complaints of the E01. The 4000 tint version checks a lot of boxes. How will it hold up? We'll see.

Now the warm Solitaire LED aint nothing to sneeze at but it's more about brightness than runtime. Mighty fine in its own right. Great for fixing a flat, or finding a crayon under the sofa. But at the 2am nature call thing will be the time when the C01 will be the charm.

IMG-20190601-200807.jpg

From about 1 metre.

I really like the 4k version of the C01 as it's about smack-dab in between a light bulb and an early LED tint. Nice compromise of a few more lumens than the 3200 Yuji while still having a nice golden glow. A nice floody beam with a bit of a spot that melts to flood like a water color painting.

I still like my stock E01 lights, and the E05 is my 2am light. But the C01 may end up being the favorite of the 3.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the 4k version of the C01

congrats!
thanks for the great writeup, oldschool history, and photos

fwiw
Sofirn C01 = single mode light with Yuji 5mm LED (about 7 lumens for the 3200k)
Sofirn C01s = 2 mode light with SST-20 surface mount LED (about 3 lumen low, 100 lumen high for the 4000k SST-20)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I must have the Yuji'd version. With a new battery it's nowhere near 100 lumens and only has one setting. Op selling them said they were 4000 kelvin.

Ok, so the part about 4000k being a great happy medium? Forget I said that. lol
Sure 4000 is a happy medium, but it appears I don't own the 4k version afterall. Both I bought are same tint.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Nice tints on the Yuji LED. What LED is in the Fenix to which it is being compared?
The other thread said (a year ago) that production of the Yuji light was only to be 2000 pieces.
So can you get the Yuji emitter anymore? Any real point to these threads anymore?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice tints on the Yuji LED. What LED is in the Fenix to which it is being compared?
The other thread said (a year ago) that production of the Yuji light was only to be 2000 pieces.
So can you get the Yuji emitter anymore? Any real point to these threads anymore?

Yoy might be able to find a C01 on the bay or something, but they are sold out Ali.

The Fenix E01 uses a Nichia GS.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sofirn used up all their Yuji's, and the warm white version, which seemed to be more popular, is no longer available from Yuji.

Elsewhere in the flashlight community, someone identified and bought several batches of another 5mm LED that have been measured as almost identical to the Yuji's for CRI, and slightly more efficient, but with a slightly less even tint across the beam.

Sofirn hinted they might consider making another batch of the C01 when they learned about this. I'll post a note in the C01 thread here if they move forward on it, because I believe there were a fair number of people disappointed to have missed out on the opportunity.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Actually --

As much as I love the Sofirn C01 Yuji lights,
I wish they were 30° beams, rather than 60°
< sigh >

Latest posts