Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding(many pix)

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Wow!! Just wanted to say that is a great guide! There are some nice tips in there, and lots of pictures too. I can appreciate the time it must have taken to produce a guide like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Hmmmm... I guess I'll have to order more stuff so that I can umm, practice what I've just learned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding(many

Awesome guide!

I'm pretty newbie, but is it possible to do the chinese 5 LED mod with one of the 8 LED 1AA flashlights I'm seeing on ebay? Would that fit in a minimag? And would that be any brighter and still be able to run on two AA's?

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Greenled: Yes, and there will be more to come... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wquiles: Thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PhotonAddict: Good luck! And let us know how it turns out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deadshot11: I did purchase some 8 leds 2 AA Chinese flashlights as I was doing the 5 leds mod, but after some initial dry fitting, it was hardly as eye-pleasing as the 5 leds one, so I went ahead with the 5 leds mod. But it is definitely do-able.

And some work will need to be done on the 'light engine' in order for it to fit into the Minimag head assembly. I will post some update/my result in the next few days about the 8 leds mod, essentially it is almost the same process but with 8 leds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened

I saw both 2AA and 1AA versions of the 8led's. Wouldn't there be no point mod the 2AA version into the minimag, since it's already driven by 2AA's and there'd be no overdrive? I thought the whole point of the 5 led mod was to overdrive them.

How does the stock 8 led compare to your modded 5 led minimag?

AuroraLite

Enlightened

You are correct that the 'overdriven' 5 leds mod does seem to surpass its original AA/AAA original light.

But on the day of purchasing those 5 leds lights, the only one I saw on the street was 8 leds 2 AA and I turn it into a Minimag mod anyway, just to see how it looks. It does give very tiny bit more light(if not just about the same) light as a 5 leds mod, but the color was kinda 'angry blue'. I guess it wasn't entirely a fair comparison since the makers might have made them with different leds, and the 8 leds mod, for some reason, has a tighter flood than the 5 leds mod.

I will try to look for a 8 led 1 AA version and see how it turns out...

And here is just a snap shot of what a 8 leds in Minimag mod will look like:

And all reader please take note: I went back to check out the 'destroyed' 5 led light body, and it turns out that it is actually a AAA instead of AA. So when you shop for that 'light' please take metal note it is a AAA, but AA in similar size should work too. The widest part of the flashlight(the led holder at front) should be ~20.20mm, so the holder could fit the Minimag perfect in 'reverse'.

rscanady

Enlightened

Awesome job! This was exactly what i was looking for a friend.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW - I know where to come when I have the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Rscanady: Thank you! Hope this works for you/your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Codeman: Haha, the question is will you have the time until USL is finished? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif My hats off to the hard working 'Team USL', and what a fine accomplishment that will be! Truly looking forward to that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

<font color="red">Update</font>

A new entry of $6 8 led Minimag mod had entered the arena! I doubt we could pack even more led than that into a Minimag head, but who knows?

Very soon, we will see the 8 UV led mod coming out soon, just for fun sake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I am currently working up a Minimag 2 stage solution using the original tailcap, keeping my finger crossed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ledean

Enlightened

love the way you keep updating and improving.
Waiting for more .
Great job again

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened

What's the easiest way to get a hold of a piece of one-sided copper-plated board for the 5 led mod? I don't wanna buy a whole board if I only need one square-inch. Anyone know any tricks to getting a hold of that?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very well done. Thank you for all your hard work!

Paul

Display_Name

Newly Enlightened

I would also need a copper board and lead wires but the instructions for the board seem a little difficult to understand. Also I dont have a dremel.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Ledean and Chimo
Always my pleasure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif New sub sections are being written up as of now. I will be adding some pictures for a some prototypes or working 2 stage stock tailcap/kroll switch soon.

Deadshot 11
I have tried checking it for you, and seems to me that some online electronic shops do offer them in 3"x5" format(such as digikey), and I would suggest keyword search for 'copper clad board' Could you find them in any local electronic shops?

Good luck with the mods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Display_Name
Could you please let me know which particular part might seem to be difficult to understand?

I know some of the wordy description probably might do no justice until you 'click' onto those pictures and see it upclose...it is not my mother tongue, but I will try my best to remedy that. Just let me know(in particular, which photo 'ID' number). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the leads, I usually get them from the left-over cut-off led legs from other led mods, and they served this purpose really well.

Display_Name

Newly Enlightened

Sorry now that I looked at the larger pictures I understand. Great jobs on these mods. Any suggestions on where to find the chinese 5 led light.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Hi, Display_Name.

Glad you could understand them ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif As for those 'Chinese lights', one could usually find them on Ebay(keyword search: 'led' or 'led light') or even from our local distributor on CPF. For the 5 leds mod, it is a 1AAA 5 leds light.

Depending where you are localed, sometimes these lights could even be spotted in local electronic shops.

Best of luck to you and your mods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, I had checked two small electronics stores, and they didn't have the copper board. But I didn't think to drive over to the local Fry's and check. Picked up a 3"x5" board for $3.

03lab

Enlightened

WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Very impressive, thanks! This needs to be turned into a PDF for offline reference! (I could host it if you like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holy Crap!!! All i have to say is one word

STICKY!!!!!

This thread and the extremely detailed and pictorial descriptions and walkthroughs definately need to be stuck in this section. That was totally awesome. Thanks ArouraLite!!!

Shane