EDC Pen?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC was a Parker Jotter...either regular or stainless, depending on my mood that day. This week, I got a Fisher SAFP5 space pen. It seems to be a nice pen...a little on the thin side for my taste, though. It came with black ink and I'm a blue ink person (mostly because I have to review and mark-up cad drawings for work and the black doesn't stand out enough) so I ordered some blue refills which should be here tomorrow. I plan to find a couple of pens that take Parker refills, put Fisher refills in them and put them in my and my wife's vehicles so we always have pens that work - no matter the temp. My wife had a fit at the price of the Fisher, even though it wasn't that expensive. If she only knew how much I've spent in Parker Jotters (pens and mechanical pencils!) :whistle:

The thing that drew me to the SAFP5 was that is a solid, one-piece aluminum barrell, so I don't have to worry about breaking it when its in my back pocket. I've already had 2 different people make comments about it as it has an American flag design anodized the length of the barrell.

Time will tell if it will replace the Jotters permanently.

I think you're in for a nice surprise with those Fisher refills. I started out with a Fisher military pen, then bought a bullet space pen, and then bought a refill and put it in a retractable pen I use at work. Love never being frustrated with pens that don't work.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use the Fisher refills for everything, but over the past few years, they've been quite "globby" (if that's a word) and do not write smoothly. I had one about ten years ago that wrote very nicely, but haven't found any that work that well lately.

I use Field Notes books a lot and tend to use mechanical pencils in them as I'm usually drawing up plans for tactical nylon items I want to build. The Parker Quink gel refills have pretty much replaced all my Fisher pressurized refills anymore. Even when on field training, I'll use mechanical pencils in my RITR notebooks...or very fine-tip Sharpies...(They're too dark for Field Notes books, but work great in my RITR book...)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
If you don't need to write in every angle, and appreciate a lightweight 5 inch plastic fountain pen that writes decently smooth with thicker ink, how about the Namiki Prera? I carry one in medium nib, as the reverse can be used as a fine nib. As far as ball point pens go, I have a 2 pack four-in-one pen from home depot. Has u.v., led, touch screen stylus, and a suprisingly smooth ball point; smoother than a typical ball point and even as smooth as the pilot g2's.

FortyCaliber

Newly Enlightened
I gave up on the Fisher space pen bc of the gloopiness. I carried a Cross ION for many years but I was frustrated by the very short life of the refills. For the past several years, I've been pants pocket carrying a Zebra F-301 Compact pen and a Pentel Kerry 0.5mm pencil as backup writing utensils. Refills for the pen are cheap, available in black and blue locally and seem to last quite a while. My regular writing pencils are usually Pilot Vanishing Point pencils in 0.5 and 0.3mm. For pens, I have some Mont Blancs that I rotate through, as I really like the performance of their bold ballpoint refill, but the resin pens don't hold up very well for me. I recently received a Surefire EWP-01-BK that takes a Parker type refill ( I like the Parker refill, but I like the MB more) but I modded the Surefire to take the MontBlanc refill, so now I am a happy boy, at least until the next better thing comes along!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just modded (increased the size of the opening) my Surefire EWP-01 to fit the Spacepen refill. It doesn't write very nice.
I really line the way my MB gel writes.

What cartridge are you using in your SF pen?

raiderkilo

Newly Enlightened
Look eBay Titaner titanium tactical pen

Sent from my* Sony Xperia™ smartphone

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been rocking a Fisher space pen refill in a parker-compatible pen I was given as a reward at work. I've had no complaints.

I picked up a Parker Jotter Stainless (with medium 1.0 tip) yesterday (was looking at a Surefire Pen, but decided against it for now) and it writes SO much better than the Fisher refill.

The Fisher still has it's place in my EDC kit, but man, this Jotter is awesome.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a SF EWP-01 pen, it's big, solid and heavy, but it is nice to write with.
the original refill was globby and awful (Schmidt easy flow), so it now has a fine blue space pen refill.

Before that it was a Uni Powertank, and a EDCF Tuffwriter (with space pen refill)

psycosteve

Newly Enlightened
Right now I am using a Smith & Wesson M&P Tactical pen that has handled more abuse then I could imagine. I have gone thru security with it not a problem. It does what I need it to do be tough, write decently and stay clipped in my pocket and it does all three with relative ease.

AB8XL

Enlightened
For several years now I have carried a Messograf Caliper Pen with a Fisher Space Pen refill. They can be found on Amazon for $23.

messograf.jpg

pelicularities

Newly Enlightened
Prometheus Writes Alpha pen in aluminium. I have the Ti too but it's just a bit too heavy. I've worked my way through many, many, many different types of pens - Pilot G2s stop flowing well once you drop them, capped pens always come apart in the pocket, clicky pens will engage accidentally, most clips are hard to clip on and remove, I dislike ballpoints, I have a Fisher military pen that is uber-reliable but I just hate the feel of it on paper, I love fountain pens but they require a lot of maintenance and aren't a good EDC option.

The Prometheus Writes Alpha solves all those problems - it writes like a dream, it doesn't stain like a fountain pen, it's durable, the cap won't get lost, the clip engages and disengages easily.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I adore pens either by buying or receiving i have hundreds and still to this day one of the best writers is still the very basic Bic Biro.Although i rarely use one i keep a couple spare in the car.

higgsfield

Newly Enlightened
I initially got into knives in a big way and just recently developed an interest in pens and flashlights. I have a Boker K.I.D. Cal .50 and a Hinderer Investigator Pen. Between the two, I prefer the Investigator pen. It carries very well because of its slim profile and small size. It also has very tight tolerances and is robustly built.

Omenwolf

Newly Enlightened
Started with a regular Space pen then to the stylus space pen cause I have gloves on a lot for work. Then I wanted to try something bigger so I tried a S&W tac pen. I really like the idea of the Tac pen but the S&W was too big so I got a Hinderer SS investigator pen and I love it. Most of the benefits of the Space pen ( cartridge and size) with the weight of the S&W tac pen but more compact. It has not left my pocket since!!

zatoichiicc

Newly Enlightened
I have a habit of picking up pens that are give a ways at information booths at trade fairs. I use them a lot.

But the pens I buy most often are Zebra F-301.

bnemmie

Enlightened
I usually carry one of three: Parker Jotter in Stainless with a Blue Gel cartridge, A Fisher Clicky Space Pen with a Medium Black and my newest pen is an all aluminum Embassy Pen (Rev. 2) from County Comm. http://countycomm.com/pen.html. I really like it. Ive found that a thinner pen causes my hands to cramp before too long ( I think I grip WAY too hard) and this pen is nice and thick. They also make one in solid TI and copper. Im saving up for that one lol.

gsr

Enlightened
I always have Parker Jotters in my pen pockets, and a Fisher Bullet Space Pen in the sheath with my Leatherman Charge TTi.

vernSL

Newly Enlightened
I really want to buy one of the Prometheus pens, but I'm not sure about the Mont Blanc cartridges. I write in the rain or in wet conditions quite often for my job and really like the Fisher Space Pen cartridges for that. So that's why I'm considering going for a TiBolt instead. The TiBolt seems a bit on the bigger side though, which is making me hesitate. I wish a Space Pen cartridge could work in the Prometheus pen.