DEFT-X OMG Strikes Back!!!

hikingman

Enlightened
I have a bunch way back. After breakfast - which includes BACON - I'll point you to some posts!

Dave

Hi FC, here they are. First a brief history: My Deft-X was the first out the door because I was willing to take an "under performing" unit, supposedly rated at 776 Kcd. It became jokingly known as Defecto-X or 'ol Defecto. My first post which was repeated in post #1532, was of a small shed blind, just showing the short-range beam character which was very greenish-yellow. I mistakenly at some point said I was using lowest setting, but it was second lowest.

Posts 1600 & 1604 I believe are first tower I shot and at first I was trying to color correct the beam, for which I was lightly taken to task. I was also way under exsposing.

Posts 1609, 1646, 1700, 1749, and 1750 are better over all, but in many instances I point out what fog and moist air do to the beam.

Post 1761 is not a beam shot, but show a custom lanyard I make for all my lights, which helps me carry them.

Hope that helps,

Dave

EDIT: I forgot to add that my unit is back for neutral-white upgrade, but Michael remeasured 'ol Defecto and said it was actually 890 something. He feels he had possibly measured mine originally with some nearly exhausted batteries. In the meantime he made other design changes to the light, which I assume will be in my upgrade.

Last edited:

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
Thanks D...

Great photos there!
How exactly did you measure those distances from the towers ?
Such an impressive light :)

I imagine I'll be getting the neutral-white upgrade as well ? Since I just recently placed my order.

Hope that BACON was good :D

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
there will be no comparison, the Deft-X will just keep going into the heavens:D

I really does... I wonder if there's any public way to confirm that our boys up in the space station can see 'em? :wave:

j452.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img802/8360/j452.jpg

hikingman

Enlightened
Thanks D...

Great photos there!
How exactly did you measure those distances from the towers ?
Such an impressive light :)

I imagine I'll be getting the neutral-white upgrade as well ? Since I just recently placed my order.

Hope that BACON was good :D

Thanks FC! I have a hiking/map program on iPad that allows me to measure distances. It helps too that the towers are more or less 1,100 feet apart.

Watch out on the neutral-white…did you specifically ask for it? Otherwise you will get the regular warmer tint.

Dave

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
Thanks FC! I have a hiking/map program on iPad that allows me to measure distances. It helps too that the towers are more or less 1,100 feet apart.

Watch out on the neutral-white…did you specifically ask for it? Otherwise you will get the regular warmer tint.

Dave

I'll email Michael about it...other than the color/tint...any other big differences between the older DEFT-X and new ones ?

Amazing shot- jsholli :thumbsup:

hikingman

Enlightened
I'll email Michael about it...other than the color/tint...any other big differences between the older DEFT-X and new ones ?

Going way back to the first ones, yes I believe there are construction differences as opposed to actual parts differences. The LED was originally "sealed" but due to an outgassing issue not so anymore. He discovered a more precise focusing technique for the wavian collar. I'm sure other proprietary changes have occurred as well. The LED changed (if not in name then of bin, etc.) and methods to alter the tint have been developed.

Now that the LED is no longer sealed it is fair to say the light is not as water "proof" as it once was, but I believe the electronics are otherwise well protected. I have used mine in the rain and won't hesitate to do so when I get it back.

Better email him quick!

Dave

BVH

Flashaholic
Not even the Maxabeam nor the Megaray Short Arcs have a beam as bright and defined as some recent pics posted of the Deft-x. Pics should reflect what the eye actually sees.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even the Maxabeam nor the Megaray Short Arcs have a beam as bright and defined as some recent pics posted of the Deft-x. Pics should reflect what the eye actually sees.

Yes, the shots look cool but could mislead people's expectations. As impressive as a true 1 million candlepower is, especially with no spill, it still doesn't come close to comparing with good short-arc lights. I can imagine that some of these beamshots could only be matched in real life by something like your old 60" Carbon Arc.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are certainly right on that, but the Maxabeam in particular is in truth just not really bright. I have seen a Gen2 model with Gen3 bulb being run at the 50W setting here in Germany and compared it with many powerful LED lights. Many of them were modded and at least one threw just as far as the Maxabeam.
The problem with the Maxabeam is that it doesn't produce enough lumens. The spill is very weak and the spot is tiny. You only really notice the power when you use it at 1000m or more. Thats when even the powerful led lights fall short. Here you can find some recent beamshots from a get-together here in Germany.
I will link some specific ones to prove my point:
Polarion PH50 (for reference)
Thrunite TN-32 (for reference)
SR-90_in_kurz_und_heftig (strongest led reflector thrower that I know of - 980klux)
the said Maxabeam @ 50W (75W-mode doesn't work) (around 3 million lux)
"Optik Scheinwerfer" (farthest throwing led spotlight in the world - around 3.5 million lux)

If you want details on any of the lights just ask me. The DEFT-X would be very similar to the "SR-90_in_kurz_und_heftig", but without the spill.
Of course I realize that a current 12 million Candlepower Maxabeam would be much more impressive, but it also only does maybe 1700 lumens. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to own one though :D.

Last edited:

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
You are certainly right on that, but the Maxabeam in particular is in truth just not really bright. I have seen a Gen2 model with Gen3 bulb being run at the 50W setting here in Germany and compared it with many powerful LED lights. Many of them were modded and at least one threw just as far as the Maxabeam.
The problem with the Maxabeam is that it doesn't produce enough lumens. The spill is very weak and the spot is tiny. You only really notice the power when you use it at 1000m or more. Thats when even the powerful led lights fall short. Here you can find some recent beamshots from a get-together here in Germany.
I will link some specific ones to prove my point:
Polarion PH50 (for reference)
Thrunite TN-32 (for reference)
SR-90_in_kurz_und_heftig (strongest led reflector thrower that I know of - 980klux)
the said Maxabeam @ 50W (75W-mode doesn't work) (around 3 million lux)
"Optik Scheinwerfer" (farthest throwing led spotlight in the world - around 3.5 million lux)

If you want details on any of the lights just ask me. The DEFT-X would be very similar to the "SR-90_in_kurz_und_heftig", but without the spill.
Of course I realize that a current 12 million Candlepower Maxabeam would be much more impressive, but it also only does maybe 1700 lumens. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to own one though :D.

Thanks for the info and links...
How do you know what Gen bulb your maxabeam has ?
Will a gen 3 bulb be brighter than gen 2 ?

BVH

Flashaholic
A Gen3 lamp has a very rounded arc chamber (where the electrode tips are), the Gen 2 and prior used a "stick" lamp - the arc chamber was just a slightly enlarged cylindrical bulge. The latest Gen3 lamp looks just like the original Gen3 but produces a higher candlepower figure. Not necessarily more Lumens. I don't know if it has a smaller arc gap and hense, a smaller light source size or what other difference there might be. My upgraded Gen3 MB with a newer Gen3 lamp produced 13 MCP whereas my original Gen3 lamp produces 12 MCP.

The rounded arc chamber creates a better angle for exiting light to hit the reflector so more light can be harnesses by the reflector. Others can probably explain more of the technical details. The Gen3 lamp could be "brighter" if the arc gap is smaller versus the Gen2 stick lamp.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

What the eye sees looks iike the DeftX pics actually.

Its a VERY tight beam, aspheric, with no spill...just like the pics. When you hit something with the beam, you see the LED projected onto the target. When you shine it straight up, etc, you see a pencil beam of light...just like the pics.

:D

BVH

Flashaholic
Someone send me a Deft-X and I'll shoot it with the Fire Foxes IV, Maxabeam and Megaray to show relative beam luminance. I'll pay for return shipping.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info and links...
How do you know what Gen bulb your maxabeam has ?
Will a gen 3 bulb be brighter than gen 2 ?

It's not my Maxabeam. It belongs to guy in the German TLF forum that I know personally. He has also done a thread on it over there. He is registered here under the name "sven_m" ("sma" in the German forum). I have used his light a get togethers like I mentionied in my last post.
You can find a lot of information on the Maxabeam and the different bulb types if you search around here for a bit. BVH has explained it quite well.

A gen3 bulb will throw (lux) much farther than a gen2 bulb. Brightness (lumens) ist not really important with this light. It's never "really" bright. Search for a post from member "Ra" on the topic of "optical arc displacement". There he explains why the round bulb works better than the old one.

Here's a picture of the Gen 2 bulb (beamshot)
Here's a picture of the Gen 3 bulb (beamshot)

A Gen3 lamp has a very rounded arc chamber (where the electrode tips are), the Gen 2 and prior used a "stick" lamp - the arc chamber was just a slightly enlarged cylindrical bulge. The latest Gen3 lamp looks just like the original Gen3 but produces a higher candlepower figure. Not necessarily more Lumens. I don't know if it has a smaller arc gap and hense, a smaller light source size or what other difference there might be. My upgraded Gen3 MB with a newer Gen3 lamp produced 13 MCP whereas my original Gen3 lamp produces 12 MCP.

The rounded arc chamber creates a better angle for exiting light to hit the reflector so more light can be harnesses by the reflector. Others can probably explain more of the technical details. The Gen3 lamp could be "brighter" if the arc gap is smaller versus the Gen2 stick lamp.

Come on - you must be at least a little bit impressed of how powerful the led throwers are which I linked to? :D

What the eye sees looks iike the DeftX pics actually.

Its a VERY tight beam, aspheric, with no spill...just like the pics. When you hit something with the beam, you see the LED projected onto the target. When you shine it straight up, etc, you see a pencil beam of light...just like the pics.

:D

I think he just meant that the pictures are a bit over-exposed. I would agree on that.

The Maxabeam makes every LED thrower look floody - its spot is tiny!

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
................Come on - you must be at least a little bit impressed of how powerful the led throwers are which I linked to? :D

Of course I am. I like LED's too! :D I've carried one since I joined in 2004. LED's have made huge leaps since I joined and I hope they continue. I'd love to have a Deft-X and would if I didn't spend all my "light" money on the heavy iron. These Spectrolab lights are very expensive to buy parts for. How about $36.00 for a ball point writing pen spring? You know, the type that go around the cartridge in push-on, push-off pens. A simple detent spring in the Trakkabeam M800. That's what they wanted!!

I think he just meant that the pictures are a bit over-exposed. I would agree on that. Yes, precisely. Many current and future members make and will make buying decisions partly on beam shots so they should not be embellished. It can make a brand new light an instant disappointment..............

hikingman

Enlightened
Someone send me a Deft-X and I'll shoot it with the Fire Foxes IV, Maxabeam and Megaray to show relative beam luminance. I'll pay for return shipping.

I'd be willing, but Michael's got it, hopefully producing a neutral white upgrade version for me. Should be soon I hope - he's had it since late November.
Dave

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, BVH :wave:

It's not my Maxabeam. It belongs to guy in the German TLF forum that I know personally. He has also done a thread on it over there. He is registered here under the name "sven_m" ("sma" in the German forum). I have used his light a get togethers like I mentionied in my last post.
You can find a lot of information on the Maxabeam and the different bulb types if you search around here for a bit. BVH has explained it quite well.

A gen3 bulb will throw (lux) much farther than a gen2 bulb. Brightness (lumens) ist not really important with this light. It's never "really" bright. Search for a post from member "Ra" on the topic of "optical arc displacement". There he explains why the round bulb works better than the old one.

Here's a picture of the Gen 2 bulb (beamshot)
Here's a picture of the Gen 3 bulb (beamshot)

Come on - you must be at least a little bit impressed of how powerful the led throwers are which I linked to? :D

I think he just meant that the pictures are a bit over-exposed. I would agree on that.

The Maxabeam makes every LED thrower look floody - its spot is tiny!

I appreciate the links to the photos of the bulbs and beamshots...
pretty impressive beam for the Gen. 3 bulb!

BVH

Flashaholic
Here's an example:

My Maxabeam Gen3 with the 1st gen3 lamp - not the very latest lamp. This tree is at 1,274 Yards from the light and was photographed from about 300 feet away. Now that I have posted the photo under CPF Reso limits, I would say that it under represents what I saw at 300 feet by about 15 to 20%

Same light, over exposed - see the stars and non existent background lighting of the sky. Again, it's now at max CPF resolution so there is some loss but it is still way over-exposed. A clue - if you see sky light and terrain profiles and stars, it's most likely way over-exposed.

Last edited:

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
Good example, BVH...thanks for that.

I'm going to ask more questions about the Maxabeam bulbs in the spotlight section so we can keep this thread on DEFT-X mode :D