Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
No 26650 support.

I'll pass. :devil:

Actually thinking of getting an Ogaz. But I've seen the videos of the hammering, but I've also seen torture tests of Jetbeams too.

Enlightened
LOL!!!! Oh wait, you were serious? :rolleyes:

LOL.... :D I knew this would come out....

I am serious. Well i know i could use 16340s, but the hit in capacity is quite a fair bit like more than half. So that definitely does not taste sweet. Managing like 8 pcs of 16340 and to be part of about 8-10 people in the team is not fun. CR123 costs a lot in my country be it locally or shipped, probably i/we/they would easily have raked > $5000 in batteries per year if I/we/they use it in reality. (it's nearly 2 sets 18650 per night). We In addition to the HIDs, they also use budgetlights and Jetbeam RRT-2 for the rougher conditions. The good thing about budgetlights is that switches/lenses are always cheap and available and believe it or not some are tough. The single RRT-2 i sent over (it's being used in Indonesia) already is pretty scractched up and it's used by the team leader. HIDs do not surive once they drop 50-60m to the soft ground from tropical trees.

Wait...maybe more than $5000 per year.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you won't be using it as a weaponlight, you can use a pair of 14500 in it, if you get the 3-cell model.

The reason that no serious weaponlight-rated lights use the li-ion rechargeables is that the recoil can wreck the battery's protection IC, and that compromises the light.
Serious lights don't use li-ion rechargeables if they are intended for combat roles.
That's why Surefire doesn't do it either.
But you a get around it with a 3-cell model and a pair of 14500. Only 750mah, though. But it will give you the recharging ability, and give you the right voltage.

calflash

Enlightened
Policescannerman (or anyone else) - I see you are a fan of malkoff lights and elzetta lights. Could you describe the differences between the housings? Advantages and disadvantages of one vs. the other?

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
I also very much appreciate my Elzetta's. They're tough, reliable, use Malkoff-modules and offer a variety of interchangeable tailcaps, bodies and bezels. They're worth the price.

Policescannerman (or anyone else) - I see you are a fan of malkoff lights and elzetta lights. Could you describe the differences between the housings? Advantages and disadvantages of one vs. the other?

Calflash, maybe this thread by pjandyho answers some of your questions.

'How does Elzetta ZFL-M60 stack up to Malkoff MD2?':
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-does-Elzetta-ZFL-M60-stack-up-to-Malkoff-MD2

P.S.: I do wish Elzetta could also offer completely round 2-cell and 3-cell bodies with removable / adjustable rubber grip rings, comparable to the SureFire Z2 / Z3 bodies, without being accused of SF patent infringement. THAT would make great hand held tactical lights! Anybody at Elzetta reading this? :)

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
best kept secret
I just checked prices and now have to disagree.

Whats the secret in a light that costs more than a custom HA/custom colored overady P60 host, bored for 18650, with McKlicky, together with a custom made nailbender multimode P60 insert?

If it were less, then ...

FPSRelic

Enlightened
yellow said:
I just checked prices and now have to disagree.

Whats the secret in a light that costs more than a custom HA/custom colored overady P60 host, bored for 18650, with McKlicky, together with a custom made nailbender multimode P60 insert?

If it were less, then ...

It's the ruggedness of the elzetta's displayed in the videos that makes them look awesome. I'm not even sure my surefires can take the kind of beating shown in those videos.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I am mystified on why there is not much talk about Elzetta
My guess is that the company is still small enough that their ad budget is somewhat limited & they are target marketing rather than blanket marketing. They run a banner ad on AR15.com, post regularly there, and are a well respected light. Their focus is weapon lights & they've recently brought out a tape switch that allows forward mounting the light on any AR-type rifle & activating it with the non trigger hand.

They are not difficult to bore to 18mm. Someone will turn up to professionally
do the work.
I haven't yet bored an Elzetta but it looks like there's plenty of tube thickness to work with.

SF = no 18650 support
Elzetta = no 18650 support
Everything I've read on AR15.com indicates that primaries are the preferred power source for weapon lights, both for long guns & pistols. It isn't surprising that battle lights like SF & Elzetta are designed around primaries.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
The ones I've handled were certainly high quality, and having Gene's dropins are never a negative. And I know they are tough, but I just can't get past the aesthetics. I pit them in the same category as Sig handguns. I know they are good in quality of construction, materials, and performance... but nothing in their line gets me excited.

Reactions: SWF

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I've handled were certainly high quality, and having Gene's dropins are never a negative. And I know they are tough, but I just can't get past the aesthetics. I pit them in the same category as Sig handguns. I know they are good in quality of construction, materials, and performance... but nothing in their line gets me excited.

Of course, the visual aspect is subjective, and different people have different aesthetic tastes.
However, I will say that when you get the light and hold it in your hand and look at it, it looks quite a bit smaller than in the pictures. And the proportions look much more appropriate. The pictures all seem to make the head look very big, and the head isn't really very big at all. In fact, the entire light isn't as big as it seems to be in all the photos.
It is a much more appealing light "in person". At least, I think it is.

Also, the Elzetta is confidence-inspiring when you hold it. You just *know* that this light is NOT gonna break, no matter what you do to it. It is the most solid-feeling light I have ever held.
This is something you can't experience from a picture.
Also, the tailswitch is exceptionally good. The momentary has great press action, and it is very predictable in operation. And even when you click it, it is almost silent in operation. And with the hi/lo, the mode change is a 1/8 twist of the tailcap, which is quick and easy and all done with the same hand from the tactical position without changing grip. And you can select the brightness level with the tailcap when the light is off, so you don't ever have it come on the the wrong mode if you pay attention.
That's some other things that you don't see in a picture.

The quality of the HAIII is incredible, and the best I have ever seen, bar none. You can sort of see that in the picture, but it's even better "in person".

It's not a lightweight light, but it probably the most rugged light in existence. I think it is the pinnacle of all tactical lights, and is the new benchmark for tactical.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea of what runtime on high would be with a 17670 in the 2-cell body?

BIG45-70

Enlightened

I got an hour and a half at full output and another 2 hours of lower output light. I ended the test at 3 hours because this satisfied my need. I'm not sure how much longer it would have ran for.

Enlightened
Hey....i never knew that it could run off a 17670. If that's the case then it's not too bad. I just might get one someday.

BIG45-70, can i confirm that with a single cell (17670) it only drops out of regulation (ie full output) when the cell goes below 3.4V under load?

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
just might have to try one someday soon. can anyone confirm if the elzetta high/strobe tailcap fits on and works properly on the md2/md3 bodys?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an hour and a half at full output and another 2 hours of lower output light. I ended the test at 3 hours because this satisfied my need. I'm not sure how much longer it would have ran for.
Thank you for taking the time to check BIG45-70, I really appreciate that. :clap:

dirtech

Enlightened
That would be quite handy in conjunction with a high/low ring. Two sets of two modes quickly accessible.

just might have to try one someday soon. can anyone confirm if the elzetta high/strobe tailcap fits on and works properly on the md2/md3 bodys?