Do people with cheap flashlights irritate you?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey..at the bottom of ExtremeGlow's website, there's a picture of a toilet. I remember a while back in a couple of posts in this forum, there was a big disucussion on toilets and how to spell it. I don't want to resurrect the topic, but i want to know WHY the picture is there on the website...it's just out of place. Is this another fan of toilets....or should i say - toliet?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like just another place to use Extreme-Glow sheeting.

I`m sure though, I saw on one of these glow-products web sites that one company produced glow in the dark toliet seats. They had a competition to come up with the best name, all I can remember was "Nev-R-Miss" but there were loads. What ever it was called, a good idea when you think about it....

tongue.gif
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I saw on one of these glow-products web sites that one company produced glow in the dark toliet seats<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's them. Extreme glow had the competition and sells the glow in the dark toilet seats.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
That's them. Extreme glow had the competition and sells the glow in the dark toilet seats.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A society that has perfected such a dynamic thing as a glow-in-the-dark toilet seat, is yet one more example of why the U.S. is a such a world leader.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
That's why O.B.L. has vastly underestimated our capabilities
mad.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Getting back to the very non-Alien subject of this thread......... No, people with cheap flashlights don't irritate me because one flash from my EDC Asp Taclite and they run screaming with fright!

Ok, they DO irritate me, the ignorant ba*****rds!

(Just a little)

Brightnorm

supertrucker

Newly Enlightened
Sure, people with cheap flashlights irritate me....They think I'm nuts for spending $25.99 on an ARC-AAA-LE until I blind them with it, take their Mag solitares
away from them and flush them down the nearest toilet. Then they file for a "restraining" order or some such nonsense and the next thing ya know I'm at "WALLY-WORLD"
buying a Million candlepower spotlight because I have to stay a hundred feet from them and a "cool mil" is the only thing that will have them seeing spots at hundred feet.....Maybe I should lay off the "Cuervo"
and go to bed.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey:
Way up north on the slope the LED with a lithium is just now being used in the exteme temperatures of sometimes as low as -65F because anything else will not work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-65F is absolutely shocking. I assume that's the actual temp without windchill. How do people tolerate that? Can you actually walk around in that kind of cold?

Even lithiums have trouble below -40F, don't they?

Brightnorm

LightBright

Enlightened
Daniel - I would suggest anybody in Alaska consider ONLY Lithium powered flashlights like the INOVA X5, SureFires, the Walmart Legend LX if you could find one. Lithium is the only battery chemistry that can operate at those temps.
grin.gif

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
So I'm telling a relative of mine about my Xmas gifts, to which he says with much astonishment and disbelief "You got a $200 flashlight!?" (Surefire M3 with a number of goodies). I try to get him to understand that this is no ordinary flashlight and that HE NEEDS ONE SINCE HE IS AN OFFICER IN CHARGE OF THE NUKE PLANT ON A CARRIER! I'm not annoyed (kind of amazed), but I do know what I'm getting him for his birthday!!
grin.gif

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Looks like just another place to use Extreme-Glow sheeting.

I`m sure though, I saw on one of these glow-products web sites that one company produced glow in the dark toliet seats. They had a competition to come up with the best name, all I can remember was "Nev-R-Miss" but there were loads. What ever it was called, a good idea when you think about it....

tongue.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Go-in-the-Dark', surely?

Heh-heh.

Pierce.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
People with cheap flashlights don't irritate me as long as they refrain from saying things like "I can't believe you spent £90 on that, I bought this from Tescos and it only cost £1.99"

In fact cheap flashlights don't irritate me, some of them are quite interesting.
I have a couple of cheap and cheerful flashlights, and I use them as decoys so when someone says "can I borrow your flashlight" I can watch them happily wandering off without getting that sinking feeling in my stomach.
When they return with it trying to explain how exactly it got broken I don't get the urge to punch them repeatedly in the face!
Basically as with most things I think you get what you pay for and for some jobs no matter how much I like my Surefire it is not something I would take into the garden shed when I know I'm going to be wrestling around with my bike covered with oil for this the Energizer is going to be just fine.
On the same note I can't imagine LEO hanging out the side of a helicopter looking for some fugitive with a 2 dollar flashlight shaped like a frog!
Generally though I think what is considered cheap in the States and cheap in Europe are two different things when it comes to buying flashlights.
I want to come to America just so I can go wandering round Wally Mart or whatever it's called!

B@rt

Flashaholic
You shure are right about the pricing!
went to my favourite outdoorsshop the other day and checked out some flashlights. They are (trying) to sell the Sure-Fire e2 for the low low price of USD $165.-
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
-65F is absolutely shocking. I assume that's the actual temp without windchill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just measuring the temperature would become a chore when it's that cold.
Alcohol thermometers (the kind with the red crap in the bulb) would freeze out at around -20°, mercury becomes a solid metal at -40°, and a Galileo thermometer would explode within minutes of being set outside.

That leaves you with two options: the thermocouple or thermopile, and the bimetal spring thermometer. Bet they sell a lot of bimetals, because they work without an attached instrument or batteries. ;-)

At these temperatures, no amount of rags and styrofoam would protect an outdoor hose faucet either. Pow!!!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
Just measuring the temperature would become a chore when it's that cold.
Alcohol thermometers (the kind with the red crap in the bulb) would freeze out at around -20°, mercury becomes a solid metal at -40°, and a Galileo thermometer would explode within minutes of being set outside.

That leaves you with two options: the thermocouple or thermopile, and the bimetal spring thermometer. Bet they sell a lot of bimetals, because they work without an attached instrument or batteries. ;-)

At these temperatures, no amount of rags and styrofoam would protect an outdoor hose faucet either. Pow!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Telephony. (If it's not too personal, can you please explain why you're no longer Stingmon?)

I still don't understand how people can function outdoors in that kind of cold.

Regards,
Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Grummond:
People with cheap flashlights don't irritate me as long as they refrain from saying things like "I can't believe you spent £90 on that, I bought this from Tescos and it only cost £1.99"
I got a catalog in today's mail that has just what you need. It's a flashlight with built in pepper spray. The next time you show someone one of you higher quality lights & you get that reaction, you can say "I got another new light you may be interested in. Come closer & take a look..."
hmm3grin2orange.gif

It will probably only work once...unless they're pretty dense.
grin.gif
TX