Dog walking and coyotes

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's correct that light does not scare away animals. So many examples of wild animals illuminated with bright spotlights and they may be a bit distracted, but likely not frightened. Because in the nature no animals(at least not mammals) have inbuildt light sources so they don't connect light with a danger. And not with living beings.

wweiss

Enlightened
I use 5mw green laser pointer from my closed kitchen window to chase deer, coyote and fox - easily - by putting the spot in front of them - none of them like the strange, fast jiggly moving green spot. They bolt.

Except skunks - their eyesight is poor and they don't give a crap about anything, anyway.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coyotes are rampant in our area and when walking in the early AM or evening I carry Sabre Red OC spray and a 2x9v mini-baton stun gun. Also works well for the 2-legged variety.

1996alnl2

Newly Enlightened
I don't think animal eye sight is like humans, they don't seem to get blinded by bright light. I've flashed my 1000 lumen E2D Defender Ultra at close range onto my cats face and they just squint a little at me and keep purring on the couch.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sounds like a job for mr paintball pistol and a 3 cell Maglite. Paint balls hurt yet are legal all over the place……well San Diego may have banned them but a bright flashlight is probably not the only thing you should be using to ward off coyotes if they're brave enough to follow you.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious here: is the problem with coyotes mainly related to that they consider your dog as a meal or are they even threatening against humans?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious here: is the problem with coyotes mainly related to that they consider your dog as a meal or are they even threatening against humans?

If they pack up they have been known to attack children. Usually not much worry about one coyote but stranger things have happened. I am not a fan of coyotes. I respect all wildlife but man, they are hard to like.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they pack up they have been known to attack children. Usually not much worry about one coyote but stranger things have happened. I am not a fan of coyotes. I respect all wildlife but man, they are hard to like.

Ok, I understand. A coyote is like a midsized dog, or slightly larger than a fox, right? So an adult human can usually protect himself against one coyote. But against a pack it will be more difficult. Even worse for children. And even a small canine can crush the finger with its bite so I understand they can be troublesome.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coydogs and feral dog packs are usually more of a threat to people, they often run in larger packs, have less of a wariness to people, and can be larger in size and more aggressive.

Devildude

Enlightened
Let us not forget in central New York we have been seeing coyote wolf hybrids are starting to appear. I saw my first one 3 years ago and they are as big as a German shepherd. I would not want to run into one without some form of protection.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Animals don't understand the concept of a flashlight and the only thing they notice is that it's light. They have no idea that it's you lighting them up and therefore are completely unconcerned.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Banned
Fellow Californian here- A great flashlight for walking a dog or just a walk- Pelican 5050r or their older 2380r. It's USB rechargeable, tough, rugged and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Pelican-5050R-Rechargeable-Adjustable-Focus-Flashlight_2.jpg

Last edited:

desertrunner

Banned
OP- Also buy a can of pepper spray (OC) in addition to a flashlight. It's better than nothing at all.

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
I have used everything up to and including the Astrolux MF01s which is about the last size I would consider easily portable. Yes it ruins their
night vision but I have seen it have little effect on their curiosity of getting a possible meal. Now, I have a 150lb Great Dane who not only
hates coyotes and javelina but, is a hand full when he sees them so leaving one hand free is a must. What has and does work
great is a stun gun. Get the loudest stun gun you can find and fire that when you see them, they will avoid you like the plague.
If that still doesn't work, carry a smaller canister of pepper gas. I have never had to use the gas but it's there if needed, especially
with javelina.