Does a flashlight app for a smart phone obsolete EDC?

H-Man

Enlightened
I can turn on my phone's flashlight from the lock screen. Still only use it rarely since the phone's awake battery life is the same as a 1xAA light on medium and has a horrible green yellow tint. Plus I can't toss my phone in the sink to clean it after working on something.

Taz80

Enlightened
I've been seeing a few people using their cell lights while walking at night, while not ideal its better than nothing. Certainly much better than the fools walking on the wrong side of the road wearing dark clothes just begging to get hit. I've never used my cells light, never needed to I always have a couple of flashlights on me. I also think it would be a little difficult to get a cell phone between your teeth for some hands free lighting.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though I edc two lights, I still use the light on my phone occasionally, since it's "handy"

It will never replace my lights, but has its place. For most ppl, the phone will be ok until they really need a light and be stuck with a broken or wet phone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd rather use my phone battery for phone calls.

I cannot tell you how many folks I see in my job who have dead or near dead celphones when they need to "make that call" they have the phone for in the first place.

Last summer I was the first person at a multitude of accidents and each time the folks asked "do you have a phone I can use?, Mine is dead."

With todays key chain sized LED technology available at nearly every checkout counter there's no need to need a phone for light.
I use mine every now and then to find my dropped flashlight...