EDC Pen?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
As nice as the fitment mechanism is in the screw-cap pen, I can't deny the convenience of a clicky pen.

Well, months have passed and I never ordered the clicky from Big Idea Design. I did play with some very nicely machined Chinese solid brass pens sold on Amazon under brand names like "Copplus" and "Ekloen", but in the end decided that so many of the machined pens were simply too long to fit in my front shirt pocket.

There has been an exception to that for the last few years, the EDK pen from Karas Kustoms. At barely more than 5 inches and using the popular Parker/Schmidt ballpoint refills it seemed ideal except for that pesky warning on the web site. It stated that the clicky mechanism could wear out if abused and I'm thinking "on a $70 pen? Seriously?"

Recently Karas has introduced "V2" of their click pens (the Retrakt and EDK). Both feature a redesigned and more durable click mechanism fabricated from stainless steel. The redesign also addresses another (unknown to me) complaint about the original design: the tendency of the two halves of the pen to unscrew in one's pocket. This was fixed by greatly lengthening the threads between the top and bottom halves of the barrel and by adding a "collar" below the threads on the nosepiece which houses an O-ring for added friction.

As the intrigue of brass had caught me in the last few months, I went for the solid brass EDK V2. It is solid and heavy, fits nicely in my pocket, and has a raw finish that I will never care about getting abraded away like anodized aluminum. The feel on the clicky isn't the greatest but it is perfectly functional. I might just go for the Retrakt (which is engineered for the Pilot G-2 refill) but that's for another message in the future.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several "custom" pens that use click mechanisms that won't hold up under extreme use or a drop landing on that cap.... Surefire is included in that. Porsche design makes some durable and very good quality pens that are cheaper than many customs then you have Microtech Siphon 2 that is cool, pleasant to write with and no parts to wear out plus a lifetime warranty for anything that goes wrong.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
G-2

g2BHvhg.jpg

schuster

Newly Enlightened

This is certainly a cheap, very popular and enduring product.

People seem to have a love-hate relationship with them, though; if you look at the EDC and pen forums where are a lot of equivocal comments:

The 0.38 and 0.5mm tip are far too scratchy
The 0.7 and 1.0 mm tips tend to feather, blob, and dry too slowly to be useful especially for left-handed writers.
Quality control has slipped and is very uneven with some DOA out of the box; others quitting long before the ink supply has been exhausted.

I do use them enough to be considering a machined pen which uses the G-2 refills, but I understand the "what's the hype" comments, too.

It's also been said that the Pilot "Juice" pens use a refill in the same form factor, but with an improved ink that many find preferable on direct comparison.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 0.38 and 0.5mm tip are far too scratchy
The 0.7 and 1.0 mm tips tend to feather, blob, and dry too slowly to be useful especially for left-handed writers.
Quality control has slipped and is very uneven with some DOA out of the box; others quitting long before the ink supply has been exhausted...
I buy them by the box and dread of getting a bad batch. Knock on wood - so far so good. I always have a 0.38 handy for my food log - Hobonichi 2019 with Tomoe River paper, which is a great fountain pen paper, but works well with G-2. 0.5 is a good line, and I have 0.7 & 1.0 around, in fact I use the 1.0 black for writing checks (anyone remember those lol) to pay the bills. I've not experience scratchy writing on any paper, from backs of envelopes to Field Notes notebooks. Right now I'm EDC'ng a Goulet passport sized graph, and it's more than half way filled in.

I tried various Zebra Pen Sarasa pens and while still new they fade with long writing - not that long either. Pilot G-2s never do that, and I never say never. These were single pen purchases and I'll not be buying any more.

I do like the Uni-ball Signo UM-151 Gel Pen and have gotten various colors. Not a click but a cap gel pen. All of mine are 0.38. Smooth, nice colors.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Two is one so……
A2D7DB84-5D36-41DD-B692-A3FCB192ECAE.jpeg

After trying and enjoying many pens over the decades my edc pen has been the simple Cross clicky for a few years now. The black one is a backup that as you can see by the clean foam grip ring has not been needed. Comes with medium ball point or gel. I've opted for ball point in both.

And for kicks & giggles……
FC6EF198-43F3-4187-9860-D36A756364F4.jpeg

PK Design Lab art that doubles as an inkpen.

3_gun

Enlightened
Fisher Space cartridge in a Paper Mate body. Not flashy but works great & no ones tried to steal it. It's backed up by a combo wide / thin tip Sharpie

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Fisher Space cartridge in a Paper Mate body. Not flashy but works great & no ones tried to steal it. It's backed up by a combo wide / thin tip Sharpie
PK used Fisher cartridges in his tactical pens.

I tried and liked the Fisher in a Paper Mate but ink kept oozing out of the cartridge when carrying in my shirt pocket in hot weather. Eventually it got stashed in a console in my truck I call Jimmy Hafa because it's a place where things just disappear.

I used a Cross 3-way for a while. Pencil, red ink and black ink combo but one day I started using the clicky. It just stuck. I also carry a 5mm mechanical pencil with HB grade sticks.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I just recently discovered the
Schneider Slider Rave XB (1.4mm)
ballpoint pens !

Super-smooth performer !

< insert BigThumbsUp here >

LEDad

Newly Enlightened
I used a Chrome Cross Classic Century for my entire professional career. I treated myself to one when I started Graduate School and used the same style pen until I retired. Each one would last 4 to 5 years. Not one of them ever stopped working (other than needing a refill), but eventually I would loan my pen to someone and not get it back. Since I retired I have had time to experiment and work with many, many other types and styles of pens, but I always come back to the Cross Classic when I finally realize they don't work for me as well as my Cross Classic. The only pen that comes close is the Cross Clicky, like the ones mentioned by Bykfixr.

motigg

Newly Enlightened
Schon Designs classic pen. Mine is in stainless and heavy but he offers aluminum versions. Uses a space pen cartridge. Made by a guy in Boston. Very simple and reliable design, when closed its small and easy to put anywhere.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
My favorite for the last three years has been the Zebra F-701. Stainless steel, tough as heck, easy to disinfect (I work in a hospital - this is REALLY important!) and can use several different ink inserts. I've carried it through TSA, court security and into several other NPEs without issue.
F0b8jjd_d.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My favorite for the last three years has been the Zebra F-701. Stainless steel, tough as heck, easy to disinfect (I work in a hospital - this is REALLY important!) and can use several different ink inserts. I've carried it through TSA, court security and into several other NPEs without issue.
View attachment 34492
Curious if yours is an older model or one of the newer ones. Bought one of the newer ones a couple of years back. It literally fell apart in my hands days after getting and EDCing it.