Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding(many pix)

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Wow, I myself haven't visited this thread for a while, and am too think it is about time to give it a little update:

bimemrboy318 and tanasit,
Thank you! :)

milkyspit and wmpwi,
I will be honored to have it be recorded as a pdf. The whole purpose of this thread is to serve as a reference guide to all who have interest related to modding maglite AA or the even the lights that are similar in such format. Anyway we do that could improve this thread as an more effective will always be appreciated. :rock: :goodjob:

snipinglight,
I really don't know, but last time I have heard, a new MiniPro with user adjustable output was on the way, IIRC. Maybe shoot them another email/PM later on again to see what happens?

##################################

Just some thoughts about where do we go next, recently had been quite busy at work and various kind of mods/light/lights-related fun. And I had been waiting for the Maglite led 2AA to hit the local market ever since. While I always think modding is a fun hobby, and it sometimes might not even need a justification to itself, I also very much so like to keep things real--that in some way or another, the mod will bring additional value to the modder than it's original form.

With the new maglite led 2AA hitting the market, I think it is time to re-evalute what this thread could offer in the future. Though there are still probably tons of mag 2AA incan avialible to be modded on earth, I think the next steps will logically to explore the idea on how to improve upon the maglite 2AA led. I have seen a few great ideas/mods done already on that end onboard CPF, which I probably will start collaborating into this thread.

And with more and more new led/electronics/battery tech advancement, I am sure the fun will never ends. :devil: :D

Last edited:

wintermute

Enlightened
Re: Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding(many

one of the best threads ever! Tons of info. Great job.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Does the SOX20A (IMS 20 reflector) fit in the minimag head without the need for the 16 and 18mm O-rings?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the SOX20A (IMS 20 reflector) fit in the minimag head without the need for the 16 and 18mm O-rings?

Yes, but it has its own issue: the MM head needs to be drilled or bored out a bit to allow the IMS20 to slide deep enough into the head to close the bezel ring properly.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
So would the SOX17 A be a better drop in solution or could I go with an McR 18 or McR20 for drop in?

If you've got the means to make the IMS20 fit, that IMHO is the best match to the MiniMag. If not, a McR18 is a decent alternative.

BTW, if you're careful you could probably enlarge the opening using a Unibit drill bit (those stepped bits) of the sort available at Lowes or Home Depot.

greenLED

Flashaholic
LG, yes, but you'll need an o-ring to stabilize it inside the minimag head. You gotta place the o-ring on the window, center the reflector over it, and then tighten the head.

I haven't tried a McR18. Seeing how the IMS17 is too small, and any 20mm reflector is too large, the McR18 might be your ticket.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
shall I say I am putting these together (a twin pair that has the same innards and reflector/window) for two of my friends for christmas presents. Put it this way, it's the minimag form factor with an LED that is at least 4 times brighter than the original. (thats if I did my calculations right, TXOJ running from a MadMax plus board off of two Lithium, NiMh, or Alkaline AAs,= ~70lm from the LED I believe (thats if the calculation was done right).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Honestly, I'd buy them a TerraLux drop-in and get it over with. Giving mods is really cool if your recipients are like-minded. But sammies can get finicky and if the reflector requires fine-tuning, etc. it'll be more of frustration for them than anything.

Even the Lux I drop-in from TerraLux is a whole lot brighter than the stock bulb. It comes with a very nice reflector and it's very simple to change the innards, etc.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Last I heard some of those newer drop-ins were having heat management issues, so make sure to research what the latest feedback on those is.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Or I could make both sandwiches and just keep the lights for my self (that was my original intent). Could I use a Luxeon I SWOH (from the Shoppe) with a MadMax Plus step up regulator board (700mA)?

greenLED

Flashaholic
That sounds like a plan too. I have a couple of R-bin Lux sammies that I still find plenty bright & useful.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I might actually scratch running S bin 1 watts at 700mA, afraid I might toast the emitter. I am actually going with Luxeon III HD emitters (TXOJ) and from my calculations you still get quite a wall of light compared to stock lamp. I however am curious to see if any one finds it suitable to floor the Luxeon I (SWOH) at 700mA.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Actually, the current hadn't fully "clicked" in my head when I replied to your post. I'd use a T bin and maybe a copper heatsink (filed down pre-1982 pennies work well).

That said, I prefer the 500mA sammies - bright enough and a lot longer runtime than the 750mA flavors.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
how long is the run time on a 750mA sammie? I might have to drop down to the MadMax lite with a RYOJ if runtime shakes too much.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Hmm 1.5 hours from the 700mA sammie on average (NiMh or lithium), that is here to stay, that is my final choice, I am kind of doing these for a little more brightness and a little less runtime, after all in the end I am probably only going to use NiMh AAs with the lights. Any body know how the sammies indicate low batteries (does it flash, or does it just die)

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for the light output change over time, there are charts around for each. The dropoff is the cue to watch for.f

At that point if you're in a cave or dark woods just leave it on, I think, I recall it takes more power out of the batteries to start it up and then drop down to 'moon' mode than just to stay on at that level.