Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just in the past couple of days received (influenced to purchase based on PSM's opinion and my own research) a couple of Elzettas - both ZFL-M60 - one with the crenelated bezel and high/strobe - one with low profile bezel and high/low. Both with Malkoff 8 degree M60 modules.

I love 'em, and the Glock comparison is a good one. What's not to love? They are bullet proof, solid lights. I may have to do my own 'mini-review' this weekend, but for now I have to agree with PSM's OP in that these lights do not seem to get the attention that they deserve.

I'll mount the CB hi/strobe version on my AR - the low profile version will go into my dog walking light rotation.

Great to buy a "Made In America" light that will likely withstand the worst possible torture!

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I too have been reading about them and watching youtube. I am considering purchasing a 2 cell. I like primary batteries, I have a ton of them and I can keep a box of 12 in several locations.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the design of Elzetta and considered to get one or two of these. But I am dissapointed they don't offer lens & gasket alone, only together with Malkoff M61 dropin. That's because I would like to use it with some of the M61W dropins.
Anyway I still consider to get one complete configuration with high/low and M60.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any more photos? The website is kind of limited on information posted. The 3 cell Elzetta has been on my wish list for a while. I would like to see more information on the host itself. And as a comparison to a Surefire or Solarforce host. Just to see if the extra money for the host is worth it. Do they give the buyer any options on drop-ins?

diesel79

Enlightened
I have had a 3 cell one for a month or so now. I really like it. Good runtimes and very high quality. They have always answered very promptly when I have emailed them. Awesome customer service and an awesome product.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the design of Elzetta and considered to get one or two of these. But I am dissapointed they don't offer lens & gasket alone, only together with Malkoff M61 dropin. That's because I would like to use it with some of the M61W dropins.
Anyway I still consider to get one complete configuration with high/low and M60.

You can buy the lens and gasket on the Malkoffdevices.com site...

Any more photos? The website is kind of limited on information posted. The 3 cell Elzetta has been on my wish list for a while. I would like to see more information on the host itself. And as a comparison to a Surefire or Solarforce host. Just to see if the extra money for the host is worth it. Do they give the buyer any options on drop-ins?

You can choose between 20 degree or 8 degree on full light configurations - you can order the various parts and assemble your own configuration on their web site - tail cap, bezel, body, drop in, o-rings - everything. I plan to do a short review this weekend and will offer some comparison photos of 2 cell versus Surefire models...

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have been reading about them and watching youtube. I am considering purchasing a 2 cell. I like primary batteries, I have a ton of them and I can keep a box of 12 in several locations.

And good to know that you can use 2 RCRs with the 2 cell body - I have 2 AW RCRs in one of mine right now. The Malkoff M60 can handle up to 9 Volts, I believe.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Oh yeah baby, glad to see this thread get bumped! Still loving my elzettas. Glad youre happy with yours Dan.

(BTW> were not quite even, your Haiku CRI thread made me spring for one! :D )

scout24

Flashaholic
Bombproof host, and the chances of you hurting that Malkoff drop-in are pretty much zero, watch some of the Elzetta abuse videos... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Bussy Hackett

Newly Enlightened
When I was looking into my first hi intensity LED I looked and looked then put the project down as not to burn out. I looked into the Elzetta and was blown away WOW you can beat nails with it and take it apart underwater cool!

Well I can say if I want to beat nails I'll use a hammer if I want to submerse my light I'll buy a dive light. With this marketing of tougher than nails eh left me kinda cold. I don't want to beat the heck out of my light nor do I want to submerse either.

The fact you can't put 18650 in it weighs more to me than a hammer light. The fact that i can get another manufacturer with higher output and longer run times is way better than any light I can take apart under water. Is the light tough....yea yes it is with out a doubt.

Can I find a light with a brighter output that I can attach to my weapon with longer run time....yep. For me I know their a start up company but for the price...you at least I think and it's just me.... you can find a less expensive higher output light.

For me I chose a Klarus why....higher output easy of use and price. I'm not gonna build a house with my flashlight nor am I gonna clean it in the shower with me. Just my 2 cents for what that's worth....maybe a penny!

diesel79

Enlightened
The light is obviously designed to take abuse. It so happens to double as a flashlight for everyday use if you want it to. Will most of us normal users need this, probably not, but it is good knowing that I have alight that can take some serious abuse and keep functioning. To me its about the service and warranty after the sale as well, and being made in the USA. Thats just me though and Im new to the flashlight obsession.

Last edited:

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
I carried one on duty for several months and can say it one tough light...

Got a call of a suspicious person. Went to the location, and as a matter of habit, pulled out my light and approached (about 2130 hours). Dude took off and the foot pursuit was on. After playing frogger across a busy street a couple of times (I'm fit and fast, this guy was hopped up on something and running, literally, like a chicken with its head cut off), I got tired of almost getting hit by cars. Clicked my Elzetta on, and from a distance of about 20 yards, threw it at his feet with everything I had just as he turned around to see me heave it at him. The light flipped through the air, creating a strobe effect as it spun, and hit the pavement about a foot in front of him. When the light hit the pavement it sparked (pretty cool at the time) and skittered off into some bushes - still on. The dude in the mean time, put up his hands and immediately told me he was done (he hardly seemed out of breathe - darn narcotics...).

So, the lights are tough. The bezel had a ding in it, but functioned perfect. I would not recommend doing that with a light, or throwing something at someone else - but it worked at the time, and no one got hurt... I may buy another one at some point in the future, but went with a brighter custom light (oveready triple) to help overcome a lot of the ambient lighting of street lights that wash out some of the lower power lights.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
hahoo, both of your trolling posts have been deleted, and you now down to 0 posts. Any further posting by you will be monitored closely.

Bill

dirtech

Enlightened

I emailed them and they said to call them to order and you can get your lens and gasket. If I get one of these I'm only getting the host to use with my existing malkoffs and I'll need lens and gasket.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which throws further in both high and low brightness settings: the Elzetta 2-cell ZFL-M60-SS2D or the Surefire LX2?

Thanks.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which throws further in both high and low brightness settings: the Elzetta 2-cell ZFL-M60-SS2D or the Surefire LX2?

Thanks.

I don't know how far an LX2 throws. I never used one.
My 3 cell Elzetta throws an honest 150 yards down my road on a dark night, with enough light to see anything I need to see.
The M60 has a tight optic of 8 degrees, and it throws pretty good. And the famous Malkoff beam quality and tint are really nice. The M60 is what made Malkoff's reputation. It's really good. XRE-Q4(I think) behind the 8* optic.
I really don't think there is any difference in throw with 2 cells or 3 cells. Just a runtime difference.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted to pick one of these up, but it's a little pricy for my tastes. It is right in line with Pila when it comes to build quality though.

scout24

Flashaholic
Got my low profile bezel 2-cell hi/lo in the mail this evening, and just got back from my second dog walk with it. :) Probably the best finish I've seen on an aluminum light, bar none. The M60 will give white wall hunters fits, but is fantastic outdoors in the dark. I thought it would be more of a pinpoint beam, but was pleasantly suprised. The ability to run primaries, RCR123's or a 17670 was a plus for me. Throws well, and the low level of 15ish lumens is nice. Seems as tough as they come, without being overly chunky. just enough to remind you that you're holding a serious tool. It's a keeper! Thanks for the push, Dan... :nana:

Last edited: