Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main thing that comes to my mind is the proprietary bezel. I don't like the fact that the aperture isn't full-width compared to the Surefire P-series standard. That's my main objection to the Malkoff VME head as well, actually. I bought the titanium version and was all excited about stuffing a Torch Lab Tri-XPG drop-in into it, but the head was too narrow for the drop-in to fit.

It doesn't matter to me if Elzetta hosts are built like tanks, or if Malkoff drop-ins are the best in the business, I want the flexibility to use other products as well. Durability is important to me, but I am willing to sacrifice a little in exchange for better features. Can't do that with a narrow-aperture head.

It's a shame, really, because aside from that one complaint I'd much prefer an Elzetta host instead of a Surefire host.

All valid comments, but the one thing to consider is the fact that Elzetta's pricing structure allows you to lego systems together at no price penalty. Giving the option to purchase the tail switch/cap, body and which ever of their heads you prefer. That's not meant to be "the answer" to your particular concern, but it is indicative of a level of flexibility (especially in purchasing and pricing) that is attractive, at least to me.

Just another opinion....:)

EDIT - I took out my comments about using $urefire heads - I was in error. I apologize.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
All valid comments, but the one thing to consider is the fact that Elzetta's pricing structure allows you to lego systems together at no price penalty. Giving the option to purchase the tail switch/cap and body, and put any E-series head ( or a P series with the appropriate adaptor) you like on it. That's not meant to be "the answer" to your particular concern, but it is indicative of a level of flexibility (especially in purchasing and pricing) that is attractive, at least to me.

Just another opinion....:)
Butbutbut...the head is the coolest looking part! The rest is just a tube with a switch on the end, nothing special.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say, get a spare head, and get out your dremel, file, and sandpaper, and modify the inside of that one head to take the other modules you want.

scout24

Flashaholic
May I ask what does it for you about SF's lights in particular that you find offensive or unattractive about Elzettas? Must be the heads, as fyrstormer said, the rest is just a tube with a switch on the end, nothing special... In my experience, things that are purpose-built to excel at one thing tend to polarize people's opinion as to looks, and the designer couldn't care less as long as it excells at it's desired mission. A-10 Warthog tank killer plane comes to mind. One of the ugliest aircraft in our nation's arsenal, but does well what no other can. I've had the privilege of having them flying over and ahead of me in an air support role, and was not caring about how they look. Humvee, as another example. Back-end-of-the-dog ugly, but they are fantastic at what they were designed to do. I'll keep my Elzetta, and know that I've got a product that was optimized for it's mission. See 12ga. video, read Magpull's quote about having one with over 100,000rds. of .223 on one in all manner of conditions. Maybe you should start another thread singing the praises of SF's designs instead of hanging out here. Sorry for feeding the trolls, but once in a while it bugs me. Give me a time out if you will... :)

purelite

Enlightened
wait a minute. Run4jc, are you saying the Elzetta is compatible with e series SF heads and C series SF heads with an adapter?

I would take Scouts post 1 step further , I find the aesthetic qualities of something to be higher when the designer puts function before form. To me the more purpose built something is and the more successful it is at efficiently acheiving that goal some how makes the resulting form that much more attractive .

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
wait a minute. Run4jc, are you saying the Elzetta is compatible with e series SF heads and C series SF heads with an adapter?

That was an error on my part. I was thinking about my VME head and confused the point. Sorry! No, the Elzetta is NOT compatible with E series heads...and I've never tried a 'C' series head, but I will and will update the post afterwards. I apologize, and will edit my post.

And I agree with you and Scout on the aesthetic qualities - and I find these lights to be aesthetically pleasing. My uninformed guess is that those who might think otherwise have probably never set eyes on an actual Elzetta specimen...I could be wrong....

UPDATE - I did try a $urefire 6P head on the Elzetta host. The threads matched and it attached, although not as deeply as it should. I put a Nailbender light engine in it and it did work, but only at one level. It appears to me that there is just enough difference to prevent full compatibility, although 'in a pinch' it will work.

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened
Thanx RunJc!! I got excited there for a minute!!!

Hey, can you quickly say if a Surefire Z41 type tailcap will fit on an Elzetta body since you have things right there? I dont think I have ever read about that end of the light and compatibility

fyrstormer

Banned
I say, get a spare head, and get out your dremel, file, and sandpaper, and modify the inside of that one head to take the other modules you want.
I've thought of that before. Unfortunately I can't re-anodize the area I shave off. Now, if they made a titanium special edition, I could work with that...

fyrstormer

Banned
A-10 Warthog tank killer plane comes to mind. One of the ugliest aircraft in our nation's arsenal, but does well what no other can. I've had the privilege of having them flying over and ahead of me in an air support role, and was not caring about how they look.
I wonder if I'm the only person on earth who thinks the A-10 looks pretty cool. It's not elegant, admittedly, but that's not the point. The point is it can fly low to the ground and blow s**t up at close range. Though I have to admit, if I could only own one military aircraft (as opposed to my current collection of zero :(), it would have to be a V-22.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really interested personally. They are
1. Ugly compared to Surefire lights.
2. Not really idea as a P60 host since they are missing a lens and aren't compatible with 18650 cells, the latter can be fixed by boring of course.
3. No pocket clip and not compatible with aftermarket Surefire upgrades like bezel rings, Derelin shrouds, McClickys etc.
Your mileage may vary.

1. Surefire lights are utilitarian, not pretty. No one buys Surefires because of their beauty!
2. You can buy lenses for M61, etc. Not very costly, either. For a weapon light, you don't want rechargeables, primaries are more reliable for the use these flashlights are intended for.
3. You don't need these particular "upgrades". The bezel is tough enough as it is, the Derlin shroud would get in the way of easy one-finger operation as the light hangs from its weapon, and the switch is fine for its intended use as well.

And what about the pluses of this light? Don't they deserve a mention?

4. You get the hi-low choice in the tailcap, which is not easily available in some other surefire lego setups.
5. You get a strobe option! A great option that is even less easily available in the surefire lego setups with Malkoff drop-ins.
6. You get continued availability of the M60! This is now not normally offered by Malkoff devices, as they have moved on to the M61 line. Yet may of us liked its optic much better (as always, for certain uses) than the reflectored M61. So this is great to ensure continued availability.
7. The "tolerances" of this light are tighter than with the Surefire legos, which often need some tweaking to work--maybe copper rings, copper tape, other tinkering here and there. The extra "gasket" type water protection (inside the light) also helps protect this against water incursions. You can achieve something similar with surefire legos, but maybe not as easily (since it is not in the design, as such) or reliably.

Basically, why criticize a light by saying it doesn't do something outside of its main intended use as well as other lights that are designed for these other uses? Even to use it outside of its main intended use as a weapon light, the Elzetta is pretty useful, as a 2x123 primary (or 2xRCR123) light that is pretty impervious to water and to other malfunctions, with the option of hi-low or hi-strobe which is most often unavailable in similar surefire lego contraptions. No one stops anyone from having also more than one light for different situations!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Surefire lights are utilitarian, not pretty. No one buys Surefires because of their beauty!
2. You can buy lenses for M61, etc. Not very costly, either. For a weapon light, you don't want rechargeables, primaries are more reliable for the use these flashlights are intended for.
3. You don't need these particular "upgrades". The bezel is tough enough as it is, the Derlin shroud would get in the way of easy one-finger operation as the light hangs from its weapon, and the switch is fine for its intended use as well.

And what about the pluses of this light? Don't they deserve a mention?

4. You get the hi-low choice in the tailcap, which is not easily available in some other surefire lego setups.
5. You get a strobe option! A great option that is even less easily available in the surefire lego setups with Malkoff drop-ins.
6. You get continued availability of the M60! This is now not normally offered by Malkoff devices, as they have moved on to the M61 line. Yet may of us liked its optic much better (as always, for certain uses) than the reflectored M61. So this is great to ensure continued availability.
7. The "tolerances" of this light are tighter than with the Surefire legos, which often need some tweaking to work--maybe copper rings, copper tape, other tinkering here and there. The extra "gasket" type water protection (inside the light) also helps protect this against water incursions. You can achieve something similar with surefire legos, but maybe not as easily (since it is not in the design, as such) or reliably.

Basically, why criticize a light by saying it doesn't do something outside of its main intended use as well as other lights that are designed for these other uses? Even to use it outside of its main intended use as a weapon light, the Elzetta is pretty useful, as a 2x123 primary (or 2xRCR123) light that is pretty impervious to water and to other malfunctions, with the option of hi-low or hi-strobe which is most often unavailable in similar surefire lego contraptions. No one stops anyone from having also more than one light for different situations!

+1 :clap::goodjob:

And oh, by the way, the comment about primaries in the Elzetta / Malkoff combo is spot on. Scout24 got 53 hours of constant run time on low out of the included Battery Station primaries - I got 2 hours 10 minutes on high, then another useful 28 hours on low out of mine. I've favored rechargeables (and still will with some lights), but with 10 years shelf life and this kind of run time, my Elzetta mounted on my AR (i.e., SHTF light) will always have primaries in it - and I'll be confident that I'll have useful light for quite a long time after any of my RCRs beyond the time I'd safely get from my RCRs.

Great post, Flashy Bazook!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
hahoo said:
very ugly light.... sorry......
Not nearly as ugly as this, only your second post since joining. If you've nothing constructive to add then go find a thread that actually holds interest to you, and refrain from trolling.
hahoo, both of your trolling posts have been deleted, and you now down to 0 posts. Any further posting by you will be monitored closely.

Bill
They are 1. Ugly compared to Surefire lights.
Can we get on subject and quit with the subjective troll inducing suggestion that the lights are ugly, particularly when many of us feel otherwise?

Unless anyone really thinks that the industry's best kept secret is the ugliness of Elzetta's lights then it's not pertinent to this thread and it would be much more enjoyable to read about the lights tangible qualities rather than ugly comments on their appearance.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing that I first noticed about these lights was I thought they were very attractive, cool looking lights. The second thing was that they are bomb proof and well engineered! They are very versatile lights that will last a lifetime. In all types of usage.

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Im VERY tempted to pick this light up... Looks like you can get a M60F (20 Degree flood) direct from Elzetta. Unfortuately, I am one of these poor lost souls that doesnt have any Malkoff drop in's and most of the people I work with are still stuck in the Surefire mode (NO mods). And thats where my dilemma starts...I have a O-Light on my rifle right now. Im looking for something with a little more flood. Originally, I was planning to buy a built 6P from Oveready but seeing these reviews got me thinking of picking one up. This light will probably stay on my rifle - which is DEFINITELY not a safe queen. Ive been in Capt. Nemo's position more than once. Ok - the light is tough as HELL. I get it! I got the point after the first shotgun blast....Dont need any more vids/pics of that but I would like to see...

Some pics of the light down a cluttered hallway..Light shining along side of a brick house into a yard..emptying out into a back yard with a shed..can anyone help out?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Neo, you can buy the Elzetta parts A la carte, they take any Malkoff P60 Drop in. So if you want a M61, just buy that and a lens kit. I think Elzetta sells them too.

As far as beamshots, there are tons, just search for Malkoff Beamshots! ;)