Dollhouse: a new Joss Whedon TV series!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I fell asleep in the middle of it. I want to like the show, but I never seem to get beyond lukewarm.

Due to my work schedule, I can no longer watch the show.

Anyone know if they repeat the episode later on in the day or the week, at a later time? A lot of shows do that, but the networks never advertise the alternate time you can catch the same episode. :hairpull:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's on hulu, I think, if that helps. Because, I don't think they repeat it at any point. I could be wrong, though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's on hulu, I think, if that helps. Because, I don't think they repeat it at any point. I could be wrong, though.

Oh that definitely helps! :thanks:
Yeah Fox doesn't generally show that type of "repeat." But I had hope they might.

sygyzy

Enlightened
I can't believe they didn't do any sort of recap for the first episode of the second season. I had to pause multiple times for my roommate and I to try and remember what had happened.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe they didn't do any sort of recap for the first episode of the second season. I had to pause multiple times for my roommate and I to try and remember what had happened.

Gonna have to agree with you here, sygyzy! I myself did remember everything fine, but I'm hardly a normal viewer (or person, lol), and even I would have appreciated some sort of recap--even just some "previously on Dollhouse . . ." snippets.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's hoping for a spectacular second season!

Oooh I missed it. :oops:
Just taking a look so apparently so did most most of the rest of the world based on the ratings. Here's hoping it manages an entire second season. Now I need to catch up.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, before the last episode a couple weeks ago, I was ready to post that I had pretty much given up hope of Dollhouse hitting the stride it should be hitting. I was feeling let down.

But then the last episode landed, and I was very impressed and happy with it. FINALLY I was feeling something for the characters. Before that . . . not so much. If you don't really care a lot about the main characters (or even dislike them) then there's no point in watching a show.

So . . . we shall see what happens with the rest of the season. I hope we have more like the last episode, but I'm not optimistic, sadly.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Learned last night that Dollhouse is canceled. They will air the remaining episodes, but it's done for. Understandable, sadly.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't really care a lot about the main characters (or even dislike them) then there's no point in watching a show.
And therein lies my problem with Dollhouse - I never cared for Echo (or Dushku's portrayal of her) at all. Some of the supporting characters were decent, but show revolves around Echo.

I hate complaining without offering alternatives, so if you're looking for good, recent TV SciFi, check out the following:

• Season 3 of Torchwood, AKA "Children Of Earth" (five 1 hour episodes) - I thought it was great, despite having no knowledge/background in Doctor Who or the previous Torchwood seasons.
  • The Lost Room (six 1 hour episodes) - I wish they would have continued this. I guess the demand for more ghost hunters and WWF meant SyFylis couldn't fit it into their schedule.
Both shows are available on DVD.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
yahoo tv has info on the cancelling of Dollhouse (see below).

Much as I tried, I couldn't get myself to continue watching this show, I kept falling asleep while trying to watch it, and off it went from my computer, actually even before I saw it is cancelled.

It looks like they will air the remaining Season 2 episodes for fans. That's good, I know when I like a show it really bums me if they cancel it and don't even show what they have already filmed!

Currently checking "V", a show about nice aliens turning bad. Not sure whether I'll stay with it, but we have few good Sci Fi shows on TV right now so I'll give it a lot of benefit of the doubt! Flash Forward is another kind of Sci Fi show (though set in the present with, so far, nothing extraordinary other than the main premise of course) which I think is probably the best one currently on TV.
""Dollhouse"
Sci-fi (and Eliza Dushku) fans were dealt a big blow when Fox announced it's canceling its sexy show "Dollhouse" after two seasons. The series, focused on a group of hotties working for a sketchy organization that repeatedly wipes their memories clean, had its share of cult followers, but the ratings never followed. Viewers were happy to hear Fox's recent announcement that it would air all 13 episodes ordered for the second season, but the fun will end there. Don't worry fans -- no matter what, Fox can never erase your memories of Dushku in a tank top.
Loose Ends: The remaining nine episodes will begin airing December 4."

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly, I can't say that I'm surprised. The series definitely had its moments. But when you stopped to think about it, I think a lot of folks just couldn't find enough likeable characters.

When I learned last season that there was going to be an episode where the Doll House was going to get attacked by Alpha, I was happy to hear it! . . . Then it turned out that Alpha was insane off his @$$!

Still, it's good of Fox to let the series get wrapped up.

One of my favorite series in the '90s was She-Wolf Of London. It died after a season and a half. The last episode ended with the two main characters getting turned into bunnies. Yup, bunnies . . .

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You would have watched them if the show HADN'T been canceled, but not now that it has been? :thinking:

Perhaps. Mainly because I was not "hooked" by the first episodes, but was considering watching the rest if it started getting better reviews, given it was a Joss Whedon show. After what I consider a horrible "loose ends" ending of Terminator SCC, I am not interested in getting more involved in a show I know is being prematurely cancelled due to low ratings that may or may not have an adequate wrap up.

In any case, I had installed an extra hard drive in my old DirecTV TIVO setup, and have switched last month over to AT&T's Uverse, so the episodes remain on the 600GB TIVO DVR. If the final 9 episodes get rave reviews and have a satisfying wrap up, I may end up watching them.

I'm still hooked into DirecTV for at least another 1-2 months only because one of my favorite shows on TV started showing in advance only on DirecTV, namely Friday Night Lights, and Dollhouse still sits on my "Season Pass" series recording list.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, yes, that makes perfect sense, especially if you don't like loose ends and a hanging state of a series.

Thanks for explaining, Lux!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crappers. Just found out. Hopefully, Joss will be respectful and have everything wrapped up for us. Having made Serenity, he does seem to care a lot for what he's doing and for his viewers.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two more great episodes, last night. Two hours, two weeks in a row. Could they be planning on squeezing in more than was originally planned, in order to wrap it up satisfactorily? (or, do they want to hurry up and get it off the air?)