CREE 3x T6 3800 Lumen LED - IS THIS THING FOR REAL?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP:

I would still consider modding the Brinkman with an XM-L... I have the same light, but with an XP-E, which I'm guessing from the output is being driven at a clean 1A... The upgrade would be cheap and easy. The host is nice enough... forward quiet side clicky... replace that plastic lens with glass and replace that star with an XM-L and you would have a nice, cheap, long running, bright enough, general purpose light to play with... If you don't do it, I think I will... In fact I may just do it anyway... Awwwwww.. heck.. I just talked myself into it! :D

Shao

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
To the OP:
I would still consider modding the Brinkman with an XM-L... I have the same light, but with an XP-E, which I'm guessing from the output is being driven at a clean 1A... The upgrade would be cheap and easy. The host is nice enough... forward quiet side clicky... replace that plastic lens with glass and replace that star with an XM-L and you would have a nice, cheap, long running, bright enough, general purpose light to play with... If you don't do it, I think I will... In fact I may just do it anyway... Awwwwww.. heck.. I just talked myself into it! :D Shao
Did you see the links to the stars I found on DE posted further back in this thread?
I think most might work as a very easy drop in? Do you think those will drop right in like the one I actually bought and have (and posted the link to, but it's older technology) and with the newer ones being an exact fitting drop in?

What kind of lumens do you think I'd get from an XM-L placed into a 2-D Brinkman LED? I have the TK41 @ 800 lumens, and it has worked excellent for what I NEED it for, but I want something over 2000 lumens now, and ESPECIALLY after my Sunday night "encounter", as that was 1 huge !@#$ bear I had in my camp Sunday night :O Minimum 6-ft tall leaning against my 2500HD truck bed, probably taller if he stood straight up...

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you see the links to the stars I found on DE posted further back in this thread?
I think most might work as a very easy drop in? Do you think those will drop right in like the one I actually bought and have (and posted the link to, but it's older technology) and with the newer ones being an exact fitting drop in?

What kind of lumens do you think I'd get from an XM-L placed into a 2-D Brinkman LED? I have the TK41 @ 800 lumens, and it has worked excellent for what I NEED it for, but I want something over 2000 lumens now, and ESPECIALLY after my Sunday night "encounter", as that was 1 huge !@#$ bear I had in my camp Sunday night :O Minimum 6-ft tall leaning against my 2500HD truck bed, probably taller if he stood straight up...

A 20mm star is a 20mm star, just unscrew and desolder the old star, repaste and resolder the new star! Voila! Although @ ~1A, you're only going to get ~400 lumens if you're lucky!
The upside: with 12000mah per cell, you're looking at (in a perfect world) a theoretical 24 hour runtime @ close to 400 lumens.. wait... someone correct me if I'm wrong.. because I feel like I'm wrong... That sounds great...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do have a 3x18650s version, just look at SKU:8009 at Manafont's website.

I'm all for an an inexpensive triple Cree XM-L Flashlight, but it should be powered by at least three (3) 18650 batteries (somthing similiar to the trustfire SST-90).
Trustfire%20X6%20SST-90%20Luminus%20LED%20Flashlight%20Searchlight-3%281%29.jpg

Last edited:

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
You all are great! But I'm unfortunately experiencing information overload. I've been modding and whacking computers, motherboards, add in cards, electronics for ~20-yrs, but I'm trying to jump too quickly and over my head into Torch-Whacking®© !
And I thank all for the input and "hand-holding" as I try to sort the enormous amount of information and massive volume of equipment involved in flashlights and modding them nowadays...

I liked the looks of the HID hand-held spotlights (Like the Stanley, big bang for the buck, may get one anyways eventually), but for now, I think I'd prefer to stick with something a more portable, and that I can carry extra batteries around with me if needed and which can be used in other devices such as the 18650's, which I'm certain they will be used a lot.

I originally found this place (and I've been administrating and owning and operating internet forums/boards for ~20-Yrs) when w00t had some Brinkman 2D 3 Watt Luxeon lights on sale for like $7ea if you ordered min. Qty, 3 (I think due to a batch that had some poor solders on the star which Brinkman wanted to dump quickly & cheaply), and someone posted in the comments on that deal about how easy it was to drop in another star from DE for ~$5 and double the output of the light, resulting in about a $100 light at the time when compared to similar stock LED lights... I bought the star but never put it in, gave away a bunch of the Brinkmans un-modded as gifts to relatives and riends, and kept 2 for myself, 1 specifically to mod. Hre is the star I have, a Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-bin) ZPOWER, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445

I have more questions now as I go deeper into this, some specific to certain matters, some not, and I'll try to be as direct and to the point as I can. Just realized in my researching and looking over all the different parts and posts, I have >80 tabs open in my browser :O

1) Can anyone direct me to some of the better "Quick & Dirty" FAQ's for newbies in the world of Torch-Whacking®© ?

2) I've read some rather critical things about Mantafont here ans elsewhere, although I've had good experiences for quite a few years with DE and MANY other Asian suppliers.
Is Mantafont reliable and reputable? (Even my Trend-Micro Titanium Internet protection would not let me load the page giving a warning that it has been identified and labeled as a site associated with reported frauds ands scams)

Now, for specific questions about lights, mods, etc.

3) Regarding the Brinkman 2D 3 Watt Luxeon, would any of the below stars be better for this light than this one I already have (and a direct drop in?) - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445
I'm looking for a tight spot with a long throw, and have found some newer stars with much higher lumens than back when I got the original I intended to drop in.
I use Artic Silver thermal compound on my PC heatsinks and wonder if that is the bet to use on these flashlight for thermal paste? I've been lapping and modding heatsinks for PC CPU's for many years...

Which of these, if ANY, or ANY others you may know of which will work, and if it were you wanting the tightest spot and longest throw of the spot, would you choose that would be an easy drop in.
I can also change the reflector if needed, and if that IS needed, would appreciate direction to a better reflector for this particular light to go with a given star.

XMLAWT 1000-Lumen LED Emitter White Light Bulb (3.0~3.5V) Price: $9.40 SKU: 51989
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.51989
- Bulb type: XMLAWT-0-1A0-T60-00-0001 / - 1000-Lumen ultra bright white light output / - Working voltage: 3.0~3.5V
- Working current: 3000mA / - Aluminum plate: 20mm

XM-LT6 885LM LED Emitter 6000K White Light Bulb (3.0~3.5V) Price: $11.60 SKU: 50599 (Only 16mm, but could it be fitted in?)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50599
- Bulb type: XM-LT6 / - 885 Lumen output / - Working voltage: 3.0~3.5V
- Color: White (1D 6000K) / - Plate: 16mm

XM-LT60 1000LM LED White Light Emitter with 18mm Base (2.9~3.5V) Price: $11.90 SKU: 54704 (Again, 18mm, will it fit in the Brinkman and work?)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.54704
- Bulb type: XM-LT60 / - 280~1000 Lumen output / - Working voltage: 2.9~3.5V / - Working current: 700~3000mA
- Color: White / - Plate diameter: 18mm

4) Regarding the 3x18650 lights OR 2000+ to 3800 (preferred) lumen lights: I've found several variants (Interested in the 3800's IF they come close to that output and have a decent spot), and desire informed opinion on if they are worth what you can get them for from either DE, MantaFont or other Asian sources, and if *YOU* would buy it, and what actual lumens one could expect from these lights, and durability/life expectancy, such as:

TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5-Modes Memory LED Flashlight(3x18650) $56.90 SKU: 8009
http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/trustfire-tr3t6-triple-xml-t6-5modes-memory-led-flashlight-3x18650-p-7443
(LUMENS NOT LISTED, BUT FOUND 3800 ELSEWHERE)

• Powered by 3 x 18650 or 2 x 18650 if extension tube removed (batteries not included)

• Switch Type: Clicky / Current : 3A / Operating voltage : 8.4V-12.6V

• Switch Location: Tailcap / 5 Modes : Hi> Mid > Lo > Fast Strobe> SOS

• Mode Memory: Yes / Lens:Glass Lens / Reflector: Smooth Reflector

TrustFire X6 SST-90 5-Mode 2300-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight with Batteries Set (3*18650) $134.99 SKU: 47754
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47754
Model: X6 / Emitter BIN: SST-90 / Total Emitters: 1 / Battery Configurations: 3 x 18650 rechargeable battery (included)
Voltage Input: 8.4~12V, 12V Max. / Circuitry: Digital Regulated 6500mA Current Output
Brightness: 2300 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated) / Runtime: 1.5 hour (manufacturer rated)

SKY RAY 3xT6 3800-Lumen 3-LED 5-Mode Memory Flashlight (2*18650) $52.25 SKU: 7623 (Apparent Strobe & SOS model of below, which, in my opinion strobe would be good for blinding these !@#$ bears)
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...en-3led-5mode-memory-flashlight-218650-p-7016

SKY RAY 3xT6 3800-Lumen 3-LED Strobe-Less 3-Modes Memory Flashlight (2*18650) $52.25 SKU: 7936 (No Strobe model)
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...beless-3modes-memory-flashlight-218650-p-7338

*THANKS MUCH* in advance for your expertise, patience and understanding in lieu of my lack of knowledge ("intellectually challenged") on these subject matters. ;)

--PetaWatts

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
PetaWatts: I am hoping your last post isn't a request for other members to tell you what you should buy with your money...

After a few years in this hobby, my advice is to go with what you like and appeals to you. Don't worry about lumen ratings and all the "sales talk" that manufactures use to promote and sell their products. In this forum, you will come across many different types of people with many different types of opinions(not facts), even those with all the swish sounding "scientific" measuring equipment, these people don't have the time or money to measure enough samples of any particular model and have too many variables in their measuring techniques to make findings that can be regarded as fact. Every manufacturer has got different levels of R&D, production tolerances and quality control and the retail price of their products will reflect that. With many of the budget Asian lights, just buy with the knowledge that it works very well as a hobby light. In the end we all live in a world full of imperfections and things ultimately fail, even Surefires and Polarions. This is why CPFers do not own just ONE light, we have many. We enjoy collecting lights. Most people on this forum have a wide and varied cross section of lights, ranging from all recycled plastic discount store specials to custom made titanium encased, kevlar injected, plutonium powered light sabres and anything else in between.

I found that I stress less and and enjoy this hobby better when I take all the reviews I read here as other people's personal experiences that will differ from mine. All of us don't want to end up with a lemon, but inevitably, we do some stage or another, even with the top brands. I've spent $50 on a Surefire lamp that lasted 30secs. Often the price paid reflects the aftermarket customer service. With many of the Asian or overseas based online sellers, getting a warranty or refund can be a challenge, factor that into your purchase decisions that if the light fails, how easy/difficult will it be to get it fixed or get a refund? Bear in mind that many overseas based dealers are do not have the same consumer protection rights that many of us enjoy in the USA or Australia, but that is the cost of buying discount online rather than full retail at a local store. Sorry but there's no free lunch as businesses are there to make a profit, not become a charity.

I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as I do, taking with it the good(mostly) and the bad. Looking forward to your first review of the Trustfire, Ultrafire or Skyray barnburner you'll purchase sooner or later. Go ahead, take the plunge, in this hobby there's more to gain than to lose.

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned
I have the Skyray and it's for real! Insanely bright.

I was out of here for 3 years so I had to play catch-up. I found Selfbuilt's reviews invaluable and based quite a few buys on his reviews. Check the reviews section.

Rich

jtice

Flashaholic
So has anyone actually tested out one of these Trustfire "3800 lumen" lights yet?
Wanting to pull the trigger on a 2000+ lumen light soon, just not sure which to get.
SR90, TK70, Trustfire...

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
PetaWatts: I am hoping your last post isn't a request for other members to tell you what you should buy with your money...
Thanks for the informative posts.

What I sought in my last post, and others, was informed opinion on what those familiar with this hobby would do if it were them, as I got good input on the TK41 and am VERY happy with it's performance as one said I would not be disappointed.

Also, I have been over on BLF but not the other mentioned, and I did seem to remember somewhere some issue with the SkyRay but I've read so much I couldn't recall what/where, and that's sort of why I put out the requests for opinions here, a I figured many here frequent many different places.

I do seem to remember reading somewhere, maybe DE or somewhere, that it specifically said using 3*18650 with the CREE 3x T6 would burn it out...

And thanks for all the informed input, every little bit is bringing me SLOWLY up to speed. :)

framey

Newly Enlightened
Received my TR-3T6 today from Manafont SKU: 8009 This is my first purchase from Manafont and the postage time wasn't too bad, especially compared to DX.

I put in 3 x 18650 batteries (flaming trustfires) and there was no light. Took out the extension tube and used 2 x 18650's and got a pretty good output. Tried 3 batteries again and got a very dim light, so dim I can look directly at it. Does this sound like it can't handle 3 x 18650's and is dimming for its own protection?

I'm technically inept so I won't be solving too much by pulling it apart and working things out... any advice?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tested each 18650 cell to see if any were faulty? The light is listed as 3x18650 compatible. Was it in "lo" when you were testing it in 3x18650 config? Was they any smoke or burning smell after using it in 3 cell mode? A few years ago when I got my Dereelight 4.2-8.4v dropin and ran it in 8.4v it let out a very dim pale blue light, it ran fine in 4.2v & 6.0v but it wouldn't run in 8.4v. I trested the cells all all were working OK. So I was pretty peeved but kept using it in 4.2v only. However after using it for several weeks in 4.2v, when I tried it in 8.4v, it worked OK. I figured that maybe the electronics needed a "run-in" period before being able to be used at MAX voltage. Other than this I can't offer any other explanations at the moment.

Received my TR-3T6 today from Manafont SKU: 8009 This is my first purchase from Manafont and the postage time wasn't too bad, especially compared to DX.

I put in 3 x 18650 batteries (flaming trustfires) and there was no light. Took out the extension tube and used 2 x 18650's and got a pretty good output. Tried 3 batteries again and got a very dim light, so dim I can look directly at it. Does this sound like it can't handle 3 x 18650's and is dimming for its own protection?

I'm technically inept so I won't be solving too much by pulling it apart and working things out... any advice?

Enlightened

Hi Framey, my TR-3T6 3-cell is also coming soon, next week I guess. Can I know what is your tailcap current reading for the 2 batteries? Pls do fully charge the batteries before measuring. Hope you have a digital multimeter or something with good leads that are 10A capable. It should be ard the range of 2.5A I guess.

Also, can you please confirm if the "drop-in" in front screws to the host? You can unscrew the drop-in out right? (of course unscrew the bezel out first)

Thanks!

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I have the light from manafont. I also have the SC600 750 lumen light from Zebralight. The manafont light is WAAAAAAY brighter than the SC600. Like blow it away brighter. It is astonishing. I have had a lot of lights in my years and I pay attention to lumen ratings. I am certain that I am getting in excess of 3000 lumens out the front. It is THAT much brighter, and it will get warm pretty fast. The led mount and reflector assembly seems to be machined from a solid block of aluminum. Most of the weight of the light comes from that.

Enlightened
Bro, stop the press. These new Chinese lights are really good fun and some of the variants are built/engineered ok. In fact LED to host heatsinking is excellent and is as good as any brand light (tested by a couple of independent members).

And they might not be budget (so probably don't belong in the budget cat/forum), I paid $72 + $10 for T4 7C warm white and $16 for registered air mail. It is a 3 x 18650 150mm length shorty with 3 x 18650 and specced to be 2.5A driven per single emitter. Supposed to be very well made, it is 800g or twice as massive as the regular Sky Ray 3xT6 at 395g, which perhaps the finishing though is good for budget lights it may still be a wee bit lacking for those in the Olight camp....but the battery tube is 5mm thick at the front and 3mm thick at the back, it is way more solid than many branded lights. Somebody took comparison pictures of this and his regular TR-1200/WF-500 china host that you see in those 5 x Q5 lights, this has thickness of about 2-3X thicker. So we need to sync this understanding first and foremost. :D

These usual Sky Ray/Trustfire are about 1600 OTF as measured as engortelis. I can confirm it to be about 2000 emitter lumens with my reflected light lux measurements. Not over 3000.

BTW, try not to get those removable drop-in version without any threads. The Trustfire TR-3T6 has threads and are probably ok. Those version which are like a P60 but just bigger @ 52.7mm have a couple of DOAs reported here as well as budgetlightforum.

Last edited:

Tommu

Newly Enlightened
And they might not be budget (so probably don't belong in the budget cat/forum), I paid $72 + $10 for T4 7C warm white and $16 for registered air mail. It is a 3 x 18650 150mm length shorty with 3 x 18650 and specced to be 2.5A driven per single emitter. Supposed to be very well made, it is 800g or twice as massive as the regular Sky Ray 3xT6 at 395g, which perhaps the finishing though is good for budget lights it may still be a wee bit lacking for those in the Olight camp... :D

Are you talking about DRY 3xCREE XM-L T6 Cool White / Warm Tint 2500-Lumen 3x18650 Hi power Flashlight?

Edit: link to e-shop removed

Last edited:

Catslayer

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of these flashlights, and they are very bright but I am highly skeptical of their claim of 3800 lumens. a 35 watt HID is considerably brighter. Still, they are impressive for a small handheld flashlight. Which brings me to my question. I do not know a lot about LEDs, but their efficiency is the primary reason I want to use them for this application. I would like to use several (maybe ten or so) of these lights for fishing lights on my boat, but they need to be able to run all night, so I want to wire them into the boats electrical system, which is 12v, maybe 14v when the batteries are charging. Normally, I would probably not be charging the batteries while I am using the lights. Does anyone know how much voltage the T6 leds can handle, I would like to know if this will work before I hook one up to a deep cycle battery and fry it. Thank you for your assistance.