Discussion thread: A2 dumb LED rings - (Onion Ring)

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
Re: A2 dumb LED rings - (Onion Ring)

Just providing a little bumpage to see what is happening on this project. It looks great and I would be in for a couple when ready. Hope all is going well, and have a merry HOHOHO!
kb

maxpower419

Newly Enlightened

I too would be in for atleast two, any updates koala?

Filip

Newly Enlightened

Aren't all (well, both, including Aviatrix) LED rings projects doomed?
But I still do hope and my interests lasts.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened

Aren't all (well, both, including Aviatrix) LED rings projects doomed?
Koala commented on Onion Ring testing back on 11/28/09. Sgt. LED made some positive comments about the test ring. Onion Rings seem to be proceeding, albeit slowly.

The Aviatrix seems to be well and truely doomed because it was an Atomic Chicken project. I have not had personal dealings with either Koala or AC, but the Jeers I recall for AC are not nice at all. OTOH, I read only good things about Koala so I remain hopeful that we will all get Onion Rings when Koala gets back into production.

Shalom,
Steve

mwaldron

Enlightened

No loss of interest here, in fact I have more A2s than ever... You can't beat the awesomeness of the A2 for the prices they're selling over at CPFMP.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of my sockets is dimmer too on low with some LED's.
With other LED's you don't ever notice it. Been having good results with some 3mm LED's. When you crank it up a bit more it goes away. You can live with it.

Or maybe add another trace?

It isn't the problem with the copper track width, it is wide enough for the 5mm LED current. I spoke to the engineers at Fairchild a couple of times and they couldn't give me a straight answer, then finally they gave me an excuse that the person who is responsible for the IC has left the company. It is slightly noticeable(LEDs driven low) might irritate some people who like their tools perfect. So please be informed.

I am going overseas for work next week so I can't do much at the moment. It will be three weeks before I get back. There is no signup list.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened

It is slightly noticeable(LEDs driven low) might irritate some people who like their tools perfect.
Yes, many of us like perfect. OTOH, if we know what we're getting up front, this "feature" doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. If we're turning the current down for minimum light, one less LED illuminated is just less light. :grin2:
I am going overseas for work next week so I can't do much at the moment. It will be three weeks before I get back. There is no signup list.
Good to know you're keeping first things first while not forgetting those of us who are looking forward to Onion Rings. Take your time. Don't stress the job or family. We have great confidence in you. :wave:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

If interest is an issue, I'm still interested. The successful production of these will probably tip me over the edge into getting an A2.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still interested, even with the weird behavior of the prototype.

Got any extra prototypes kicking around? My birthday is coming up before the end of the month. :D

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

If interest is an issue, I'm still interested. The successful production of these will probably tip me over the edge into getting an A2.

I too am still interested, will probably tip me over the edge into getting a second A2

pwatcher

Enlightened

:poke:

Just another indication of interest from an A2 enthusiast. I'd be good for 3 onion rings in snow white, warm white, and a yellow-green if available!

:whistle:

R.VanWinkle

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone done a welfare check on the Koala lately? It has been mighty quiet for a while but I reckon he still has a lot of fans out here still rootin' for him.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested in a ring, and leds in warm white, snow white, and possibly UV.

Edit: On second thought, considering the plug-and-play nature of the leds, and how inexpensive they are, I would probably be up for a full set of all the colors (including UV), all with leads and 'skirts' trimmed.

Last edited:

Tj-001

Newly Enlightened

i'm interested in two rings, one cool white and one yellow.