Eastern power outages (8/14 - the ONLY thread)

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eastern power outages (Aug 14)

[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
OK, I've only just now gotten around to posting anything of meaning in this thread.

After having no power in my office for an extended period of time, our electrical department (who now no longer make jokes about the flashlights, woo hoo!) and a few other people have determined that my McLux with McFlood is the best overall light for a power outage, second is the Arc LSL, and third is the Arc LSH. We also found that a headlamp is great, but when working with other people, you tend to turn your head where YOU want to look, and that can blow someone else's night vision and take the focus off what you are trying to see.

I had an E2e-CJ, McLux / McFlood, Arc LSL, Arc LSH, 2 Arc AAA's, SF L4, SF M6, and several random loose LED's taped or connected to whatever batteries we could scrounge up. Something else that came in VERY handy was my FreePlay Radio. It has AM/FM and Short Wave bands, a solar panel and a CRANK for power generation, and a 3-LED light that has a reeled cord and a magnet on the back to stick it to stuff.

The M6 was great to light the stairwell temporarily when the emergency lights ran out of juice. It lit up 4 flights and all the landings quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once took a mountaineering class, the instructor felt the best flashlight in the woods was a headlamp. BUT, he also said he never wears it on his head, but hangs it around his neck. He felt the light beam should go in the direction the body is heading, not bouncing around with head movement.

GregR

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

The blackout from space!

blackout.jpg

Lighthouse

Enlightened

Good catch Roy!

Wondered how long it would be before we would see some of these jewels.

Lighthouse

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Major hole!! Plus the fact that a person has to travel far to find anything substantially dark (I miss the Milky Way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Dan

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's quite a chunk out of the Eastern Grid. Still, it illustrates that most of the safeguards worked: look at the rest of the Eastern Grid that is NOT affected by the blackout.

ygbsm

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Wow, good story, but what the heck did you do with the iPaq? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was the TV set useful? A couple people mentioned them. I don't own any TV set (wired or otherwise) at the moment and it wouldn't have occurred to me that I might need one in a blackout. I do have a handheld portable radio (runs for at least 10 hours on two AAA cells) and that's seemed to me like an adequate source of news.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an ipaq with a spare battery with a lot of music files so I listened to music and pretended to do some work. A walkman or CD player would have worked fine also.

A radio would have been a good source of information. The TV was useful and on Friday was helpful in alleviating boredom.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

That picture is one of *many* Photoshop hoaxes that have been circulating around the internet. Here's one way to tell: the uninhabited areas of northern Canada are lighter than the supposedly "black" area of the Northeast. Also, the cities weren't really black due to the many buildings with backup generators.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I got an email today that this picture was a hoax. As I understand, snopes.com did some kind of expose' on it, and a former astronaut also looked at the picture and determined it was phoney.

"Geostar" is supposedly a fake satellite name, "EST" is used on the picture instead of "UTC" (which all satellites with transponders are set to), and the entire picture has no clouds on it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darn, I knew that was too good to be true. Oh well.

I looked it up, that picture is actually a composite of thousands of nighttime satellite pictures. You'll also notice that there are no clouds or other obstructions and that they were all taken during little to no moonlight which is why the ground is as dark as it is.

I just downloaded a 14 meg nice high res image of it from nasa.gov and it's that exact image, without the triangle cut into it.

Though they make reference to the outage on that very webpage, they do not have any pictures of it. Some other really beautiful picts though!

EDIT: BUT NOAA does have pictures posted, a quick comparison as linked to from the snopes page is here:

EDIT: removed link to image as it was broken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

and the real links to full sized before and after picts.

Still pretty good, but not so dramatic...

Brock

Flashaholic

I thought it was odd since a bunch of Detroit was lit up, and they didn't have power.

I would also think you would see some lights, not as bright, but something.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the NOAA pics, you will see that a good portion of NJ is unaffected.

JOshooter

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
blackout.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

And in the upper right corner you can see what area's were affected by the flood. Ooooh, that would have been worse.

Latest posts