Effectiveness of adding extra heatsinks to a flashlight

LRJ88

Enlightened
I was playing around with the idea of adding extra heatsinks to some of my flashlights earlier today and started looking around to see if this was something that was really looked at before, i didn't quite find anything that concerned already-built flashlights so i figured i'd ask the people here considering there's likely more knowledge floating around here about the subject than anywhere else.

Would adding extra heatsinks, such as the 9x9mm variant available for Raspberry Pi builds, to a flashlight be able to help the thermal dissipation to any noticeable degree in such a way that it is worth doing it? I've been looking at my Fenix PD35 2.0 and Olight S30R II, mainly due to the flats on the head making it easier to add heatsinks without further modification, but if it turns out it's actually a viable solution to keep them nice and less scorching hot i wouldn't be too unwilling to slap some thermal epoxy on the head of other flashlights as well and add extra heatsinks on them.

The question is, is it effective enough to actually warrant the modification, or would it change so little it isn't worth it?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different concept but reminds me of Electrolumens — back in the early days of LEDs when they were driving relatively inefficient LEDs really hard he used to mount the led to a block of copper.

As for adding a heatsink it would help but there needs to be a thermal path away from the source (led) to the sink. Not sure that gluing them on would allow enough heat transfer.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Different concept but reminds me of Electrolumens — back in the early days of LEDs when they were driving relatively inefficient LEDs really hard he used to mount the led to a block of copper.

As for adding a heatsink it would help but there needs to be a thermal path away from the source (led) to the sink. Not sure that gluing them on would allow enough heat transfer.

That's what i'm kinda concerned about as well, unless it's possible to attach them right by the led on the outside to let them sink as good as possible.

You would definitely need to remove the anodizing under the heatsink.

That's something i've been somewhat curious about, it doesn't seem as if anodising (at least HAII and below) makes any difference on the thermal path, that could very well be my reading of it and that i've gotten the wrong idea, but if it had that much of an impact it makes me wonder if cooling fins on flashlights shouldn't be without any anodising then.