EDC/Work LED Light

MagicDot

Newly Enlightened
Let me just preface this question by saying I've been reading these forums for a couple years now. I think this might be my first post though and mostly because I'm baffled by all the options out there any more. I am an electrician and tool geek by trade. So all my tools are used; I have no shelf queens. That being said, I do not purchase cheap tools because I rely on them every day and we all know the better tools make for a better finished job. I pride myself on using the best and delivering the best. I have always relied on my Streamlight lights and until recently I had a Nitecore in my pocket for EDC, but that was lost.. ..probably sitting in a panel somewhere.. So I'm in need of a new pocket/belt carry light for every day use, but being that I am frequently USING the light, I also need something that's rechargeable; this is one of the reasons I've stuck with Streamlight. However I am not opposed to using rechargeable batteries that require a separate cradle.

On with the questionnaire and a hearty thanks for opinions.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

x____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
_x___Less than $150.
_x___Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
_x___I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
__x__I want a dive light.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

_x___Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_x___Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
__x__Holster carry.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_x___LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_x___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_x___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
__x__I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__x__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

_x___I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
_x___I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_x___I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_x___I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_x___Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_x___Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_x___5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x___30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_x___50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_x___150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_x___30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_x___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_x___Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
__x__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_x___I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
_x___I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
_x___Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
_x___Pocket/belt clip
_x___Holster
_x___Wrist/Neck Lanyard
_x__Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I only have AA lights... so I can't answer the question....

I hate not being able to answer the question.

but more than that, I hate not being a part of the conversation.

edit: shiningbeam got a Romisen RC-T602 on sale.. that'd do it

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For all those needs, you might consier 2 lights, maybe one headlamp and another larger one for throw/output. As a headlamp, look into the Zebralight H51 or H502 (right angle lights with a headband). The H502 is a floody light (no reflectror, just the emitter) so might be good for close range work. There's also a XM-L 18650, the H600, light that might work too. It'll have a high max output and good low as well, but the beam pattern might not be best for close range work. Zebralight don't have crenulated bezels though.

If you just want a straight barrel light, Fenix, 4sevens, Eagletac... There are a lot of good companies.

What kind of beampattern works best for you?
Also, would you prefer neutral/warm/High CRI LED lights?

Danielight

Enlightened
Although I don't own this light, it looks like the Sunwayman V20C might suit your needs. It looks like you might have to get a crenulated bezel separately, but it can be purchased for about $8.00 ...

The 2011 V20C is the latest powerful tactical flashlight from SUNWAYMAN. This light has a brand new structure, and an innovative multi-functional, fully variable magnetic control ring. The V20C's fully variable magnetic control ring marks a major breakthrough in technology. It perfectly integrates the super-low standby current, has a wide range of output; 0.5 to 438 lumens, plus a strobe mode, and the V20C feels great in your hand and is easy to use! Fitted with a CREE XM-L T6 LED, the light generates up to 438 lumens' output. Compatible with both two CR123A batteries and one single 18650, the V20C maintains a great balance between high output and runtime. The V20C is an elegant flashlight with a solid structure and convenient size. This light is an ideal lighting tool for every-day-carry, outdoor activities, military defense and hunting.
Since SUNWAYMAN entered the market, its innovative and user-friendly magnetic control interface has become the brand's symbol. The V20C brings the fully variable magnetic control technique to another level; it perfectly integrates the super-low standby current, has a range of 0.5 to 438 lumens output and integrates a strobe mode.
Fitted with a CREE XM-L T6 high powered LED, the V20C generates up to 438 lumens' output, and can shine as little as 0.5 lumens. The fully variable interface combined with the high-efficiency optical system makes this light ideal for a variety of lighting circumstances.
The V20C is designed to prevent the flashlight from reverse batteries, so there is no need to worry about damages to the battery or circuit. Even if you insert a battery reversely, the protection circuit will effectively protect the flashlight, battery and your safety.
The V20C is compatible with both 2 x CR123A batteries and 1 x 18650 battery, which can satisfy your demands for battery versatility and efficiency.
Features:

• CREE XM-L LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;
  • Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system - slightly twist the Rotator Ring from left to right to select desired mode from super-low current standby, output ranging from 0.5 to 438 lumens, to strobe function:
    • Max: 438 Lumens (2hrs)
    • Min: 0.5 Lumen (120hrs)
    • Strobe: 438 Lumens
  • Standby current is 50 μA when the light is at OFF mode
  • Constant current circuit, constant output
  • Effective range of 300 meters
  • Uses two 3V CR123A batteries or one single 18650 battery
  • Working voltage: 3~8.4V
  • High quality reflector maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
  • Dimensions: 134mm (length) x 32mm (head diameter) x 25.5mm (tail diameter)
  • Weight: 120g(battery excluded)
  • Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
  • Military Specification Type III- hard anodized body
  • Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard
  • Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
  • Tactical forward click switch with momentary on
  • Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle
  • Accessories: Metal tactical ring, lanyard, holster, O-ring, rubber cap

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
The Sunwayman V60C might fit your bill, as it is designed to slot into a charger rather than having to remove the cells each time. A review here.