Do you hate it when the batteries rattle?

ven

Flashaholic
^^^^^ yes, exactly what i use. Easier if trim a couple of mm off first(variable of course) and simply just use a hair dryer to shrink! Its also worth getting a few pos end protectors whilst at it for any repairs or future repairs.

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
Ya, the rattling bothers me too! I've been using red rosin paper. I cut a rectangle with the short (for C & D cells) dimension about 1" less than the total length of the battery stack. Of course, the dimension of the "roll" depends on the discrepancy between the tube ID and the battery OD. That's trial and error until I get a good fit.
Sovende

Gaudi

Newly Enlightened
I have used succesfully the spirals for binding copies. There are several wire thickness and diameters available and can be easily enlarged for a tight fit.
They work great for filling the space in flashlights that accommodate 3xAAA and 18650, the latter being quite lose.

2ff1b94a01b690ece2777e7d937378f6.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do because it's annoying and it also affects reliability. It's the main reason I never run CR123A's in 18650 lights or use 18650 lights for any serious purpose if I need extended runtime from changing to primaries. Battery sleeves can solve this to some extent, but then you have to carry one of those around on you as well.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Some really good ideas in here;

I'll use anything 'short' (;)) of aluminum foil to stop battery rattle in my lights; my typical solution is mylar due to its moderate resistance to curvature - in the same manner of a leaf spring, it retains a very slight bias towards maintaining its original shape, and subsequently holds to the interior of a flashlight body somewhat better than paper products.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some really good ideas in here;

I'll use anything 'short' (;)) of aluminum foil to stop battery rattle in my lights; my typical solution is mylar due to its moderate resistance to curvature - in the same manner of a leaf spring, it retains a very slight bias towards maintaining its original shape, and subsequently holds to the interior of a flashlight body somewhat better than paper products.

Is Mylar conductive?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I've had a few lights that rattled pretty bad with cells. I just make a sleeve out of several sheets of paper and wrap it with electrical tape. Works well enough for me.

janik

Newly Enlightened
I tend to leave my battery just the slightest bit loose so it's not crushing the positive post and putting undue stress on the threads of the adjuster screw when I fire it.

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
I tend to leave my battery just the slightest bit loose so it's not crushing the positive post and putting undue stress on the threads of the adjuster screw when I fire it.
I'm not sure that I completely understand what you're saying here? How does side to side motion of a battery or batteries have any impact on the linear force/pressure placed on the positive post? I'm even less sure as to the effect on the "threads of the adjuster screw".
Im fairly new to the finer points of flashlight technology but my general knowledge of electricity has me believe that solid contact along the current pathway is required to maintain continuity. Flashlights that have a "tube" for the batteries, generally have a spring either in the tailcap or at the base of the tube that provides enough pressure to ensure solid contact between the batteries and the rest of the circuit. In my limited experience, contact that's "just the slightest bit loose" makes for poor flashlight performance (at best) and maybe no light at all!
Sovende

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrap them in a piece of paper or thin cardboard. Does the job no worries. And yes, battery rattle really bothers me. On the LD 40/41 I heated the plastic battery holder and bent it inwards a little to hold the cells more securely. They are harder to get out, but no battery rattle.

Light_Your_Way

Newly Enlightened
Rattling batteries are annoying for me too. It must be a mild OCD thing. On the flip side...stuck batteries are annoying in a more practical way. It doesn't happen too often, but there are times that no matter how hard you shake, smack or pray, you can't get the battery out. Heat can sometimes help with this.

Duster1671

Enlightened
I make spacers from polyester shim stock. You can buy color coded booklets with thicknesses from .0005" to .030". It's easy to pick one that eliminates rattle but still lets the battery slide in and out freely. Cuts to size with regular scissors too.