grocery cost thread its crazy!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
every day after work on my walk home in the 90s id get a coke in the bottle and a skor candy bar think it was like 90 cents total lol
Absolutely... when I was a poor student, I would often opt for what I called the $1.00 special when my mates were buying Coke at venue prices (video arcade).

$1.00 would buy a cold can of Coke & a full sized Mars chocolate bar at the Supermarket 😁

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh, I forgot to mention a pack of Ramen noodles was 79 cents!!! That's crazy. They were like 12 cents before covid.

I look at the recent historical line as pre-covid/post covid, not Trump vs Biden. Fact is when the global economy was forced into a coma, trillions of $ were pumped into the economy and supplies became unstable it created conditions we deal with today. Be it Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum in the WhiteHouse much of the situation would have occurred.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Most know I grew up poor and been that was most of my life . Well a course that meant I aite much so much raman grew to hate it lol. Well my sister assumedi loved it since I aite so much of it lol. So one year guess what I got for Christmas lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry raggie, horribly exhausted from work over the weekend.
Currently speaking, at the nearest supermarket out by me:
Gallon of milk ~ $4.63
Pound of ground beef ~ $4.91 (and steadily going up).
Two loafs of bread ~ $5.98

Almost cheaper to hunt down people to cannibalize for meat. But I'm stuck in NYC, so most of them are going to be Vegan. I bet they taste like cardboard and tofu. :mad:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how people are managing with the insane cost increases, not to mention everyone want's a tip for every interaction no matter how trivial.

At least my property taxes went down 39% this year thanks to the state legislature passing the homeowner's tax relief program.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The truth hurts hence the heads buried in the sand.
Wife had some old guy tell her we need to help all these people that are pouring across our border?
So we should just let everyone who wants a better life just come right in? I think over half the world wants to live here for that better life who would blame them? So our population goes from 330million to 3.5 billion surely we can cope with that??? 😂
Oh did i forget to mention my wife got her U.S. citizenship in 2023. After coming here legally under a green card it only took 38 years to finally pony up the money and the many months of reasonable red tape but she raised her hand and swore allegiance to the America. I'm so proud of her. 🇺🇸
Same with me and my parents. Came here legally. Went through all the Red tape. It felt like half a lifetime before I raised my right hand and was sworn in as a U.S. citizen. My family has enough respect for this country to enter the right damn way!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry raggie, horribly exhausted from work over the weekend.
Currently speaking, at the nearest supermarket out by me:
Gallon of milk ~ $4.63
Pound of ground beef ~ $4.91 (and steadily going up).
Two loafs of bread ~ $5.98

Almost cheaper to hunt down people to cannibalize for meat. But I'm stuck in NYC, so most of them are going to be Vegan. I bet they taste like cardboard and tofu. :mad:
Get some of that Frank's hot sauce. You can put that :poop: on everything!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Same with me and my parents. Came here legally. Went through all the Red tape. It felt like half a lifetime before I raised my right hand and was sworn in as a U.S. citizen. My family has enough respect for this country to enter the right damn way!
Same with my grandparents on my mother's side, and great grandparents on my father's side. I think both had to be screened for diseases at Ellis Island as well before they could even set foot on the mainland.

I don't know how people are managing with the insane cost increases, not to mention everyone want's a tip for every interaction no matter how trivial.
From what I've read people are purchasing food using their credit cards. Credit card debt is at an all-time high. That's not managing the insane cost increases, that's adding cost in the form of interest.

At least my property taxes went down 39% this year thanks to the state legislature passing the homeowner's tax relief program.
I'm glad to read such news. 👍

raggie33

*the raggedier*
any folks here recall prices ever going back down in foods? becuase dang come on enough is enough . should never cost so much just to eat. im happy if atleast chicekn thighs and and other foods droped in price

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Our way it ebbs and flows. Example recently was a pack of 9 boneless thighs was $18!!! Yet before Christmas it was $6. On the reverse, eggs had been as much as $6/dozen for large in the summer. They stay at about $1.25 to 1.75 now.

I see beef and pork rising and falling as well. I'd say a 12oz ribeye for $3.99 days are gone but at time they're down to about $6.99. I wait until they reduce the price because they're about to go out of date. Aged beef for much less? Pffft, win win baby.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Retail giant removes Pepsi and Lay's from its stores for being too expensive

Carrefour, who is one of France's biggest supermarket chains, is planning to axe PepsiCo items from its stores, a decision that was made after prices became too costly.

Beloved products such as Pepsi, Lay's, Gatorade, Quaker, Cheetos and other brands owned by the parent company will no longer be placed on the shelves.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
any folks here recall prices ever going back down in foods? becuase dang come on enough is enough . should never cost so much just to eat. im happy if atleast chicekn thighs and and other foods droped in price
Prices on food and gasoline always come down a bit, but never to the point they originally were. Unfortunately, politics does play into food prices as money mismanagement by elected officials causes inflation. Directly leading to our Dollar being able to purchase less than it did years before.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot has to do with nature, and how things go on the farm or ranch.

For example, remember the epidemic that took out a large number of chickens recently? Egg prices and chicken meat went crazy, some restaurants had to drop chicken from their menus.

Beef prices can fluctuate depending on feed prices, which fluctuate depending on the weather. If the pastures get good rain, then there is plenty of hay to feed cattle through the winter, and sales to market are moderate. If the weather is dry, and hay is lacking, some ranchers can't afford to buy feed to get their cattle through the winter, so they sell off a lot. This can cause an increase of beef on the market, and lower the price to the consumer. The thing that drives me crazy is the price of beef jerky--what is up with that?! If you figure out the price per pound for beef jerky, it is unreal.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Pigly wiggly has chicken quarters for 70 a pound .its lot of work when I buy them since it comes in 10 pound bag. So I must separate thighs from drum sticks then vacuum pack them all. But I'll have food ready to go. Hect even a can of tuna now is 1 buck and after you remove water I'd bet it weight 4 ounces