Dark Sucks: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
I don't own one of these bad boys yet but if a triple were to be introduced I think the head would have to be made larger with heat-sink fins. I know a Moodo triple is very hot on 'high' so much so that 'medium' was the ideal setting. But a triple given the proper design would certainly be snazzy. It does seem the fad these days.:cool: It just may not fit in your pocket as well as the smooth head would of the Alpha if it was to be made larger.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
to those asking about a triple, check out his "From my hands to yours" video on his website. seems jason has allready made a triple at the 2:42 mark.

S1LVA

Enlightened
to those asking about a triple, check out his "From my hands to yours" video on his website. seems jason has allready made a triple at the 2:42 mark.

Good catch! I will have to start an interest thread for a production run. Or email Jason today :)

S1LVA

Thunderflash

Newly Enlightened
1 22 N, 103 48 E - A place call the Lion City
I don't own one of these bad boys yet but if a triple were to be introduced I think the head would have to be made larger with heat-sink fins. I know a Moodo triple is very hot on 'high' so much so that 'medium' was the ideal setting. But a triple given the proper design would certainly be snazzy. It does seem the fad these days.:cool: It just may not fit in your pocket as well as the smooth head would of the Alpha if it was to be made larger.

+1

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to sell lights, you need to return to this concept that you prototyped over a year ago.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rbon-Fiber-bodied-Alpha&p=3957784#post3957784

Make it for a single AA battery with 14500 support with an XPG2 in it.

The single AA market is weak. There's not much decent selection for people, except for Zebralight, which shouldn't be hard to beat.
That carbon fiber light has a design that would look very good in a smaller size, and it would be easily pocketable, which is what people want.
It is a good looking light.
Put it in your "ready made" line to keep the price down.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to take this on a different path here, but i think a lighter made by jason would be a pretty cool product.

Jarodammerman

Newly Enlightened
I would love to see a light that is more compatible for edc.
As mentioned before, just about anything in 6-4 titanium would make it a must have.
High cri would be awesome, but is not a make or break for me personally.
The option for trits would be a nice feature. I also like the idea of a AA platform that has also been previously mentioned. A ti light in the AA platform would be a must have, that is IF you make such a light. :whistle:

PolygonalGuy

Newly Enlightened
AA format with Hardchrome. You already have electroless nickel so hard chrome would just be an outstanding finish.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am of the school of thought that believes the way to succeed is to look for opportunities where you can leverage your strengths. (The other school of thought is to improve on your weaknesses and I don't buy this.)

Jason has a lot of strengths. He has made his vision of a great light a reality. His lights are beautiful, have outstanding fit & finish, wonderful tint/beams, good run times and are reparable. He also shows flexibility with his vision. Jason offers the dreaded XM-L led to meet demand, outsources the Ready-Made to have more stock on hand and offers the shorty body for users who want a smaller size and can compromise on run time.

There is a lot of interest in AA (14500) and AAA (10440) formats. These take advantage of better led efficiency. I recently bought 2 AA lights – 1 with a XP-G2 and another with a Nichia 219. They are OK lights, but they are not in the same league as a Prometheus product. They are not beautiful, the fit & finish are barely acceptable and while the tints are OK, the beam profiles leave a lot to be desired. I keep one hidden in my knapsack – my Ready-Made is clipped to the outside so everyone can see it.

The other recent development is the popularity of the 18350 IMR cell. The Shorty uses this cell, but doesn't really take advantage of it. A much smaller light that took advantage of the available juice would also leverage Jason's technical strengths.

Jason has explained why he can't produce titanium lights. He has also explained why he likes the electroless nickel plating. Stick to your vision and produce a great 14500 or 18350 IMR light. Many of us will buy them.

zeppo

Newly Enlightened
Just having bought a Ready Made, I would also like to see a AA or AAA torch from Dark Sucks.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Since you're getting that fancy lathe to make (Ti!) pens, I'd love a titanium single-CR123 light with a Hi CRI Neutral Nichia 219 and a properly sized Boom reflector. In my ideal world, it would run on anything from a nearly dead primary to a fully charged RCR. Keep it as slim and light as possible while maintaining the build quality and F&F of the Alpha. Start on low around 20-30 lumens for useful EDC light and long runtime, with access to a sub-lumen moonlight mode as well as a 200-lumen Turbo (on Primary 123). Combine the best attributes of a Haiku, Mac, and HDS - build it locally California - and sell at at a somewhat-reasonable ($200-ish?) cost. Is that too much to ask?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. moonlight mode with a HCRI Nichia or warm XPG even on a small light would be good.
jason?.

Since you're getting that fancy lathe to make (Ti!) pens, I'd love a titanium single-CR123 light with a Hi CRI Neutral Nichia 219 and a properly sized Boom reflector. In my ideal world, it would run on anything from a nearly dead primary to a fully charged RCR. Keep it as slim and light as possible while maintaining the build quality and F&F of the Alpha. Start on low around 20-30 lumens for useful EDC light and long runtime, with access to a sub-lumen moonlight mode as well as a 200-lumen Turbo (on Primary 123). Combine the best attributes of a Haiku, Mac, and HDS - build it locally California - and sell at at a somewhat-reasonable ($200-ish?) cost. Is that too much to ask?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love some of the designs in your prototype and custom sections, but I can't buy ANY of them, simply because they are not available. I understand they were limited run, but perhaps you could take pre-orders, and if you get a sufficient number of orders then you could turn it into a production model. If I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a light, I don't want "good enough", so that for me rules out ready made lights. As good as they are, if I bought one of those, I'd just be thinking "but there is a better version out there..."

Alpha ICE V2, Alpha Mace, and Alpha Saber are the ones I'd go for in a minute. If you don't sell many, it is only because they aren't available.